Remington 7400

PDA

hometheaterman
November 21, 2009, 12:27 AM
Anyone have these? Any pros/cons? I know the old 742 was known as the "jam master" but what about these? How is the accuracy? I'm just a semi auto fan.

Reason I ask is a guy I hunt with has one. For some reason it's really growing on my. When I handled it the first time I thought what junk. That was from working the action and removing the magazine and vise versa. Anyway, I wasn't impressed. I also think the fore end looks a little too round for me. However, for some reason it keeps growing on me. The stock not the fore end but the actual stock just has a beautiful look to it. I doubt I'd get one because I wasn't impressed by it but for some reason I can't get it off my mind as I love how the stock looks. Almost like the 1100's which to me is a great looking gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 7400" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
saturno_v
November 21, 2009, 12:54 AM
I have a 740 which is the predecessor of the 742 (they are basically identical in appearance and mechanics) and it never jammed on me...it all depends how has been treated and if the gas port has been properly cleaned...you need to stay on top of it.
The old 740 and 742 had the problem that in the long run the reveiver rail where the bolt carrier slides on were getting "chewed up" so the rifle would start to jam...at that point the thing become a single shot proposition or a wall hanger...it can be repaired but it is very costly..better find another rifle in the used market (they are very reasonably priced..usually in the $200-250 in my area, Western WA).

It's easy to verify the condition of these rails, just remove the magazine, flip the rifle over and keep the bolt open...if the rails look battered, walk away.

The 7400, as far as I know, did fix that problem. However the 7400 has a redesigned 2 lugs bolt instead of the multi lug bolt...Remigton marketed this change as an improvement, many people (my gunsmith included) think otherwise....you could find a 740 or 742 in pristine conditions for a song....

Overall they are very good rifles, light for the caliber, they handle very well and reasonably accurate (not comparable to bolts but perfectly adequate for hunting and informal target shooting)

I like them and I may trade my old 740 (if it stops working) for a newer 7400 someday.

For the stock, you can buy a replacement synthetic stock either from Remington or from Ram-Line ($60-70)

I replaced the stock in mine (and kept the original wood one aside) and bought several 10 and 12 round aftermarket magazines...the rifle is now a "politically correct" assault rifle....:evil::evil::D:D

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p-6TN6gJfXQGs88mLtWpT95iWNTriymd44zHh1b58xfDuQWQ2fzAYh3njqHCHxkCF0j434rBxNRIWJNt5kptt0A/Remington%20740.jpg

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p-F2piE2YLSL6WifhaHbETlVOBe7ab0-dq7MjTp4zEqnIHPJMAjPfh7fXxlnn2DwCEiQ6Uu5nPpjPZlJP6pVcRQ/Remington%20740%20(2).jpg

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pq0VqFxp5YbIZ86MzmSCtL5oQ3-hYoBD_nqCtUfAMTVWMgsrUA7KfMcWGzw3AlrswraFqGmWMlR1WiIWIcqABnQ/Centerpoint%20Scopes%20Resized.jpg

rangerruck
November 21, 2009, 03:06 AM
if you like a semi auto hunting rifle, I think they are great. Light, handy, absorbs some of the recoil, would have to be lightening fast in a 243, don't you know!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 7400" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!