Should I buy a used Hi-Point?

PDA

christcorp
December 2, 2009, 12:01 PM
1st; let me say that I don't NEED any more guns. I probably have more than I need. (Even though us guys probably don't think we ever have enough). But one of my local gun dealers won a bid with the local police/sheriffs office and bought a large lot of confiscated weapons. What I'm looking at is a Hi-Point C9 9mm pistol.

I've always heard good things about Hi-Point, so that isn't really the issue. This one however used, is going for $65. That's a little less than half price compared to new. And with a lifetime warranty, I'm not too concerned if there's an issue with it in the future. The only reason I'm considering it is:
1) It's a 9mm, and that's one caliber I don't have.
2) It's cheap.
3) While I don't reload pistol any longer, I can hold onto the 9mm brass and trim it down and use it to reload my 9mm makarov if I chose to. (All makarov I shoot now is steel case and not reloadable).
4) Ammo is pretty cheap.

The biggest concern/question I have is: What the hell would I do with this gun? I've sold/traded off many guns throughout the years. I can honestly say that every weapon I have left, has a specific purpose. As for handguns, I have a 22 revolver for plinking, cheap fun, if needed; small game survival hunting, ... I have a PPK style 32acp for CCW when in a suit or little clothing. I have a CZ-82 9mm mak for normal day to day CCW. A sig P220 for CCW with heavy clothing and open carry. A S&W model 13 357 magnum for home defense. I have others for other reasons, but those 5 handguns are the ones with 5 pretty specific purposes. I just can't seem to think about what I would use a hi-point 9mm for. For self defense, I am quite comfortable with the makarov, 32acp, or 45acp. So, can anyone help me think of reasons why I might spend $65 on a Hi-Point C9 9mm??? thanks....

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a used Hi-Point?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike J
December 2, 2009, 12:25 PM
I came across some High Points at a gun show a couple of years ago & thought about buying one. There was a dealer there that was selling them NIB for $99.00 a piece. I know a couple of people who have had them & from what they said they worked as long as you keep them clean. I decided against it. Not because I feel like I have every gun I need or want. I just thought I would rather wait & save my money for something else I would rather have. I guess the question is do you want it?

wamj2008
December 2, 2009, 12:32 PM
I spent $65 on a Bryco .380, and sold it about 3 days later. Impulse buys are bad things, especially when it comes to cheap guns. That's my experience anyway. Plus, you'll have to buy another caliber.

KevininPa
December 2, 2009, 12:33 PM
I had one and wish I kept it as a truck/barn gun. Shot anything it was fed. If it disappears you won't be put out much. Those little gun safes you buy for a car/truck probably run more.
BTW, might want to double check that 9mm trimming theory. I believe Makarov cases are wider in diameter. The .380 is a short 9mm case. I believe some euro firearms are labeled "9mm cort" ( 9mm short). Even then I'm not sure you could do it because I believe 9mm casings are tapered and .380 are not. More knowledgeable minds will weigh in I'm sure.

Oldnoob
December 2, 2009, 12:40 PM
For $65? Buy it. Just so you can give a first person experience review about it the next time someone post a Hi Point thread. And if you find yourself not wanting to keep it for whatever reason, you can sell it for the same or better price.

zombienerd
December 2, 2009, 12:41 PM
I say buy it... Throw it in the glovebox in your car/truck... Forget about it :)

The more the merrier...

SG1
December 2, 2009, 12:56 PM
A guy I work with bought one of those this weekend. I was impressed with how small it is compared to their .380 and .45 versions.

For the price, if all is functional, would make an excellent glove box gun.

w_houle
December 2, 2009, 01:09 PM
$65 means that you aren't losing money on the deal. Fobus makes a nice holster for it. The C9 also takes the same magazine as the CF380, so should be plentiful. Sounds good to me :)

wgaynor
December 2, 2009, 01:15 PM
If you buy it, and decide you don't want it, I have no doubt you'll find a person willing to buy it from you. (I will, if the shipping and fees keep it a reasonable purchase).

Hi points have a no questions asked warranty. Even if you are the 4th owner of it, you run it over with a semi, after pulling it from a lake, send it in, they'll fix it, and send you a free magazine for your troubles.

I bought a used one and loved it. I regret selling it...

MCgunner
December 2, 2009, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't buy a knew one, but hey, it's up to you.

christcorp
December 2, 2009, 01:30 PM
Kevin; the trimming of the 9mm luger cases for use in makarovs is a very common practice. Yes, the makarov is a little wider; .364 instead of .357; but once you put in through the makarov dies, it will resize properly. Like I said, this is a very common practice among makarov reloaders. Never a problem 1.

I think I might just go ahead and buy it. I'll look at it again today and see if it's still available. They also have a chrome .380 model; but 380 is a caliber that is way to expensive, and it's weaker than my makarov, yet bigger than the 32acp. Basically, no possible use for that caliber at all.

