Question about button rifling

PDA

Sweet William
November 22, 2009, 01:33 PM
:confused:Several years ago I bought a Taurus model 62 rifle, but for various reasons I never fired it until today. While doing my usual cleaning before shooting a new gun, I noticed that I could see absolutely no signs of rifling at the barrel crown. Out of curiosity, I felt around the inside of the barrel with a soft plastic toothpick to see if I could feel the transition between lands and grooves and could find only the slightest hint of lands/grooves. I know that Taurus advertised this rifle as being button rifled (supposedly for accuracy). When I look down the bore with a light, I can clearly see the rifling, but it must be quite shallow. My question is this: Is it unusual not to be able to see or feel any signs of rifling at the barrel crown on a button rifled barrel? To my recollection, I have never seen this--even in my air guns. I have read somewhere that the grooves on a button rifled barrel are only between .0025 and .004" deep-which is about the diameter of a human hair. Still, should there not be some sign of it at the barrel crown? Heck, my air rifle has more signs of rifling that this rifle. If this is considered to be in the "normal" range, I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back to Taurus for repair. Thanks in advance for any help/advice on the matter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about button rifling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Offfhand
November 22, 2009, 01:42 PM
Button rifled, or rifled any other way, you should see some rifling right up the the beginning of the crown. An exception would be barrels that have been relieved at the muzzle porting. Button rifling is sometimes quite shallow in cheaper guns.

Horsemany
November 22, 2009, 01:43 PM
I've got some button rifled guns and I've not noticed a difference in how the rifling itself looks compared to hammer forged. Sounds like you've got something unusual.

Sweet William
November 22, 2009, 03:41 PM
Actually, it does look like the rifling goes all the way up to the crown, but it is so shallow that when you look down at the crown from the top it just looks like a round hole with no rifling indentations like my other guns.

Horsemany
November 22, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm guessing they're all like that but I'd do a bit more research to be sure. Not being a real common rifle there's probably not anyone here who can go check and see if theirs is the same.

Liberty1776
November 22, 2009, 04:27 PM
how does the gun shoot? many of my .22's have very shallow rifling, but shoot just fine.

Uncle Mike
November 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
Those rifling's are in the neighborhood of .0015" to .0025" deep, so you may have to 'look' closely.

Sweet William
November 22, 2009, 07:19 PM
I did a little shooting with it today. Grouping was 15 shots (one magazine load) in 2" at 25 yds. Certainly nothing to write home about, but maybe a little better than I expected for this little gallery gun. Also need to mention that this was from a very shakey bench (ironing board) using crude buckhorn sights and my 60 year old eyes. Also should mention that the powder made a very clear hexagon shape around the barrel crown, suggesting that there is some kind of rifling there. Also forgot to mention that the barrel is SS, which also may make it harder to see the rifling.

Uncle Mike
November 22, 2009, 08:13 PM
I have a little Rossi Gallery gun, long barrel pump, and it isn't a MOA rifle either! lol
But a wonderful little 22LR.

Sweet William
November 23, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Uncle Mike, I agree. For some reason, I find shooting a little pump gun like this more fun than shooting one of my MOA rifles or even my semi-autos. Don't really know why, but it's just a kick for me. One thing that I was pleased to see is that this one shoots pretty much right on center windage-wise, which is good since the fairly crude iron sight has no windage adjustment. Seems accurate enough for just plinking--which is what I'll use it for. The only thing that concerns me is longevity of the barrel since the rifling is so shallow. It is SS, so that might help some.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about button rifling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!