Scope options for a Rem 597..built-in rails or "classic" scope base??

PDA

saturno_v
November 20, 2009, 03:37 PM
So far I had very good results with my 597 with the scope mounted on the standard receiver rails.
However, the rifle has drilled holes if you want to install a classic "big rifle" scope base.
What is your preference?? Do you think a base would improve results?? I think, by logic, it could be worse because you add another piece between your scope and the rifle.
So why Remington offer both options on its rimfire semiauto rifle??

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope options for a Rem 597..built-in rails or "classic" scope base??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
November 21, 2009, 03:18 AM
most makers both drill and tap, and make a rail for scopes. Generally speaking, using the drill/tap holes are allways more stable. With the dovetail rail, you have 2 distinct spots than can scopewalk; the bases on the dovetail, and the scope inside the rings- they can even do it at the same time, acting as counterweights. However , mounting to the rail, usually you can get a scope to sit lower, which is allways a good thing. So i suggest you get wide bases, the kind with two screws going through the bottom, instead of just 1 screw.
and you can also get the kind that has an allen set screw, that goes through the bottom of one of the bases, and bites into the top of the rail, this should be very stable as well.

rangerruck
November 21, 2009, 03:20 AM
oh yeah, I just picked up an older 597, and bought 2 remmy 30 round mags for it. Now I am going to fab a clamp for the 2 mags, and put a green laser up top.
This setup will smoke a gsg-5,and most other tacticool but expensive 22/cool rifles, and be much more reliable, and cheaper!!!! I got the remmy from a pawhshop for 100. bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope options for a Rem 597..built-in rails or "classic" scope base??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!