Appleseed Question

PDA

DT Guy
November 18, 2009, 07:50 AM
I've looked over the Appleseed website, and haven't found a firm answer to a couple questions. Hope a 'rifleman' here might be able to clarify.
1-It seems that, while optics are allowed, iron sights are strongly preferred. As a cross-dominant old guy, my eyesight for rifle shooting is sketchy at best. Can you still pass the test and earn your 'rifleman' with optics?
2-If optics will work for earning the rifleman patch, what would you recommend on a HB 10/22? (It currently is wearing a 12-24x, which obviously isn't appropriate.)

Appreciate any help,

Larry

If you enjoyed reading about "Appleseed Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WesM
November 18, 2009, 10:13 AM
I can only tell you my experience -

Optics are allowed. Part of the Appleseed training I received, however, is how to correctly use military-style aperture sights. In fact, most of the shooters at my Appleseed were using scoped 10/22s. I shot the first day with a 10/22 with Tech-Sights, and the 2nd day with a scoped 10/22. My scores didn't change much; the only advantage I saw was that I could see my grouping with the scope on the 2nd day before I walked downrange.

Yes, you can pass the test and earn Rifleman with optics.

As far as recommendations, I don't know what to tell you other than I probably wouldn't recommend anything more than your average 3x9. All of our shooting at my Appleseed was done at 25 yards. Remember, no bipods are allowed, so naturally, there will be some shake through the scope, especially on the standing shots. So I would think a 4x up to a 7x or 9x max is what you would want.

Good luck!

DT Guy
November 20, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Wes-just the info I needed.

Larry

wishin
November 20, 2009, 09:50 PM
I know some guys that did the Appleseed thing and you need to know that it's real basic. If you've been shooting for a while and are a reasonably good shot, don't waste your time.

DT Guy
November 21, 2009, 10:58 PM
It's shooting-how can it be a waste of time? :D

Larry

wishin
November 21, 2009, 11:02 PM
LOL. hard to argue with that! Have fun.

November 22, 2009, 12:23 AM
I personally don't think it would be a waste of time. But, depending on what kind of shooting experience you have, it could be.
If you are an experienced competitor in service rifle matches, then you probably won't learn much at these clinics. If you truely know the shooting positions, natural point of aim, use of a shooting sling...................... (and not just think you know), then maybe you don't need to go.
However, if you are like probably 99% of firearm owners out there, there is a lot to learn through formal training and the Appleseed clinics are a very easy way to get quality training without spending a lot of money and vacation time.
Most people that own guns think they know how to shoot. They don't. A lot of people think that they are a lot better than they really are. A huge majority of gun owners don't know the basics of shooting even though they may shoot and have some success at it. As one large shooting school taught me: Until you have had formal training, you don't know what it is that you don't know. Put another way, you think you know what you are doing, but you don't have all the pieces to the puzzle.

I can tell you that in my case, I have been shooting since my age was measured in single digit numbers. And I have owned guns since that time. Shooting has been my primary hobby my whole life. I have been through the military marksmanship training. I have hunted for most of my life. I have competed in local rifle matches and have won a few of them. I not only got something out of the Appleseed courses, I went back a second time for more. I vaguely intend to attend them in the future if the opportunity presents itself.

I also think that the targets that Fred sells and that you use in the Appleseed shoots are well worth looking into. You do all your shooting at 25 yards. So, it is much easier for more people to find a place where they can practice their rifle shooting. And, if you put yourself on a serious training regimen using these targets, you will likely improve your shooting markedly.

The thing about sights at these classes are that they teach you to approch zeroing a rifle as well as knowing your sight dope in a methodical way. You fire a group. You see how many minutes you need to move your sights and your next group should be right where you need it to be. Same with your sight dope: you don't just guess and use Kentucky windage. You estimate the range and precisely adjust your sights for that range.
There is no reason you can't use a scope. And, you will get something out of the sight information that works just fine with your scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Appleseed Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!