Opinions on "pinky dangling" handguns?

PDA

Blueduck
January 20, 2003, 04:31 AM
Used to have a 640 with boot grips I could only get a two finger grip on, shot it pretty well. Recently tried a G-27 designed for two finger grip (with me it's more 1 1/2) didn't care for it at all.

Just curious who doesn't mind having thier pinky finger declared obsolete and who won't put up with it and why??

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on "pinky dangling" handguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
January 20, 2003, 04:41 AM
Bugs the fire out of me--thanks for asking :D

I can if I HAVE to, I mean a situation occurs I"ll use anything available. I am /or due to choosing a platform I am a real Big advocate on gun fit. I want to be able to know I can and will hit hit quickly when I have to.

P-11 for instance, adding the extension onto the mags helps with fit > therefore control of gun. I'm guilty of not playing the gun game because fit is so important to me.

Kahr carrier
January 20, 2003, 05:18 AM
It doesnt bother me if its a CCW gun the smaller the better.;)

Hkmp5sd
January 20, 2003, 08:08 AM
Blueduck,

They make a magazine extention for the 27 to give an little extra to hold onto. Some will claim this defeats the purpose of buy a small handgun and you should just buy the next size up to start with. I disagree. I have a G27 with an extension and find it works perfectly for CCW on hot days when I don't carry my G17.

BigG
January 20, 2003, 09:20 AM
I like the S&W pinky danglers. They make nice pocket surprises! Thanks,

George

M1911
January 20, 2003, 09:35 AM
I can't fit my pinky on my Kahr MK9 -- I just curl the pinky under the mag. Works great, gun shoots great, and I can fit the little bugger in my pocket.

Shockly
January 20, 2003, 11:29 AM
I wanted to keep my carry pistols as small as possible, so I removed most of my magazine extensions.
After firing a few hundred rounds without, it feels quite natural with my finger curled under the grip.
In fact, when I occasionly use one of the extended mags at the range, the extension sorta feels in the way.
I'm not sure that I would want to do this with my Kel-Tec P40 if it didn't have the HogueHandal Jr. grip.

GLOCKT
January 20, 2003, 11:37 AM
I to carry the G27.
I shoot with and without the mag extension.
When I first bought it,I became familiar and shot it well without the extension.
I like the Pearce plus 1 extension on the mag.
It doesn't profile for me I carry mid back and shirt untucked.
The dangling pinky doesnt bother my shooting styles or techniques abit.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 20, 2003, 11:38 AM
I have a G27 that is a sweet little shooter--and it has no mag extentions.

Its actually more comfortable to shoot than the G35 I had---that thing was a hand stinging SOB.

10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 11:49 AM
I like the boot grips I have on my j-frame, but every time I pick up my Glock 36, I have to get used to it. But still, for the application, they're fine.

justice4all
January 20, 2003, 12:16 PM
Small handguns are hard to shoot, but easy to hide. With practice, they become less hard to shoot. I don't shoot +P in my KT P11, and I wouldn't use .357 in a J frame.

pogo2
January 20, 2003, 01:48 PM
I have 2 guns with "2-finger" grips - a .38 J-frame with boot grips and a PPK. Neither of these seems too hard to shoot with the short grip, but they are milder rounds than .357 magnum, .40 or .45.

I really prefer a full grip if I can get it, but you have to make compromises for the concealability of the smaller guns. No doubt the 2-finger grip gives some impairment of the control of the gun in shooting rapid fire, but the impairment seems small in such medium calibers as .38 special or .380 ACP. I'm sure it also depends on how strong your hand is and your grip strength.

January 20, 2003, 01:53 PM
This has never bothered me. In fact I never even considered it until I started reading on-line gun boards. After becoming aware of it, I actually feel like it is more natural. Maybe because it seems like the gun is totally in my clenched fist it gives me the illusion of having more control or something :confused:
I only have one "two finger" gun; a NAA mini revolver. The ones were my pinky is under the grip have three fingers and the thumb on the grip.

Skunkabilly
January 20, 2003, 03:19 PM
Is the S&W 66 2.5" a pinky dangler?

Zundfolge
January 20, 2003, 03:46 PM
My Kahr MK40 isn't a bullseye or IPSC gun, its an "Oh **** that guy's gonna rob me!" gun that has to stay completely hidden until its to be used (hopefuly thats never).

yzguy
January 20, 2003, 04:34 PM
I like the extra grip, so I use the 12 rounders in my P-11:
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/sw12.htm

kalibear45
January 20, 2003, 06:13 PM
I shoot my 2-finger grip guns with pinky dangling out because thats how I drink my cup o' tea :)

Blueduck
January 20, 2003, 06:57 PM
Is the S&W 66 2.5" a pinky dangler?

