Weatheryby Vanguard Query

PDA

Feral_Goz
November 8, 2003, 05:40 AM
Hi All,
I am looking at purchasing a new Weatherby Vanguard. Can anyone tell me how the barrels are attached (thread or other method)?

Thanks
Feral_Goz

If you enjoyed reading about "Weatheryby Vanguard Query" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TooTech
November 8, 2003, 12:30 PM
Don't know the answer, but I'd suggest you research to see if anyone sells replacement barrels or action wrenches for this model. The existence of either item would indicate a threaded action.

If this isn't a threaded action, I'll be very much surprised!

Matt G
November 8, 2003, 01:04 PM
Interesting. I thought I'd be able to find out right away.

Weatherby has a pretty neat coupla pages about the Vanguard on their website ( http://www.weatherby.com/rifles/vanguard.shtml , http://www.weatherby.com/vanguard/advantage.shtml ), but no cutaway views nor mention of the barrel being threaded to the action. I'm beginning to suspect that it's press-fitted.

And if so, so what? Most hunters NEVER put more than 1000 rounds through their rifles. I'm pretty impressed by the fact that it comes with an accuracy guarantee (1.5") and a factory target proving that it made the cut. Press-fitting gets a bad rap a lot of times. There's a lot of threaded actions out there that have barrels poorly alligned to the bolt.

A friend of mine just bought one last week and brought it by to show me. It's a really a nifty rifle. He hadn't owned it 5 days before he dropped a nice 8 pt buck (his first) with it. Now, of course, you couldn't buy that rifle from him for $1000 cash. :)

454c
November 8, 2003, 04:52 PM
Not sure if Howa is still making the Vanguards or not. The book that come with my Howa shows the barrel to be threaded on.It also shows to have three rings of steel........Isn't that what Remington brags about?

Feral_Goz
November 8, 2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your help,
I have been doing some searching around and haven't found any info on an action wrench so far. I went to ershawsbarrel.com and on their brochure they mention the Vanguard in the list of rifles they fit barrels to.
Thanks for the tip Too Tech, at least I know that replacement barrels can be sourced.

Matt G, I agree that if used for hunting only, the barrel would last longer than me. Only problem is I spend a fair amount of time at the local range:)

Then again, as the Vanguards are so well priced, it may end up costing more to replace a barrel than to buy a new rifle. Gunsmiths are very few and far between in Aus.

Once again, thanks for your help
Feral_Goz

Quintin Likely
November 8, 2003, 07:18 PM
According to "Bolt Action Rifles" by de Haas, the Vanguard action is threaded to accept the barrel shank.

Feral_Goz
November 8, 2003, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info A308Winchester, it's time to go shopping.

Feral_Goz

If you enjoyed reading about "Weatheryby Vanguard Query" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!