cz 75 vs Beretta 92 vs baby eagle

PDA

coondogger
November 28, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm looking for a 9 mm. Does anyone have (need I ask) opinions on the relative merits of these three guns? All seem comparatively priced, and equally available. Beyond that, the only one I've ever fired was the Beretta 92.

If you enjoyed reading about "cz 75 vs Beretta 92 vs baby eagle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
viking499
November 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
Don't know about the other two, but I am very happy with my CZ's. Others will probably follow with a similar response..............:rolleyes:

Philo_Beddoe
November 28, 2009, 09:33 PM
Ditto I have two CZ 75's, accurate and reliable.

mastap
November 28, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have a full size jericho 941(baby eagle). Awesome shooter, extremely reliable, more accurate than i am and great trigger right out of the box.

Dr_2_B
November 28, 2009, 10:46 PM
My cz75's a byoot. I'm sure you'd do well with a Beretta as well. You didn't mention what you wanted it for. Sometimes that helps discern between some choices.

Omaney
November 28, 2009, 11:00 PM
Two big, heavy, reliable designs. I prefer the CZ (the IMI is a clone). The CZ edges out the M9 in my hand but I would depend on either model. They are both fine pistols.

railroader
November 28, 2009, 11:03 PM
I have a cz75sa and a taurus pt99 which is a beretta clone. Both are nice but the grip is smaller on the cz and it has better ergonomics. The cz is just easier to shoot accurately. Mark

zhyla
November 29, 2009, 12:47 AM
Unless you have large hands the CZ is likely to fit your hand better. The baby eagles are cool pistols, I had an itch for one when they first came out but stuck w/ my PT92.

Personally, I'd take the 92 over the CZ. It's a little lighter and I like how it feels better.

Ohio Gun Guy
November 29, 2009, 12:55 AM
I like my Cz....
But to be fair, I haven't shot the others you are looking at.

DAVIDSDIVAD
November 29, 2009, 03:59 AM
Was shooting my brother's Baby Eagle today at the range.

It is a sweet, sweet gun, man.

VERY ergonomic and natural to shoot, with a very good trigger.

notbubba
November 29, 2009, 07:54 AM
Three good choices.
I'm a big fan of the Beretta 92, handle (fondle) all three and go with the one that feels the best in your hand.

coondogger
November 29, 2009, 09:55 AM
Dr 2 b, I intend to use it as a range gun because 9 mm seems to be still widely available and still relatively cheap. I tend to use smaller (Walther ppk/s and Beretta Tomcat) guns for carry.

ku4hx
November 29, 2009, 10:02 AM
CZ-75, Baby Eagle and Jericho 941: all same, all same.

benderx4
November 29, 2009, 10:05 AM
Don't know anything about the Baby Eagle.

CZ makes great, very accurate guns, although the triggers are a bit gritty. The 75B is a beautiful classic.

The Beretta is a tried and true design, with action smooth as melted butta. A bit large for the 9mm caliber, so it's not the best idea for concealed carry. (Although a rare 92FS Compact L Type M is available if you look real hard.) For range use and home defense, I can't recommend a 9mm any higher than this fine gun.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/4052449983_e1ea7a0f40.jpg

earlthegoat2
November 29, 2009, 10:49 AM
I like the Beretta best because of the DA/SA w/ safety configuration. The CZ is a close second.

Even though the Jericho is a modified CZ-75 they are different enough. The Jericho is way heavy IMO but still a very nice shooter.

Pilot
November 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
CZ, no question. I own the 75B and PCR, plus the Kadet Kit. I'd really like to get a 97B next.

Wayne G
November 29, 2009, 11:26 AM
I just went through the same process back in August.

I purchased a Beretta 92 FS INOX 9mm and am very pleased with it. I have fired about 1,000 rounds so far with no problems on four different brands of JHP and FMJ rounds.

My shooting friends are all more accurate with my Beretta than with their pistols.

You will not go wrong with any of them, go with what feels best in your hand and seems to point naturally.

Gun Geezer
November 29, 2009, 11:33 AM
CZ, no question. I own the 75B and PCR, plus the Kadet Kit. I'd really like to get a 97B next.
Pilot, I too own a PCR.

Does the Kadet work on a PCR?

Oldnoob
November 29, 2009, 11:41 AM
Steel vs Aluminum vs Steel
mid size vs large vs mid
heavy vs mid vs heavy
frame mount safety vs slide vs slide (rarely frame)

TXCleaver
November 29, 2009, 11:48 AM
You've narrowed it down to three great guns.

I own a CZ and a Baby Eagle (all steel model.) I've also put a few hundred rounds through a 92FS.

My personal ranking would be:

1. Baby Eagle -- this gun is built like a boulder. VERY easy shooter, a bit more stable laterally than the CZ (in my hands, anyway), and much more accurate that I am. I bought this on a whim, and it's been my best gun purchase. Love shooting it, even if it does weigh about 11 pounds!