Could be I suppose, depends on the grips you choose.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
January 20, 2003, 07:20 PM
Uncle barney did not like the "plow Handle" design of the Smith "J" frame grips so designed and patented a Gunfighter grip for it in 1924. I retired and closed the Fitz company in 1979 but remember my last production run of these grips when the US govt wanted to sell a thousand WW2 "J' frame grips and the Egyptians insisted on having my grips installed on them in 1975 for the deal. I was given the company in the early 70s and used the GF gunfighter grip on my off duty weapon as a Deputy Marshal and I had some wood ones made for my police friends. You can get your entire hand on them and they are ideal for firing in the dark when you cannot see the sights and firing from the hip. I carried mine in an inside belt holster and the wood would slide easily out of my clothes unlike the rubber ones. You may see some at gun shows from old timers that have passed on and I have about 6 extra in my collection in cherry wood and about the same amount in walnut Duramite and Stag. I am not in business but this discussion reminds me that I no longer need the very few I have left. I just bought one at auction on e-bay last week for the 1950's antique red Fitz box that came with it.

They could use a good home here rather than on e-bay auctions

Send for a pic of one

Paul Jones
coffeyn1@juno.com

M1911
January 20, 2003, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't use .357 in a J frame.Depends on the J-frame. It's not all that bad in a 3" barrel Model 60 (all stainless with full size grip). The Scandium models, I suspect, are a different matter entirely...

rugerfreak
January 20, 2003, 10:18 PM
Newly purchased 66 with the factory Hogue grip------no pinky dangling here.

bad_dad_brad
January 20, 2003, 10:50 PM
Unless you are shooting a hand cannon, you do not need your pinky anyway. My Kahr MK9 is totally controlable with the pinky underneath the magazine.

Ala Dan
January 20, 2003, 11:11 PM
Greeting's All,

DuckMan my friend, I can't believe that you didn't
care for the G-27? The frame size is O.K., but I
don't care for any .40 caliber weapon's, as
I see no practical need for this caliber. As one
writer once wrote, "Anything the .40S&W can
do; the .45ACP will do it better". I tend to agree
with his finding's.

OTOH, if I find a need to "spray and pray" give
me a good quality 9m/m. Otherwise, the .40S&W
is out for me! I'm predicting that the small, sub-
compact G-26 will become an all time fan
favorite.

When I carry a 9m/m, I still rely on my old trusty
compact SIG-Sauer P228.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Blueduck
January 20, 2003, 11:20 PM
Hey Dan, as much as we've talked you know I'm a "recoil wuss" ;) My full three fingered, 17.5 pound 4006 is just great though :D

J.Gillespie
January 20, 2003, 11:33 PM
Don't like it much. I put a Mag extention on my PM9 and it made a big difference. The fit is much better=better shooting for me. I can go both ways, but having my pinky not on the grip is like having a splinter ithat you just cant get out=ANNOYING! (One "N" or two?)Oh well :D

Waitone
January 21, 2003, 03:32 PM
2-1/2 fingers on a grip is a requirement I will not compromise. I find I can not control a gun adequately with 2 fingers. That requirement limits my selection of CCH pieces. As much as I like the Kel-Tec, I'll never purchase one because of the length of the grip.

yzguy
January 21, 2003, 04:58 PM
As much as I like the Kel-Tec, I'll never purchase one because of the length of the grip.

check out this:
http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/GunStuff/kel-tec/sw12/dcp02656.gif (http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/GunStuff/kel-tec/sw12/dcp02656.jpg)
13 rounds of 9mm in a small light package, with a full grip...
more info here:
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/sw12.htm

M1911
January 21, 2003, 04:58 PM
I've fired my MK9 with and without the extended mag. And I found no difference in my accuracy/speed, etc. YMMV.

Onslaught
January 21, 2003, 06:51 PM
I will tolerate the "pinkie swingers" only if there is a benefit to them over a larger pistol. In other words, it has to fit in my pocket or on my ankle. Otherwise, I'll go for a larger pistol on the belt.

Pistols like the G27 etc. aren't small enough for me to carry in that manner, so I have no use for them. And that pinkie extension isn't good enough either, because the backstrap is still barely past the thumb joint, which just feels wierd!

Kor
January 21, 2003, 07:34 PM
I like the way my J-frames handle with boot(and similar) grips, 'cause I find I can curl my pinky up under from the bottom of the grip frame for a solid hold. These grips are also smooth/curved enough that I never feel pain/discomfort with this grasp.

