New - 17 HMR - question?

PDA

joejoeshooter
November 17, 2009, 11:48 PM
Just bought a new Savage 93/17 today. Thumb hole, bull barrel, really good Tasco scope and fold under bi-pod.

$320 OTD - used from pawn shop. was asking $495 - whatever...I'm pretty sure it's been shot less than a box or so.

Can't wait to get out Saturday.

My question -

Can I shoot 17 mach 2 through this rifle???

Thanks in advance.

jjs

If you enjoyed reading about "New - 17 HMR - question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 17, 2009, 11:58 PM
No you cannot. Not successfully anyway.

These are great rifles; congrats.

This, however, is axiomatically oxymoronic: really good Tasco scope

But who knows - maybe YOUR reticle won't break before it's ever even mounted. :)

HGUNHNTR
November 18, 2009, 12:00 AM
Nice rifle, but I agree with Dr. Winslow. Kinda like finding a really good Jennings and some cheap .380 ammo.

joejoeshooter
November 18, 2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah - I know they're not good. But it's a better one than the scopes that there including on the new 17's at Dick's.

What inexpensive scope would you recommend? less than $100?

Thanks Dr. Tad!

jjs

Maverick223
November 18, 2009, 01:10 AM
What inexpensive scope would you recommend? less than $100?Put a Centerpoint 4-16x40mm on my 10/22 a couple days ago. It is a great scope for the price (about $70.00USD at WW). The only fault that I have found is that the color washes out at higher magnification (over about 12x), however it has retained zero, has good features, and acceptable glass. The additional magnification will certainly come in handy with those tiny holes from the .17cal.

:)

Uncle Mike
November 18, 2009, 01:24 AM
Sportsmans guide has some 'Intensity' brand (Federal/ATK) scopes on sale at a VERY good price. the price they are selling them for is from $60-$90, depending on the model...and these prices are the same we paid dealer cost for.
We sold a boat load of those scopes, and believe it or not, had none come back or received no complaints.

I took 3 of them home and have put them on various 22's and a 5mm Remington bolt action.

I purchased the 2.8-10X44 and a couple 3.8-12X44 Adjustable Objective units...so far, so good! Both models have the 'Aspherical' lens system.

These scopes are the same as the weaver classic series as far as the manufacturer.
Limited lifetime warranty.

RonE
November 18, 2009, 01:57 AM
[I][Yeah - I know they're not good. But it's a better one than the scopes that there including on the new 17's at Dick's./I]

Perhaps, but again, perhaps not.

Choose a scope for the job you want to do with it, not for price alone.

If you enjoyed reading about "New - 17 HMR - question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!