Colt or USFA SAA revolver?

PDA

Kestrel
November 8, 2003, 09:45 PM
Is the Colt made better than the USFA SAA revolvers?

Thanks,
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt or USFA SAA revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gunsnrovers
November 8, 2003, 10:40 PM
I believe that USFA makes a better revolver, but that the Colt will hold more value $ wise. If you're looking for a shooter made in the Blue Dome, I would get the USFA. If you want a safe queen to collect, get a Colt.

Just my $0.02.

Jeff

Jim March
November 9, 2003, 01:27 AM
Check this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42868&perpage=100

Josey
November 9, 2003, 02:52 AM
I would buy a Colt SAA. I have seen and shot a few USPFA and USFA pistols. They aren't that great. The fit and finish was terrific on their Omni Potent revolvers. The China Camps were nice but, rusted quickly. That was their design decision. They were high dollar Ubertis just like Cimmarons for a time. USFA now makes their own revolvers and outsources parts from USA suppliers. They are not really a great deal for your money. The cheaper Rodeo line is OK but, overpriced. Collectors do buy new USFA models and keep them in their safes. I have handled many Colts. The new Colt is turning out the BEST SAA ever! The last one I looked over was flawless and the grips seemed to be a perfect fit to the frame. They have even begun to use the old style press in cylinder bushing again. BP shooters will like that. The Colt has mystery, mystique, desirability and appreciates in resale. Why would anyone consider anything else? I do shoot Rugers in 44-40 myself. Why? I shoot hot BP loads. I know that Rugers are strong, cheap to repair or replace and have the "look". I could buy four used Rugers to one Colt SAA.

tex_n_cal
November 9, 2003, 08:49 PM
see my remarks on that other thread:)

The USFA Rodeo is good, if you like that class of gun. They have a little larger diameter cylinder than the SAA, so are a bit stronger.

In a high end SAA, though, the polished/blue/color case USFA costs as much as a Colt, and the resale value is an unknown.

The Colt New frontiers may be the best of both worlds, IMHO.

Kestrel
November 9, 2003, 10:01 PM
tex,

I thought the Rodeo was the same as the polished blue USFA, just with the lower finishing. Are you sure?

Steve

tex_n_cal
November 9, 2003, 10:07 PM
The Rodeos I have seen are matte (sandblasted) blue all over, except for the hammer, which is color cased. The high end USFA's have color cased frames, with bright polished blue barrel & cylinder, and now cost well over $1000 each. When they first came out, they were in the $800 range, which was a good deal.

There are other variations, like the China Camp model which is in the white. There also have a couple of other minor variations, like target models and Bisley models

Kestrel
November 9, 2003, 10:13 PM
tex,

What I meant, was in reference to what you wrote about the larger cylinder diameter on the Rodeo. I thought there was no difference between them, other than the finish?

Steve

tex_n_cal
November 10, 2003, 03:25 AM
Ah okay...

What I have read (forget which magazine) is the .45 Colt USFA cylinders are .015" bigger than Colts, to give a little more strength. The article didn't say if that was true of all their guns, or just the Rodeo. I don't own a SAA clone or Colt, so I can't confirm it either way. It's easy to confirm if you have a pair of calipers.

stevelyn
November 10, 2003, 09:06 AM
Ahem.......Have you thought about checking out the new Beretta Stampede? It can be had for less than the Colt or the USFA.

mec
November 11, 2003, 04:25 PM
Cylinder diameter is this much bigger than a colt. It is the same as a Uberti we had on hand
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Cumpston_USFA-PreWar/cyldiam.jpg
Fit and finish is very nice
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Cumpston_USFA-PreWar/leftprime.jpg
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Cumpston_USFA-PreWar/50ft.jpg

It takes 12 weeks to get one of these- they make them up as orders are received. The Rodeos don't take as long because they are kept in stock. The USFA company appears to care about marketing a quality product

Kestrel
November 11, 2003, 10:28 PM
mec,

Those guns are beautiful.

Steve

tex_n_cal
November 12, 2003, 12:01 AM
mec - thanks for confirming the size - .025" is more better than .015", anyway:)

I of course still want a .44 Special Colt. I was surprised to learn on the USFA website they don't offer the Special, just the Russian.

mec
November 12, 2003, 08:06 AM
Really?! I thought about a .44 Special myself but went ahead and got the .45. The article with these pictures is on www.gunblast.com with links to a piece by Jeff Quinn on the Rodeo.
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Handguns/Single-Action_Pistols/usframert.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt or USFA SAA revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!