I cannot do this with small semi-autos like my Glock 27 or the Kel-Tecs, because the magazine well is too thick for my pinky to curl under, plus the edges/corners are sharp enough to make this uncomfortable. Neither do I like curling my pinky into my palm - just feels too weak/unstable. Thus, I carry the gun holstered with a floorplate extension on the mag.

Blackhawk
January 21, 2003, 07:47 PM
Bothers me in theory and in fondling, but not in practice. I never even notice it when I have a firing grip. Must be an adrenaline thing.....

Drjones
January 22, 2003, 01:37 AM
I have a G-27 with the standard 9-round mags, no extensions, so my pinky curls underneath.

I shoot that 27 better than ANY gun I own, including my full-size Beretta 96's and G30.

Go figure....

Plus, its so tiny, its a breeze to carry...

Hmm....10 rounds of .40 in a compact, reliable as a brick package, that I shoot really well? I should get another!!! :neener:

Hemicuda
January 23, 2003, 01:45 PM
My Beretta 8040F Mini-Cougar is a pinky dangler...

It's also a sweet shooter, and with 9 rounds of .40S&W in it, I do NOT feel undergunned... so I choose to carry it as a CCW piece...

I am accurate with it... so, it is ok with me..

that said, I ENJOY a full size frame more, when target shooting... but the dangly pinky syndrome doesn't bother me that much... to each their own, I guess!

DAL
January 24, 2003, 10:14 PM
I don't mind; it's much ado about nothing. My Glock 26 shoots just fine sans a pinky grip, but I have small hands to begin with.
DAL

Coronach
January 25, 2003, 12:03 AM
I dislike it immensely.

I accept it on my J-frame, since the gun makes me look like I have a strange growth on my leg if I have the full-length grip on it for ankle carry.

I REFUSE to accept such an ergonomic error on my primary gun. Thats why I chose the Sig P232 above smaller weapons on my department's approved off-duty list. The Sig might be "big," but I can fit all my digits on the grip.

Mike

Johnny Guest
January 27, 2003, 02:36 AM
I really prefer them for all but the full size service handguns. And some of them, as well.

Old Fort Worth PD Lieutenant, Oliver Ball, showed me how he used to cut the bottom of the Colt "Target" woden stocks on his Troopers and Pythons. This way, he gotthe benefit ofthe built-in, behing the trigger guard "Filler." He curled his little finger beneath the grop frame, feeling it increased controlability, as well as making the piece more concealable. I tried it and really liked it. I got accustomed to putting the larger size Pachmayr adaptor on K-frame revolvers. this mostly filled the trigger guard-front grip frame gap, giving a hold similar to that of an auto pistol.

There's no real need to have a full, four finger hold on a mildly recoiling handgun, and they hide much easier without it.

Matter of personal preference, of course.

Best,
Johnny

bad_dad_brad
January 27, 2003, 11:29 PM
This debate makes me recall a former dealer's comment when I bought my Kahr MK9 from him and remarked that I was going to get a Pierce grip extention for it.

He reminded me that the index and middle finger did all the controling and that the pinky was just a vestige. And then he said something that seems so true. He said: "American gun owners are always trying to make big guns small, and small guns big."

It was at that moment that I realized that the reason I bought the MK9 was for concealment, and if I put an grip extension on it, it would not be as concealable, and so I did forgo that needless customization, and have learned to shoot the tiny MK9 with pinky curled underneath.

russcoh
November 3, 2008, 12:00 AM
It seems most people fire better without the pinkie floating midair. The question then becomes, how much less accurate will you be in an emergency situation? I wouldn't shoot competition with a short grip gun like that, though I wouldn't hesitate to carry.. just need to practice with it. It may never feel 100% natural, but for the extra level of concealment, it may be worth it.

Kind of Blued
November 3, 2008, 12:17 AM
It's a compromise. Sometimes it's worth it, and sometimes it's not.

The 642 on my ankle or the PM9 in my pocket are much more favorable guns with the short grip, otherwise they wouldn't be "there" and "there".

The nice thing about the PM9 (or Glock 26 or XD45 Compact) is that you can use the short grip for better concealability, or if you want to move it IWB or you're wearing a jacket, you can slap the extended, more comfortable, higher capacity magazine in there.