On a side note; my boss is wanting to get rid of one of his "Cheap" pistols. It's an AMC Backup 380. SAO. He wants $75. I've shot it before, and as long as you use FMJ in it, it works fine. Again; no real use for a 380, but the size and price are tempting. Thoughts???

mcdonl
December 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
Buy if for sure. .380's are too hard to get ammo for. The C9 is a good, strong reliable pistol. I have put 1000's of rounds through mine without a problem. I have a 9mm carbine too and it is just as reliable so far.

Ben86
December 2, 2009, 02:47 PM
An AMC! Snatch that up for sure! Those little pistols are cool. It would make a great pocket gun. I regret not buying my dad's when he sold it to get a glock 23.

As for the high point, it would probably make a pretty good knock around gun. I personally can't stand to look that them because they are sooo ugly.

PX15
December 2, 2009, 02:53 PM
FWIW:

HighPoint has one of the best warranties in the firearms industry... All HighPoints are warranted for EVER, and EVER, amen..

No matter if you were the original owner, or you found in a dumpster (in which case I'd call the fuzz, being the good citizen that I am in my senior citizen years), the warranty is good..

Would I want such a pistol? No thanks, I stay away from cheap guns just because thank the Lord I have that option.. But from all I've read owners seem real happy with them. HighPoint pistols seem to shoot much better than you'd expect for their cost.

Just personal opinion, no offense to those who might disagree.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Just One Shot
December 2, 2009, 03:26 PM
It's butt ugly and to me that seems awful expensive for a paper weight.
:D
:neener:

KBintheSLC
December 2, 2009, 03:51 PM
For $65 I might buy it even though I don't really care for cheap guns. Just make sure it works... a lifetime warranty is not worth much if you end up dead. Like others have said, it could be tossed in a trunk, toolbox, garage, etc. and you don't really have to care about it too much.

DeepSouth
December 2, 2009, 03:54 PM
What the hell would I do with this gun?get agervated you bought a jam-o-matic and sell it for a loss.

If you want a single shot 9mm.........buy it.:)

w_houle
December 2, 2009, 04:13 PM
Jam-o-matic, huh? Wow... That's funny, cute, and just so gosh darned original! So how many rounds of what brand have you fired before you gave up on yours?

woad_yurt
December 2, 2009, 04:30 PM
$65.00 for a working 9MM?

I've shot those; they work. Why would anyone hesitate? I'd snap it up for beater use.

mcdonl
December 2, 2009, 04:32 PM
They are not good guns for posers though. If you like to brag about brands more then shooting you should pass up on it. Or, buy it and I will give you $75 +shipping and Transfer. I could use a second... although... my first has never given me cause to replace it. None-the-less... the offer still stands.

christcorp
December 2, 2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I will see if it's still available, and if so, probably buy it. As I mentioned in the original post, it's not like I need it. I have more than enough guns. All in the "So called" higher quality/grade. e.g. Smith, Sig, Ruger, Walther, Dan Wesson, CZ, etc... But it could be a good trunk gun. If it doesn't work well, I send it in for free warranty work. If I don't like it, I sell it for what I paid, or a little more. And the brass that I shoot will at least be useful to me if I ever want to reload for my makarov. Trim it down, run it through the Mak dies, instant 9mm makarov brass. So, it looks like I'll go see if it's still available. Thanks for all the opinions.

christcorp
December 2, 2009, 09:13 PM
Well, it was still available, so I got it. After reviewing it over a lot, it seems in pretty good shape. I think it might need a new magazine. It fits fine, but doesn't want to hold the slide open and locked on the last round. If I hold the magazine in further, it seems to do fine. But because of this issue, I was able to get the dealer to drop the price down to $55 for it. At that price, I really can't go wrong. I spend that much money on beer and munchies for college football games each Saturday. Anyway, I'll see about ordering a new magazine. if that works.... Great. If not.... I send it in to Hi-Point. Their no questions asked warranty is part of the reason I even considered this gun. Seems like a No Lose situation. Thanks all.

Chargerlord
December 2, 2009, 10:24 PM
take your 65$ and buy modern warfare 2 youll be a lot happier. Ive shot these things and wasnt impressed, yes its cheap but youll be happier with the video game beleive me. And one of the few guns you cant use in the game you guessd it a 9mm High point if its not good enough for a video game its not good enough for the real world

w_houle
December 2, 2009, 10:37 PM
take your 65$ and buy modern warfare 2 you'll be a lot happier. Ive shot these things and wasn't impressed, yes its cheap but you'll be happier with the video game believe me. And one of the few guns you cant use in the game you guessed it a 9mm High point if its not good enough for a video game its not good enough for the real world
Not even close... Call of Duty: World at War.
/Go big or go home:neener:

Last Knight
December 2, 2009, 11:08 PM
take your 65$ and buy modern warfare 2 youll be a lot happier. Ive shot these things and wasnt impressed, yes its cheap but youll be happier with the video game beleive me. And one of the few guns you cant use in the game you guessd it a 9mm High point if its not good enough for a video game its not good enough for the real world
It's entirely possible that this is the silliest thing I've read on a message board.

And I read 4chan.

christcorp
December 2, 2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I'm 48 years old, and video games are something I am not into. And it's not a computer thing. I've been working with computers way before Al Gore ever invented the internet.