2. CZ -- this was my first handgun, and it's still my sentimental favorite. It's really a great gun. Great shooter, durable, reliable (ONE FTF in probably 4000 rounds...and it was my fault), and a classic firearm. Can't go wrong. I've got the barebones model w/o a decocker. Suits me fine, though that can be a nice-to-have function.

3. Beretta -- similar to CZ, depends on which is more comfortable for you.

CombatArmsUSAF
November 29, 2009, 12:36 PM
I can't speak for the baby eagle, but the CZ and Beretta are both great guns that shoot great also.

If I had to pick between the two, i'd have to go with the beretta, solely because it feels like it was made for hands. (I have gorilla hands though)

9mmepiphany
November 29, 2009, 02:03 PM
it's really a hand fit thing. the CZ and IMI are really the same gun...the IMI is a clone of the Italian copy of the CZ.

it the Beretta fits your hand, it is a more reliable design. it has the biggest ejection port on the market, rugged extractor and non-tilting barrel

DougDubya
November 29, 2009, 02:37 PM
Really hard to choose, but I always end up returning to the Beretta.

Jed Carter
November 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
Fit and finish on the Beretta will be better than the CZ. Both shoot about the same, with the edge going to the CZ in my experience. The CZ feels better in the hand and is easier to point. I would recommend buying the Beretta over the CZ 75B if the price is similar, however I would choose the CZ 75D PCR over any compact 9mm period. Get the Beretta, and a PCR for CCW, actually the PCR makes a great range pistol too. Love the 92FS, like my CZ 75B, take my PCR everywhere, its my pick if you want a CZ.

BushyGuy
November 29, 2009, 10:26 PM
i would opt for the Beretta 92 cuz at least it wont rust if you get it wet, i think the Beretta is way more accurate then the CZ or the baby eagle-thats why the military uses them .

I have a Taurus PT92C which is as accurate as the Beretta 92 they are both from the same company -Taurus and Beretta are alomst identical except for a different safety.

I dont care if they bash Taurus i think they are fine guns too.

AKElroy
November 29, 2009, 10:38 PM
i think the Beretta is way more accurate then the CZ

I own both; the CZ is more accurate & more enjoyable to shoot.

John Wayne
November 29, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well, the Beretta will have more commonly available parts and cheaper mags ($6 mil-surp if you can get them at a PX). Beretta has also gone to making some parts of polymer; this doesn't seem to affect reliability but some folks don't like it.

WalkAbout
November 29, 2009, 11:20 PM
+1 for the Beretta. You can't go wrong with it.

b

Chargerlord
December 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
I own two CZs a 75 and a 97 also a beretta i prefer the czs ergonomics but try and find extra clips for these is a pain. You can always find plenty of clips for the berettas but thats only one reason to chose the beretta over the CZs

briang2ad
December 2, 2009, 10:29 PM
CZ is tough, accurate, reliable and can be had with a MANUAL safety.

Beretta is lighter, a little larger, and will come with a better trigger.

Baby Eagle is a very nice CZ clone, but hard to find with a manual safety.

railroader
December 2, 2009, 10:35 PM
I own two CZs a 75 and a 97 also a beretta i prefer the czs ergonomics but try and find extra clips for these is a pain. You can always find plenty of clips for the berettas but thats only one reason to chose the beretta over the CZs

Mags for cz's aren't hard to get at all. Get mec-gars instead of factory and save money. Mec-gar make high quality mags. Here's a whole page of cz mags with cheap shipping. Mark
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=97_72

9mmepiphany
December 2, 2009, 11:03 PM
if you decide to go the CZ route, the action/trigger is very tunable. Apex Tactical does some great CZ work with a fast turnaround

Boba Fett
December 2, 2009, 11:43 PM
I love my Baby Eagle. It is about 6 years old or so and it has been wonderful.

That said, the CZ is also an excellent pistol.

I like the Beretta and have often contemplated getting one. But with the CZ and Baby Eagle / Jericho around I could never bring myself to get a Beretta.

The CZ, Baby Eagle/Jericho and EAA Witness are indeed all pretty much the same platform.

I am planning to get one of the EAA Witness pistols (regular or match...haven't decided). The regular I can pickup for right around $300 NIB with or without the front accessory rail. The match I have found for around $450.

The main reason I plan on getting the Witness is the ability to swap calibers. For around $230 per conversion, the Witness can quickly change to a 9mm, 38 Super, 10mm, 40 S&W, 45, or 22lr.

Now, you can do the same for the Match Witness, but it is about $100 more for the conversion. Not listed on their website, but give them a call and they will tell you all about it.

Truth be told, the match is such a nice pistol. Very crisp trigger, comfortable to hold, very nice SA only...I really really want to get one. Only thing holding me back is the extra $100 for the conversions.