If only someone would make a J-frame boot grip that had a spring-actuated pinky groove that popped out when you squeezed the gun... :scrutiny:

I'm patenting that. Don't touch it. :)

cliffy
November 3, 2008, 12:35 AM
Anything smaller than a .45 ACP is NOT a 100% man-stopper. So, but it's true. The ONLY exception is the potent .357 Magnum. I've been toying with a .454 Casull lately, yet THIS I consider over-kill for most encounters of the less pleasant kind. .380 Autos are ladies' purse guns for ladies willing to die trying. James Bond only survived due to sequels on the silver screen. A 9mm Parabellum is MINIMAL, as is a .38 Special, with several rounds expended to stop a 300 pound target with rage in the eyes. Will a .327 Magnum prove itself? Maybe. cliffy

NavyLCDR
November 3, 2008, 02:42 AM
I amputated my firing hand pinky finger. No more problems.

Seriously though, I don't have a problem switching back and forth.

MassMan
November 6, 2008, 05:41 PM
I shoot the MK9 w/o the mag extension fine, but I prefer shooting it with the extension. My pinky wants to grab something and feel important. The first time I shot my 360PD with mags it hurt my trigger finger something awful. Put on a pair of Hogue full size grips and the gun is much more enjoyable to shoot.

mgregg85
November 6, 2008, 07:50 PM
I can't get my pinky on the P3AT but I can still shoot it just fine. The tiny sights bother me more than the lack of a full grip. It does sacrifice a bit of controllability but, the smaller the gun, the smaller the caliber, so the recoil isn't too bad. I can't imagine trying to shoot a tiny .45 acp with a three finger grip, but a .32 acp or .380 acp isn't so bad.

Eyesac
November 6, 2008, 08:23 PM
I don't like shooting the G27 without the extension either, but that's the beauty of it, if you don't like it, change the mag floor!

Eyesac
November 6, 2008, 08:25 PM
You know what that said, try doing fast mag changes with anything with a two finger grip, you pinch your fingers every other try!:banghead:

sherman123
November 6, 2008, 08:31 PM
ive found i can grip my 340pd just fine if i really choke up on the bantam grips and over half of my pinky finger is still resting on the grip. i think the way the grips are designed makes it less of a pink dangler than my bersa thunder .380 i have trouble getting a comfy grip on that

tipoc
November 6, 2008, 08:42 PM
Holy Back From the Dead Batman! A thread from 2003!

tipoc

shu
November 7, 2008, 09:53 AM
With one exception, I never saw value in grip extension for small butt handguns.

Have a J-frame M36 which I used to choke up on when I first bought it, till I learned to grip it properly. My normal carry is a G-26 IWB sidearmor which works just fine with the pinky curled under.

The exception was a Heritage Arms Stealth in 9mm. Came with two mags: one with slick bottom plate, one with a small curled lip at the front. The center knuckle of the pinkie finger fit just right behind the curl, giving a better 'home' to the grip. Used to carry this gun in a soft suede holster w/ thumb-break, just stuck inside the shirt iwb without any kind of belt clip. The suede outside of the holster kept the affair from riding up. Lip at the front of the mag hooked over the belt and kept the affair from sliding down inside the trouser leg.

Now the SAA revolver is a whole different story. Curled-under pinky makes a secure base for the butt to rest on. Two fingers in front of the butt, and flesh pad at the base of the palm on the back of the butt, without any heavy squeeze provides just enough torque to counter the cantilevered weight of the cylinder and barrel in front. What a marvelous design!

HuntAndFish
November 8, 2008, 12:10 AM
Just curious who doesn't mind having thier pinky finger declared obsolete and who won't put up with it and why??

Doesn't bother me at all. I never use it to hold the gun anyway, whether there is room on the grip for it or not. I shoot better without using it.

I was once told that you should hold a handgun with your strong fingers, like you would shake someone's hand. Subsequently I have always shot them using my thumb, trigger and middle fingers. I try to keep the pinky either off the gun completely when I can, or put no pressure on the gun with it. Same with a two handed hold.

ETA: Sometimes with new shooters that I have introduced to handguns, the "flinch" at recoil sometimes comes from sympathic gripping by the pinky while the index finger works the trigger.

Scotticus
November 8, 2008, 01:16 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. I used to have a Detonics MkI Combat Master that gave me 2 fingers on that .45. If the ergonomics and recoil assembly are good, there seems to be no issue for me.

JohnKSa
November 8, 2008, 04:06 AM
I find it to be a non-issue for me.

rdrancher
November 8, 2008, 10:49 AM
Oh great...thanks for dredging up this old thread. I thought that I was secure in my handgun choices, but now I've got this "pinky dangling" thing to worry about.

Oh bother... :rolleyes: ;)

rd

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on "pinky dangling" handguns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!