History of Gun Control

PDA

Jonesy9
November 7, 2003, 02:47 PM
I'm still a relative newbie (under 5 years) to firearms. While reading Unitended Consequences I had never heard about the various gun control acts passed since the late 1800's. I always thought it was a liberal thing born out of the post Vietnam era. I knew machine guns got banned in the 30's , that's it.

Any good books you'd recommend to back up some of the stuff I'm reading in Ross's book? It's pretty fascinating actually. Blacks couldn't but guns in some places just 30 years ago?? Any recomendations greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "History of Gun Control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baba Louie
November 7, 2003, 03:10 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879757566/002-0532091-7374409?v=glance

Samurai. Mountie and the Cowboy by Kopel is a good place to start.
Others will be forthcoming as I find them.

Adios

TarpleyG
November 7, 2003, 03:31 PM
Actually, machine guns were never banned. Just taxed. They didn't start banning stuff until Klinton was in office and America died.

GT

ny32182
November 7, 2003, 03:36 PM
New MG production was banned in '86 well before Klinton was in office.

Imported "assault rifles" were banned from continued import in '89 before Klinton was in office.

Bush JR supports the extension of Klinton's '94 AWB.

Funny how all politicians are really pretty much the same when it comes right down to it.

Baba Louie
November 7, 2003, 07:42 PM
Do a search for Stephen Halbrook and his books on the subject. Don Kates as well.

www.jpfo.org can lead you into some interesting parallels between Germany's gun control laws and America's GCA 68.

Or you could just do a little research on the 14th amendment (I think Halbrook has done this for you).

A simple search of Gun Control +Racism will reveal much writings on the subject.

Good hunting. You're in for an eye-opener.

Adios

tcdrennen
November 7, 2003, 08:08 PM
Clayton Cramer's work has been seminal in tracing The Racist Roots of Gun Control (http://keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=916) .

Basically, there was NO gun control in the US until slave owners began to fear their chattels and abolitionists; then after Reconstruction, the Jim Crow laws were specifically aimed at keeping the black population disarmed.

And most Northern and Western state gun control laws were originally and specifically aimed at keeeping the Irish/Italians/Asians/Feared-Minority-Of-The-Week population from arming themselves.

The '68 Gun Control Act, while ostensibly a reaction to assassinations, was mainly to keep Black Panthers etc. from getting guns too easily.

Even Britain had almost no 'gun control' until the lower classes started getting uppity; the first laws prohibited non land owners from having guns - it was aimed at anarchists and Irish workers (of course.) :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "History of Gun Control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!