First Mosin - range report

PDA

Blackbeard
November 22, 2009, 03:06 PM
Ok, so I got my first Mosin-nagant last week. Saturday I broke it down to major components, and disassembled the bolt. Hit the metal parts all over with brake cleaner to get rid of the cosmoline, which seemed to work really well. Once dry I soaked it in CLP all over everything (except the wood). Got it reassembled Saturday night, checked the firing pin protrusion, all good. I was unable to get the bayonet on, probably because I forgot to clean it and it probably has comso residue in it. We'll try that for next time.

Sunday at the range, it did well. It went bang every time and I was always on paper at 50 yards. After the first three rounds, I ran back to the car to get my Limbsaver off of my shotgun. Holy hell that thing kicks! It took a while to figure out the sights. I ended up settling on having the rear sight at the zero notch, and using a six o'clock hold. Even then it shot maybe 1-2" high. I was shooting BarnauL 7.62x54R FMJ 185gr. Lacquered steel case, non corrosive.

I've read that other people have had problems with the rear barrel band working loose, and that happened to me as well. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have soaked the band and/or band springs in CLP. The bolt did seem a bit sticky, requiring a bit of force to work it. Twice I had some real problems getting a spent casing out of the chamber. I'm not sure if it's just sticky ammo or did I not lube something enough.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Now I know why you all are so gaga over milsurps. Big bangs, little $$$.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Mosin - range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
guntech59
November 22, 2009, 03:35 PM
Try the "light ball". I believe it is 147gr. It is MUCH easier on your shoulder. I don't shoot mine much...I am a recoil puss.

NCsmitty
November 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
Glad that you're having fun with your Mosin. I also suggest trying some different ammo such as Prvi-Partizan or Wolf Gold commercial. Both are reloadable with boxer primed brass cases.
Here's a site with a quick trick to fix your front sight shooting high on the cheap.

www.carteach0.blogspot.com/2009/01/9130-mosin-rifle-front-sight-fix.html

NCsmitty

saturno_v
November 22, 2009, 04:05 PM
If you are not into specific milsurp collecting (I'm not), the Mosin Nagant are by far the best choice compared to the other old military rifles for plinking/informal target shooting and iron sights hunting.

Ammo is the cheapest and the most available (surplus and commercial), decent selection of hunting bullets, the cartridge is significantly more powerful than the 303 British or the American commercial offering in 8mm Mauser, rifles can still be had for a song (sub $100) and part of the fun is picking a good one...they can be very accurate.

When we are looking at a decent Enfield or Mauser we get into the $200-300 ballpark.....in that price range you can buy good used sporting rifles often already scoped and chambered for common rounds (30-06, 270, 308, etc..)

Deal packages (rifle + scope) on brand new Savages/Stevens or Mossbergs at $299 are common...yesterday my local Wal Mart had a Mossberg ATR combo (including sling and a case other than the regular inexpensive 3-9X 40scope) for $249.

Again, if you collect milsurp it's a different story, as a practical hunting rifle anything other than a Mosin Nagant it's a losing proposition, economically.

Even if you want to scope a Mosin, the economics are not there....get something else.

Maj Dad
November 22, 2009, 04:12 PM
If you keep having sticky extraction, get some 400 or 600 grit wet or dry paper, oil it up and put a roughly 1"x2" strip in a slotted dowel rod & use a drill (low speed!) to smooth out your chamber. I had a K98K with what looked to be a good bore & chamber (pitted but not badly) that I had to beat the bolt handle open. Smoothed it out & works much better. There are several ways to do it & this is just the one I used. You can also use JB Bore Paste on a tight patch to finish it up.

Fiv3r
November 22, 2009, 04:20 PM
i absolutely adore my MN 91/30.

I bought it as a truck gun, but I think it's just a little too long to fit under the back bench seat. However, I plan on picking up one of thos nice polymer stocks to keep the wood nice-ish and keep the weight of the rifle down.

Mine is accurate enough, that if I were a hunter, I'd feel very comfortable taking largest game with it.
If you want a cheap ammo for paper punching that doesn't kick that hard, look around for some of that light plastic core milsurp ammo (mine was czech). I think I paid around 3 bucks for a box of 15. The only down side is that it is corrosive. So make sure you clean the gun after you're done having your fun.

crasen
November 22, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have not been able to put the bayonet on my 91/30 all the way either. Mine shoots high as well but have not tried anything to remedy it yet other than aiming a little low. The bolt does tend to stick sometimes after 15 or 20 rounds. I have not tried to polish the chamber yet but I do plan on trying it soon.

eight433
November 22, 2009, 06:23 PM
I had to use a dremel type tool with a tiny drum sander and open up the bayonet untill it fit super nice on my 91/30.

Took the ole M44 to the range today. I could not hit a dang thing with it at 50 or 100 yards, but my dad was punching paper with it, and it was his first time with the gun. Guess its time to go get some glasses. I've heard it helps to be able to see the target clearly. For what its worth, I whipped him with my new scoped .17 HMR though ;)

Nugilum
November 24, 2009, 12:30 AM
Were you by yourself at the range, or did people stare at you with the classic "OMG" look on their faces when you shot the first round?

stubbicatt
November 24, 2009, 06:39 AM
Heavier ammo will often tend to shoot a little higher due to barrel dwell time.

HTH

jem375
November 24, 2009, 10:42 AM
couple of years ago, I bought a MN 91/30 and it was such a piece of crap that I gave it away at the range. I bought a pretty nice M44 a little later and although I still have it, it really isn't worth the money I paid for it. Since I do a little collecting WW2 bolts, I also have a Swede M96 and a British Enfield and they are much better shooters. K31 is my next buy when I find a good one..

rangerruck
November 24, 2009, 10:50 AM
the 205 grainers should be very accurate; also the dremeling out of the chamber, with some cleaner and a dowel or brush, will stop the sticky bolt.
the bigger grain bullets may also put your right on target with your 100 yd marking as well...

nathan
November 24, 2009, 11:04 AM
Always tighten the screws and dont flinch . U should be good to go. Mosins are very accurate for military standards. THey aim at a soldiers buckle and thats a dead enemy right there.

Blackbeard
November 24, 2009, 11:40 AM
Per a user on another board, I tried using a 20ga brush on a cleaning rod attached to a cordless drill to clean out the chamber a bit more. It seems to have removed what looked like leftover cosmo residue. Unfortunately I may have to wait for spring to test it out.

hawmanai
November 25, 2009, 12:00 AM
Try different ammo for the sticky bolt, I must have gotten hold of some machine gun ammo one time as it kicked hard and the bolt was hard to open.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Mosin - range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!