.22 Caliber Shell Carrier

PDA

cyclopsshooter
November 20, 2009, 09:58 PM
Are shell carriers available for rimfire?

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Caliber Shell Carrier" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ozarkgunner
November 20, 2009, 10:43 PM
Are you talking carrier on a waist belt or a rifle butt sleeve and the like? I would be interested in something like that for my, I mean my son's, Mod 60.

tju1973
November 20, 2009, 10:44 PM
I use pill bottles packed with ammo with a bit of cotton at the top....works well and water proof..

22-rimfire
November 21, 2009, 12:21 AM
It obviously depends on how much 22 ammo you are talking about. A simple carrier is a leather pouch designed for pipe tobacco with a zipper closure. I tend to just carry the box, which is why I prefer 50-ct boxes of 22 shells.

Fanny packs work as well. Some of the small cases for GPS or cell phones would work as well, but that means you are carrying it loose. It might be just as easy to carry the ammo in loaded magazines assuming that the firearm uses box magazines.

cyclopsshooter
November 21, 2009, 12:21 AM
i would like something that i could attach to the stock which holds individual shells like the carriers for shotguns

22-rimfire
November 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
Can't see that as being very practical except for 10 or 20 rounds max. That is not much 22 ammo for me. It may be cool, but it would take too much time pulling each shell out individually for me to make it practical.

Avenger29
November 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
Somebody makes a small pouch that attaches to the stock.

.22 ammunition doesn't work well in loops. It's so small. So most carry .22 ammunition in small dump pouches on their belt or whatnot.

What kind of rifle are you carrying ammunition for? For tube fed rifles, speedloader tubes are a good option.

22-rimfire
November 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
You can make short speed loaders for tube fed rifles from aluminum arrow blanks cut to hold about 10 rounds or so. The length would be managable.

MedWheeler
November 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
Seems like a good idea for a single-shot rifle, though..

X-Rap
November 21, 2009, 12:31 AM
I used to use a tobacco pouch too, mine had a bottom on it that when compressed opened up and I could shake out a few shells. I haven't seen it in more than 30 yrs but I need to hit up a few shops and see if I can find another.

cyclopsshooter
November 21, 2009, 12:33 AM
its a single shot marlin 15YN youth model with a one point sling- i couldn't resist it as a truck gun... just want to be able to attach some ammo to it as a grab-n-go

mnrivrat
November 21, 2009, 12:43 AM
I know of nobody making one for the 22 in the same style as they do for shotgun and rifle (stretch nyloon pull over) . There might be a pull over like that with a pouch as mentioed, otherwise your probably stuck with making one.
Some old leather belts had 22 loops and can be cut up for a project. You can also make a storage in the butt stock with a pivot door like the camper model Savage 24C . A simple brass patchbox cover could be used in the side of the stock for storage. You get the idea.

cyclopsshooter
November 21, 2009, 12:56 AM
i like the patchbox door idea- a pullover nylon would be ok too... anything effective at keepin ammo at the ready

X-Rap
November 21, 2009, 12:59 AM
The smaller stock of a youth mod would not likely be a good fit for a nylon butt cuff.

Avenger29
November 21, 2009, 01:15 AM
I think this calls for some custom made gear, if you are willing to spend the cost. Contact some holster/leather shops and see what they say. Anybody that sews up leather lace on recoil pads, for example, would be who I'd call.

I'm envisioning a lace on leather piece (should work better than elastic cuff, IMHO) with a small compartment made of stiff leather that has a tightfitting lid with snaps and holds maybe 50 rounds.

Myles
November 21, 2009, 12:13 PM
I believe that Uncle Mike's used to make a buttstock pouch for .22 ammo, but I haven't seen one in ages. They do still make the belt pouch; it seems a little bit of stitching and glue could adapt one.

EDIT: Hey, lookie what I found:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=57&cat=88&page=1

Looks much nicer and more rugged than what I remember from UM. A bit more expensive too, but I want one for my .22, now.

jnyork
November 21, 2009, 01:41 PM
Shirt pocket has worked for me for over 55 years. :D:D

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Caliber Shell Carrier" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!