Condensation in Nikon Prostaff = dead scope?

PDA

bjk7
November 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
Did I kill my scope?

I was elk hunting the other day at around 7,600ft. in a blinding snow squall with just enough snow on the ground to obscure every dang rock, stick and stump. Needless to say, I busted my a** numerous times. Anyway, one of those times, my Prostaff got knocked pretty good. Now I get condensation inside the lenses which goes away when the scope attains ambient air temp. Also, it was way off when I rechecked zero.

What's the prognosis? Dead scope? I hope I can get it zeroed again and make it last through the season. The condensation hasn't been so bad that I can't see through it, yet anyway. But does this mean it is probably DOA?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Condensation in Nikon Prostaff = dead scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skoro
November 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
If it's still under warranty, contact Nikon. They may either repair it or send you a new one. If time is a consideration, just rezero it and let the condensation dry out. It'll probably serve for the rest of your hunting season.

kanook
November 20, 2009, 12:50 PM
Put it in the freezer overnight and checked it again.

Sav .250
November 20, 2009, 01:30 PM
Stuff happens........ Return it to their repair center. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Condensation in Nikon Prostaff = dead scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!