Springfield Armory M6 Survival Rifle

PDA

grahng
November 18, 2009, 07:21 PM
anybody have one of these? Hows it shoot and hold up?
Seen\med like kind of a neat item just to have. don't believe they being manufactured any longer. any ideas where one be picked up?
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory M6 Survival Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CMP
November 19, 2009, 02:29 AM
I never heard of it until you posted it, so I looked it up. Isnt made anymore and there a little exspensive for what they are, I saw them for $400-600. It would be really cool to have though

grahng
November 19, 2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, thought it wold be kinda cool to have. Very different with the over/under aspect and ammo storage.
Have a great day

jmorris
November 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
The “trigger” is odd. It is quite a bit heavier than the AR 7 (Henry makes them now) if you are packing. If you are camping the Savage 24 is a much more accurate combination gun that uses more common 20 ga shells (you can get 12 too) that opens you up to much better slug/buck shot choices than you can get for a .410. The M6 fills a niche; it’s just a really small one.

ROCK6
November 19, 2009, 08:32 AM
They are a robust, compact and simple little gun. A little heavy and the trigger takes some getting used to; it’s designed to be fired with a mitten. Mine is parkerized, but they do have stainless versions out there. The original was designed for the .22 Hornet, but I opted for the .22LR version.

Accuracy is pretty decent for my .22LR. The rear site is a flip type that has a peep for the .22LR and a V-style for the .410. I was going to add a scope, but I opted for an extra Trijicon Reflex sight I had sitting unused. It’s quite bomb-proof and works like a charm for the .22LR. The .410 is more than adequate for 20-25 yards using shot. Buck shot (the 4-5 pellet versions) are okay for 15-20 yards…but not much further. I can keep all the pellets on a man-sized target. Slug rounds are just not accurate enough to be effective for me. I’ve tried a couple different varieties; however, I’ve discounted them and will stick with the buckshot rounds for serious “larger” game hunting or defense.

I also used a brass screw and wing-nut with locking washer for the pivot point. I still have the regular pin, but feel the screw combo is more secure. I also removed the trigger guard as it folds down more compact…are good little guns…although they are pretty heavy for their size. I really wish they would bring them back out as I wouldn’t mine trying a .22 Hornet version, but I’m not paying current prices for one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/DSC03172.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/DSC03173.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/DSC03174.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/DSC03171.jpg

ROCK6

achildofthesky
November 19, 2009, 09:32 AM
You may want to switch the brass screw for a steel one... Just a thought

CMP
November 19, 2009, 12:36 PM
ROCK6, that is cool! I really want one now but im stuck on how much they are going for.

ROCK6
November 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
You may want to switch the brass screw for a steel one... Just a thought

It's a pretty hard brass alloy. I went back and forth on this...I was thinking stainless steel, but after a little research, the bass has less impact on the receiver and is still relatively corrosion resistant. If I may ask, what's your reasoning?

ROCK6

Maverick223
November 20, 2009, 12:50 AM
The trigger (or lever) is pretty bad, otherwise in my limited experience with one, it seems to be pretty decent. Personally I am still waiting on a commercial version of the AR-5.

:)

cane
November 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
Maverick The AR-5 was a bolt action .22Hornet that disassembled and stored in it's stock like an AR-7. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armalite_AR-5

Gordon
November 20, 2009, 10:05 AM
I have 2 .22Hornet models, one Stainless and one not stainless. Besides removing the trigger guards mine are stock. The non stainless has a similar reflex sight to the one pictured above on the rare as hen's teeth factory weaver scope mount. I used it to slaughter live stock out to about 25 yards and the .22 Hornet is perfect for that. Also shot many barn rats with the .410 and fine shot (Rio #12). Asuper handy ranch truck gun that rides in my farm truck always. I have posted pictures of it, I don't thnk I will this time. The stainless gun was used by me when I back packed . Now it goes in my sail boat and my son back packs it. The new 5 pellet 000 load is pretty awesome and decisive within 75 feet or so, Actually the metal cased Wolf slugs are 6" at 30 yards accurate and a usefull and water proof load.

Unistat
November 20, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have one like ROCK6's. I like it a lot. I bought it for a campgun/bug out bag gun but found that my buddies and I enjoy little plinking contests with it as well, the single shot adds some challenge.

One bit of advice. I also took off the trigger guard and found that it is a little tricky to getting everything reassembled. Be careful you don't bend the metal or mar the finish.

Maverick223
November 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
Maverick The AR-5 was a bolt action .22Hornet that disassembled and stored in it's stock like an AR-7.I must be mixing and matching...have never seen a AR-5 (seen plenty of AR-7s). [edited above post]

gjkershul
November 20, 2009, 07:14 PM
I have had one for 19 years. I got it as camping gun in Michigan. My son when he was 12 used the .410 for preserve pheasants.
It has really come into it own as a "useful" mountain/truck grouse gun while Elk hunting or mountain treking in Idaho. Standard velocity .22 s don't ruin meat on our tasty blue or dusky grouse or make too much noise. My best lucky .22shot was at 100yds over open ground. The .410 is great for birds that flush close and is comforting with slugs when I come across wolf or mountain lion tracks.

In the six years I have been in the Golden West the M6 ( with a steel screw wing nut at the pivot point and the trigger guard removed and original sights) has accounted for 27 birds including spruce and ruffed grouse.

Anybody know of a source for a replacement original rear sight? I broke off the peep in a fall last year.

ROCK6
November 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
Anybody know of a source for a replacement original rear sight? I broke off the peep in a fall last year.

Great background on your use! Shoot Springfield an email...they still have parts available.

ROCK6

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory M6 Survival Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!