Remington 798

PDA

bartsitarski
November 23, 2009, 04:15 AM
A while back I bought a Remington 798 in .308. I FINALLY got it sighted in before hitting the woods for the deer opener. I absolutely LOVE this gun!!! I have many different military Mauser variations and wanted a commercial for a deer rifle. I got a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9X40 on top and am hitting consistent 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with sandbags and Winchester Power Max 150 gr. ammo. Federal Premium, Power Shock, and Remington Core Lock is all over the place. Best of all, I got the rifle for $400 NIB and scope for $70, NIB.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 798" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
roklok
November 23, 2009, 04:21 AM
I agree that the 798s are very nice rifles. The actions are a bit rough in the examples I have experience with, but they can be smoothed up. I have one in .375 H&H and am very pleased with it.

bartsitarski
November 24, 2009, 10:31 AM
Mine was rough compared to, say, a Remington 700, but smoother than some military actions I have. After firing a few boxes it smoothed up nicely and like you said, you can have them tuned to be smoother.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 798" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!