Any .380 shotshells out there???

PDA

BudS
November 8, 2003, 09:32 PM
I've asked numerous gun shops around the area- no one seems to know anything. I know CCI makes shot shells for 9mm and .38/.357, but I'd like to fins some in .380 for my wife to carry, when she's in the yard or the garden (we have BAD problems with moccasins and rattlesnakes here).

If anyone can locate some, I'd be glad to buy or order them. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Any .380 shotshells out there???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
November 9, 2003, 01:14 AM
I never heard of any, though I suppose they could be made up. I don't care for the idea in an auto pistol anyway, as they don't function the gun and if the person needs a quick second shot the gun has to be operated by hand. If the situation is as you describe, I would get a decent .38 revolver and use the .38 shot shells.

Jim

BudS
November 9, 2003, 08:53 PM
Jim, the CCI shotshells I use in my Kel-Tec P-11 cycle perfectly; I've never had a problem with them. I also like them in my S&W 19. Problem is, my wife doesn't like carrying the heavy 19, nor does she like the recoil of the 9mm, but she'll melt the barrel down on her .380 shooting FMJ at snakes! I guess I'll check on-line to CCI...thanks for your opinion.

Roboshred
November 14, 2003, 02:01 AM
The best thing that ever happened to the popularity of the 1911 was the AWB. When it expires next year, and the $20 high capacity magazine makes a return, the Wonder Nine/Forty craze will return as well,

High capacity mags are gone unless your LEO or buy old ones. There aren't enough gun owners in this country to repeal the old legislation nor to stop the future bans in populous states. Dubya can't even get his judges confirmed let alone get AR's ; AK's and high capacity magazines passed. Pistols in the semi auto configuration are the next item on the gun banners chopping block. Buy now and forever hold your piece. ;)

David4516
November 14, 2003, 03:51 PM
Do those shot rounds do any dammage to the barrel of your pistol? I've thought about trying some .22LR shot rounds in one of my wheel guns just for fun, but I'm worried that it might not be good for the rifling or something...

BryanP
November 14, 2003, 08:12 PM
Dubya can't even get his judges confirmed let alone get AR's ; AK's and high capacity magazines passed.

168 out of 172 confirmed. 98% is not exactly a bad record.

I'm just hoping I can get a .22lr AR-15 upper with 30+ round magazines next year.

BudS
November 14, 2003, 10:17 PM
I've never had any trouble with .22 "rat shot" fouling barrels- it's just soft lead. As a kid, I used to have fun popping rats at night with either a .22 bolt action rifle or a 6" .22 wheelgun and I never had problems with normal rounds. Of course, a good cleaning after shooting ANY round with a decent brass bore brush couldn't hurt.

BTW, numerous Wild West Show cowboys and cowgirls used shot shells to shoot glass balls thrown up, wowing the crowds with their trick shooting!

45crittergitter
November 20, 2003, 11:05 AM
No. If you could get Speer to sell the 9mm capsules as components as they do some calibers, perhaps you could load some. May have to shorten the capsule. Perhaps you could pull some from factory 9mm CCI shotshells.

BluesBear
November 21, 2003, 01:59 AM
Around 1970 or 1971 (IIRC) Guns & Ammo magazine published an article on how to make functioning shot cartridges for .45acp out of .30-06 or .308 brass. I made some a few years later and they did indeed work fine.

Around 1980 I again made some for some customers in .38 super and 9mm using .223 brass (yes I had a class 6 license).

I guess it would be possible to do the same for a .380.

Of course you could just load #12 shot into a .38 Speer Shot Cap in a .380 case and load it singly for the first shot. You'd have to play around with the powder charge to get it to eject but due to the weight of the loaded shot cap it shouldn't be too difficult. I doubt you could ever get them to feed from the magazine.

You could also get a NAA Mini in .22WMR and load that with CCI shotshells.

Double Naught Spy
November 21, 2003, 08:49 AM
"I never heard of any, though I suppose they could be made up. I don't care for the idea in an auto pistol anyway, as they don't function the gun and if the person needs a quick second shot the gun has to be operated by hand. "

You know, I have shot .45 acp shot shells out of 3 sizes of 1911s and never had a problem. They do fine for follow-up shots. I don't know why folks keep saying they don't cycle guns. I have yet to see them not cycle them. They work better than Winchester Winclean in terms of reliability and cycling in my guns.

Four Knives
April 3, 2010, 05:05 AM
Pardon the necro-res, but curious as to any availability nowadays.

Snakes are out where I live and it might be a good option to have a few shotshells stoked in the pocket .380 - I realize they may or may not cycle the slide reliably

Google has failed me.

6x6pinz
April 3, 2010, 05:09 AM
jg has been sending emails out once a week stating they have them available. PMC is the current stock available Of course these are just regular rounds and not shotshells. I don't believe I have ever seen shotshell rounds in .380

Four Knives
April 3, 2010, 10:41 AM
Yes, I mean shotshells in .380 caliber
My stock of .380 ammo is acceptable currently, but I have been unable to find any information as to whether or not any .380 shotshells are even made

rcmodel
April 3, 2010, 12:46 PM
No, to my knowledge, none were ever made.
The .380 case is too short to hold a useful Speer 9mm shotcap charge & powder when seated to a functional OAL.

I did play around with making them out of lathe turned .223 brass with a star-crimp, but again, not enough room to be very useful.
Just not enough room.

I couldn't get enough shot charge weight to make recoil function a P3AT.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/380ShotshellJPG.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/380Shot3.jpg

rc

Four Knives
April 3, 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info RC

I have a Dillon, so I thought of brewing my own, but since I probably won't go through it very fast, I'd just as soon buy factory stuff if it's available

I was able to find something on Google about making your own snake loads using cardboard 'wadding' - even if the slide didn't cycle, just seems these thin pocket 380s would do well with a shotshell option.

Looks like that pattern you got above would do plenty well

rugerman
April 3, 2010, 05:07 PM
I have made shot shells in 45lc with gas checks that worked well (at very close range) but they were too much trouble. I'm with the other guys, too small a payload won't function the gun, shoot more use ball.

Four Knives
April 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thx Ruger

Ball not a good choice for danger close in the rocks out here in the desert.

I realize the limitations, but even if it turns the LCP into a one shot derringer, I'm ok with that - I'll just manipulate the slide.

Based on the pattern RC Model had, one shot is probably all you'd need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any .380 shotshells out there???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!