Improving the Savage stock?

PDA

M Jager
November 8, 2003, 03:53 AM
Everybody knows the Savage stock is quite flimsy? My question is can it be inproved? Is the culpret just a flimsy forearm, or is the problem a lack of stability around the action itself. I was thinking of running a steel or aluminum rod down the forarm. Would this help or is the flimsyness problem in other areas as well thus rendering stiffing the forarm a wasted effort? A Savage heavy barrel is likely to be in my future, and I would rather not buy an aftermarket stock if I can stiffen up the factory stock to an acceptable level.
Thanks,
Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "Improving the Savage stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AZRickD
November 8, 2003, 10:49 AM
Just to prove it to myself, I dumped a lot of JB Weld in the forearm of my Savage 10FP in .308. I didn't put in a metal rod (some say use a push-rod from an American V8) in the JBWeld nor did I put in a fiberglass arrow shaft, some have.

The JBWeld made it marginally stiffer. Keep in mind that my rifle started out as a .67MOA to .75MOA rifle (I never bothered to adjust the trigger pull down). The addition of the SharpShooterSupple trigger releasing at 16 ounces turned it into a .5 to sub .5MOA rifle.

For giggles, I glass bedded the action into a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock that I got really cheap. Same .5MOA before working up a load for my new shipment of Lapua brass. The Choate US stock feels like a tree trunk.

The SharpShooterSupply boys also make fine stocks for the Savage.

And Savage now has up-market stocks and triggers, but that bumps the price up quite a bit.

Rick

M Jager
November 8, 2003, 11:28 AM
Rick,
Thanks for the reply. Any chance you might be wanting to get rid of that tree trunk?
Thanks
Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "Improving the Savage stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!