I think I want a new stock on my Garand.

PDA

SaxonPig
November 17, 2009, 07:45 PM
I want the rifle to look better than is possible with the really bad wood that came on my HR M1. CMP sells a black walnut stock for $118.95. Anyone have any experience with these? How do they look and fit? Supposed to be a drop in... or drop on, maybe? Are they?

How about the Boyd's stock. I recall hearing that Boyd's supplies the CMP. True? Their price is $109.95. Does the CMP just add $9 or is there some difference? Boyd's website states the stocks are "slightly oversize." What does that mean? All over or just where metal parts fit, requiring some sanding and fitting? They say the stocks are finished so I assume they don't plan on you sanding down the entire thing, do they?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "I think I want a new stock on my Garand." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
November 17, 2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.dgrguns.com/New-M1-Garand-Stocks.htm#Frequently_Asked_Question_Regarding_M1_Stock_Sets

I have a CMP walnut and a CMP birch. (came on the rifles; I didn't install them). Both fit fine. Both are proud around the handguards. Both are thicker through the grip and stock than the WWII profile.

I personally feel a slimmer profile and correctly sanded/fitted handguards makes a big difference in the feel and "heft" of the M1. I don't think I'm going to buy any more aftermarket/big stocks personally.

61chalk
November 17, 2009, 08:31 PM
CMP stocks are great, when I bought one they said it would work without any work...an they were right. I have a HRA an the stock an grip feel like holding a baseball bat...the CMP stock has a much narrower grip an everything feels perfect. I new tighter stock, after a few rounds will probably bring you better accuracy as well...I give the CMP stocks a perfect score of A+.

SlamFire1
November 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
CMP stocks are made by Boyds.

A nice new Boyd's stock will fit tight and the rifle will shoot a little better.

Garand stocks are one of the few things Boyd's seems to be able to do correctly. Their 03 stocks are dimensionally off.

If you have an original H&R stock, don't dump it. HRA GI stocks are hard to find.

rondog
November 17, 2009, 08:55 PM
It's my understanding (and I may be wrong), but the CMP's stock sets are made by Boyd's, and then they're finished up by DuPage Trading Co. who recontours them to WWII dimensions and finishes them. I guess the Boyd's dimensions are closer to the post WWII/Korean War vintage stocks. Now this is the external dimensions, not any of the metal fitting dimensions.

At least this is what I've "heard". I have a new Boyd's set that I got from Midway, still in the box, and it feels a little "fatter" than the stock on my M1 right now.

CZguy
November 17, 2009, 11:07 PM
It's my understanding (and I may be wrong), but the CMP's stock sets are made by Boyd's, and then they're finished up by DuPage Trading Co. who recontours them to WWII dimensions and finishes them. I guess the Boyd's dimensions are closer to the post WWII/Korean War vintage stocks. Now this is the external dimensions, not any of the metal fitting dimensions.

That's what I've read over at the CMP forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "I think I want a new stock on my Garand." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!