saiga 7.62.39mm bolt carrier. problem!

PDA

shotgunsrfun
November 21, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hi. I opened my saiga 7.62 the other day. I removed the bolt carrier and the bolt spring. I notice inside(where the oblt spring goes into) the inside is COLD and a tad damp. There is like brown metal in there now? You can see where the black paint used to be now its brown colored, is this normal? I hope its not rust. I keep my gun upright and far from the window. I wiped it on the end I got brown stuff on my cloth. :confused::confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "saiga 7.62.39mm bolt carrier. problem!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shotgunsrfun
November 21, 2009, 11:28 PM
bump

rbernie
November 21, 2009, 11:35 PM
It might be rust, especially if you've been shooting surplus ammo with corrosive primers, but likely not. I've noticed this on my Saigas, and (since I only shoot commercial ammo) I always assumed that it was shipping grease oozing from the metal pores, combined with powder dust and the bits of the red sealant that they use on the primers.

jojo200517
November 21, 2009, 11:36 PM
Could just be dirty inside, strip it clean, oil it up if it ain't broke don't fix it.

tju1973
November 21, 2009, 11:36 PM
you are prob ok-- sounds like normal packing grease stuff..clean it and oil...then shoot...AKs will function with almost no care, so I am sure yours is GTG

shotgunsrfun
November 21, 2009, 11:38 PM
I never shot it and I cleaned it before. I never notice it before. IF this is rust, it starts at the entrance and goes all the way in. Will this damage my weapon when I am firing it? I know AK's are built to last but rust possible in the bolt carrier???? sounds like it could rust apart and break ONE day. :/

No I dont shoot surplus ammo.

jojo200517
November 21, 2009, 11:41 PM
In the event it rusts shut make sure your safety is off, place butt of rifle on firm surface use heel of combat boot to kick it open with downward force needed. Load and fire as usual.

shotgunsrfun
November 21, 2009, 11:42 PM
How could it rust shut? The rust looking area is inside where the bolt spring goes into. And does not leach on the sides to seal it or anything.

(pic of saiga 12g bolt carrier)-could not find a pic of 7.62.39mm The rust looking area is inside where the spring goes. And the spring is clean no rust on it.

pic not working now...

rizbunk77
November 21, 2009, 11:59 PM
I strongly believe that you just need to clean the area with spray solvent, a small bore mop or brush, and some patches then lube it with a lubricant/rust preventative and the rifle will be fine. The area you are describing is not a critical area in terms of tolerance so even if it is a little rust you are ok as long as it is cleaned out. If you wanted to fix it you could clean and degrease the opening then swab in some cold blue and touch it up as per instructions.

However if it bothers you that much I would be happy to take it off your hands for about $300

rbernie
November 22, 2009, 12:10 AM
It will not rust shut, and it's almost certainly not damaged. Just clean it and shoot it.

You're fine.

Really.

John Parker
November 22, 2009, 10:33 AM
Dude, it's an AK!

Ohio Gun Guy
November 22, 2009, 11:12 AM
Strip it to parts, clean it well. If it's rust, dremmel with a pad (Not grinder), remove rust, mask & Prime & Paint with high heat paint.

That is what I would do.....

If you enjoyed reading about "saiga 7.62.39mm bolt carrier. problem!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!