If I had to pick from your three choices, it'd be a difficult call between the CZ and Baby Eagle. If you tossed the Witness into the decision, I'd pick the Witness.

coondogger
December 3, 2009, 04:10 PM
Just to muddy the waters a bit, how would the Bersa 9mm stack up against these guns in terms of reliability and quality?

SeanSw
December 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
I like my Baby Eagle a lot. Great single action trigger, so-so double action. Reliable, very accurate, extremely easy to shoot. Also very few accessories available, and it's a BIG HEAVY 9mm. The best thing I can say is that it makes everyone look like a better shooter.

It makes a great range gun (mine also does bedside duty with 147gr hp) but if I HAD to do it over again I would probably buy a CZ-75. The lack of a manual safety only bothers me because the double action trigger isn't as good as it could be, and nowhere near as good as my surplus cz-83. They could do better. The popularity of the CZ-75 is a huge benefit if you were to carry the pistol or wish to customize in the future.

aHFo3
December 5, 2009, 01:39 AM
Great input everyone, I've been pondering the same question, but with the addition of the Browning Hi-power in the mix. I know the price is much higher, but I really like blued finishes.

wesessiah
December 5, 2009, 03:24 AM
you can't go wrong with any of these pistols, see which one feels the best to you.

i noticed a comment about the 92fs having a manual safety along with da/sa, but the 75b has this too, along with being able to keep it in condition 1 unlike the 92fs... which isn't an issue to me.

since you've mentioned a cz clone, a 92fs clone, the taurus pt92, or pt99 could be considered too. the taurus version has a frame mounted safety and can be carried in condition 1. the trigger is a little better on the beretta from my experience though.

in regards to the hi-power... i think they're great guns, but i've seen several that have had constant ftf's with jhp's.

grimjaw
December 5, 2009, 12:38 PM
I've fired the Taurus clone of the Beretta and handled the Beretta. I couldn't warm up to it. Been a CZ fan ever since I dropped the hammer on one, though.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4118511601_54022907df.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/grimjaw/4118511601/)

John Wayne
December 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
My girlfriend just bought a Bersa Thunder UC9. She likes it so far, and it's been 100% (only 2 boxes through it though).

It appears to be a well-built, reliable gun, and a great value. Not as refined as the Beretta or CZ though...trigger's not bad but there are a few rough edges on the gun, and bluing is very utilitarian. Holsters, mags, and parts are MUCH harder to come by; everything Bersa related is pretty much for the .380 as their 9mms aren't nearly as popular.

DougDubya
December 5, 2009, 11:35 PM
Charles Daly got the "Baby" Eagle from Magnum Research. Now it's back to being called the 941 Jericho.

MSRP is $674 for the full-sized.

And, they're available in .45 ACP. Can't beat that with a stick.

paradox998
December 6, 2009, 12:01 AM
It is hard to beat the CZ75B. I find it to be reliable and have a great feel in my hand. I ahve a 92fs also, but it seems just a bit too large. The kadet adapter makes a great add on and makes shooting economical.

ArfinGreebly
December 6, 2009, 01:08 AM
I'm sure all three are fine pistols.

The Beretta is proven, and I'm not in a position to criticize it.

But . . .

I have this religious thing about slide-mounted safeties.

Me, I prefer frame-mounted safeties.

The Baby Eagle and Beretta have slide-mounted safeties, and -- for better or worse -- I've come down on the side of frame mounts.

The 1911, BHP, and CZ all have frame-mounted safeties. Classics. One of the factors in my selection of the Taurus PT911 was its frame-mounted safety.

I figure I'd rather learn one set of motions for one manual of arms instead of having to remember "okay, today I'm wearing the pistol with the slide-mounted safety" as I load up for the day.

I accept that it's all a matter for preference and personal religion. Just one of them thangs.

So, for me, from the available candidates, I'm taking the CZ 75.

30mag
December 6, 2009, 02:13 AM
+1 for CZ.

NG VI
December 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
Pilot, I too own a PCR.

Does the Kadet work on a PCR?

I've got a PCR and Kadet, they are a perfect match for each other. Want a 75B to go with them.

NG VI
December 6, 2009, 04:30 PM
Great input everyone, I've been pondering the same question, but with the addition of the Browning Hi-power in the mix. I know the price is much higher, but I really like blued finishes.

You can get a blued CZ.

msiley
December 6, 2009, 05:42 PM
I've never handled a baby eagle but about 8 months ago I was looking to purchase a new handgun and it was between the Beretta 92 and the CZ 75. I shot them side by side and for me it was no contest.
I shot the CZ like a laser. The Beretta was good but it didn't point as naturally for me and
I was less accurate with it. Also the Beretta is really big in comparison. Another plus for the CZ is
the .22 LR Kadet kit. It's nice to shoot for pennies a round instead of quarters a round. :-)

If you enjoyed reading about "cz 75 vs Beretta 92 vs baby eagle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!