Bipod Mounting

PDA

wishin
November 22, 2009, 07:40 AM
I want to swap my Harris bipod from my Mini-14 to my AR carbine. I know that Harris makes a handguard QD adapter, but will it work on the Glazier guards? Indications are that the adapter is for ROUND handquards. Will it work adequately, or do I go with a more expensive picatinny style adapter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bipod Mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
November 22, 2009, 08:56 AM
i'm not familiar w/ glazier guards (so this may not work...?), but here's what i do for my ar's... i drill a hole in the handguards, and then screw a swivel stud in place.

wishin
November 22, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for your reply. What did you use for reinforcement at the backside of the swivel stud? Any signs of cracking at the hole after many (?) rounds fired? DPMS uses the glazier guards and they have holes at the bottom that are larger than a swivel/QD stud.

wishin
November 22, 2009, 10:46 AM
Also, does mounting a bipod on a free float tube have any effect on accuracy, one way or the other?

Radaray
November 23, 2009, 03:08 PM
I've heard there is an adaptor that will attach to the bayonet mount, if you have one, but I have not been able to find where I can find one. Anyone know where these are available?

wishin
November 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I bought a bayonet mount bipod a couple of weeks ago and had to return it. Don't waste your time and money; the fit is very loose and sloppy. You can find it under various names on the net, but they're all the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bipod Mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!