She's coming along

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 18, 2009, 07:24 PM
Working toward a do-it-all "Just One" non-rimfire Huntin' & Self-Defense rifle concept. All she needs now (which granted is a LOT) is:

1. Suppressor
2. Veritable buttload of tuned handloads
3. A 2nd identical clone rifle for backup
4. A happy switch

In that order. I'll probably eventually get #1 - #3, but won't get #4 of course. :( #3 may prove difficult since these are now discontinued by DPMS for some reason

Long ways to go, but a pretty good start.

What you've got here is a DPMS LR-260 Light, with 18" threaded .260 Rem barrel, ERGO brand grip, tac-latch, single-point sling, ACE stock, Nikon Omega 1.65-5x36mm scope in Warne Maxima rings.

The old scope I swapped out yesterday ended up being way too heavy for this rifle's intended purposes (all-purpose), so it had to go - it was an Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm. Good news is I have a very cool scope to put on *something*. Bad news is another rifle is short its 'perfect scope' (this Nikon Omega).

Sorry for the bad pics - hard to believe that the I phone camera is this crappy.

If you enjoyed reading about "She's coming along" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
November 18, 2009, 07:30 PM
That is the first warm & fuzzy AR I have seen. :p Good choice of cartridge, very practical for target shooting and hunting thin skinned game.

:)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 18, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hee; trying to keep it very lightweight & simple.... Not a lot of bells & whistles; just the necessities.

I've had to accept that, to make it truly useful for "fighting", the two things it can't and won't be are a long-range 'interdiction' rifle, and an african DG hunting rifle, due to (1) low power scope, and (2) the limited energy / light loads - the loads I'll be running are going to be on the mild side, below max for .260 -- and I will start testing with 120 flat based spitzers (Speer HotCor).

Oh sure, Bell killed elephants with a 7x57 mauser, but that's way to much of an (even theoretical) stretch for a 120 gr flat-based non-premium bullet from an 18" semi-auto barrel, even with head shots and being an anatomy ace.

But aside from those two uses [and not counting *small* varminting and other rimfire work], it will be able to do pretty much everything else a rifle is called upon to do - short- & medium-range self-defense, short- & medium-range large varminting, short- & medium-range hunting of almost anything (with proper CNS target), fun range gun, etc.

Oh wait, one more thing it cannot do: Hunt in states & other places where semi-autos are disallowed. Wait just a second - what's the definition of a "semi-automatic" rifle? "A rifle that automatically loads the next round into the chamber upon firing."? Because I have a gas tube adjustment screw installed on this one - I can turn off the gas and make it into a single shot, to where it does not meet the definition of a semi-auto rifle - wonder if that would fly. :D

Think of it as a slightly beefed-up 6.5 Grendel AR15, which would be a good all-purpose rifle in its own right. :)

I guess I should mosey over to my for sale thread and remove this one - what was I *thinking* when I posted it on the list!? :p

Maverick223
November 18, 2009, 07:47 PM
Think of it as a slightly beefed-up 6.5 Grendel AR15, which would be a good all-purpose rifle in it's own right.Absolutely, another very versatile cartridge with excellent ballistics. How much does she weigh?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 18, 2009, 09:27 PM
When my fish scale turns up, I'll let you know!

Maverick223
November 18, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hehe, I suppose that is better than a bathroom scale.

hadmanysons
November 20, 2009, 01:33 AM
What color is that?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 20, 2009, 10:39 AM
The rifle? All black. True EBR. :scrutiny:

armoredman
November 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
Very nice, sir. :)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you!

Maverick, weighs right about 9.5 lbs in that config. But that's withOUT any mag or ammo, but WITH the sling, scope, rings, and thread protector.

Also, if I can get this dadblamed CF handguard off, I'm gonna attach a mini bottom rail.

Also, after the pics - y'all are gonna laugh at this - I cut the foam padding off of the buffer tube on that ACE stock - it's a bit cold sometimes, but it gets me that critical 1/8" lower for the perfect quick-shoulder cheekweld / sight picture with what you can see there is a very low-mounted optic. :) All I'm using there is normal HIGH Warne rings (not extra-high) with no riser.

Edit: Yeah, I ain't exactly speedy Gonzalez in my response time, eh, Mav? :p

Maverick223
January 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
Way to get back to somebody. :neener: That isn't bad at all...

If you enjoyed reading about "She's coming along" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!