Anyway; as I said; I bought it. I got it for a little less. Total of $55. I think that is definitely worth it.

w_houle
December 2, 2009, 11:26 PM
Anyway; as I said; I bought it. I got it for a little less. Total of $55. I think that is definitely worth it.
Less talk, more pics!
It's entirely possible that this is the silliest thing I've read on a message board.

And I read
Are you sure?
Just remember Rule 1
and Rule 2
Have fun with Rule 34:p

bigeye
December 2, 2009, 11:34 PM
The warranty is absolute. It works or you return it. Ten days old or ten years old, and found buried in your back yard. If the Mag is a problem, let them know. They are really a mom and dad company and honestly keep their 'no questions forever' guarantee. The gun, also is good. REALLY good. Everyone gripes (I was nice) about how ugly it is. It shoots and shoots well. If the guy in the next lane shooting can not stand to be next to it, ask him politely to leave as you will be shooting until the range closes. Watch his expression (as he leaves). Ugly, yes, reliable, Yes, super warranty, yes. Shoots like crazy, yes. These are good American manufacturers and you will not be sorry. I have the 9 mm carbine (have had for - - -oh my God___Years and it still shoots like new. ( A few others too.) What a fun gun. Fun in important. You do not need a
Desert Eagle to have fun. Go for it.

christcorp
December 3, 2009, 12:01 AM
Sorry; here's a pic. Not a good one. Came off my cell phone.
http://zatx7g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pTE3WkRaEgZM0fW1tqDBMPxVFdZHgIq65mNvYQrNW-VZz85FjsGTAlLuHMw4Uhf45DI6S63FL1TmptNPlkcv7ZSf9D5qAdjGv/hpc9.jpeg

RX-178
December 3, 2009, 12:29 AM
I've gotten into a habit of using Hi Points as 'loaners'.

A lot of my friends aren't gun enthusiasts, and a good number of them don't (or at least didn't at the time) own guns. But most of them came around and started asking questions about keeping a gun for home defense, or keeping a gun in their car, etc. And occasionally, these same people are also in a financial bind, especially with the recent economy.

At this point, I help them decide what kind of weapon is right for them the best I can, and then go: 'So start saving your pennies up to get one of those... in the meantime this here is called a Hi Point 4095'. I explain the four rules to them. I give them a crash course in how to maintain the weapon. I tell them where to buy ammunition. I take them to the range to teach them how to shoot. Then I leave the weapon with them.

So what if they mishandle it and trash it? I just send it back to Hi Point and get another one!

And a lot of those people I loaned Hi Points to are now Hi Point owners themselves. Go figure.

makarovnik
December 3, 2009, 12:55 AM
Good range or truck gun not so great for CCW.

Ben86
December 3, 2009, 01:36 AM
christcorp, do you mean AMT Backup? If so and you don't buy your boss's AMT and he is interested in selling it online let me know.

wgaynor
December 3, 2009, 02:16 PM
After reading and posting on this thread, I caught gun fever again. Can't seem to really ever get over that nasty bug. Anyway, I went to the gunshop for some medicine and walked out with a Hi-Point C9 brand new for $125. Worked flawlessly out of the box.

Lesson learned, be careful what you read, you might catch something.

Mooseman
December 3, 2009, 02:44 PM
I've actually been keeping my eye out for a used one at the gunshows. I would have picked it up at that price in a heartbeat.

X-Rap
December 3, 2009, 02:47 PM
As long as those are made nobody can call a Glock the ugliest.
Man that gun fell from the top of the ugly tree.

christcorp
December 3, 2009, 02:53 PM
The reason it's ugly, is because it's not a breach gun like a NORMAL gun. It's a Blowback. Normally, a blowback can only handle so much pressure; and is usually designed for smaller calibers. 32acp, 380, and 9mm makarov are about the most powerful. HOWEVER, blowback is a lot cheaper to make because it has a fixed barrel and much simpler designed. Here's the BIG HOWEVER>....... If you want a blowback to work with a more powerful caliber, such as a 9mm, then you will need one hell of a heavy slide to handle all that extra pressure so you don't break the gun. Well, Hi-point made a thick, heavy, thus ugly gun that could do 9mm +P and still be a blow back. There is no way to make an inexpensive blowback in 9mm +P that wouldn't look like the Hi-Point.

mcdonl
December 3, 2009, 02:54 PM
Have fun Christcorp!! Good for you, I am jelous!

X-Rap
December 3, 2009, 03:06 PM
I understand the mechanics, and have no problem with someone having it. There will always be an extra floating around cause I will never have it.
Ugly

mcdonl
December 3, 2009, 03:20 PM
Christcorp.... www.hipointtalk.com good people, good resources.

christcorp
December 3, 2009, 03:29 PM
After picking up the pistol, I thought that there were 2 features that it wasn't doing properly, so the dealer let me have it for $55. The 2 features were that with an empty magazine in, the slide would not lock back; simulating "Last Round" lock open. I thought that it should lock back. The other feature advertised, was that with the magazine out of the gun, that it shouldn't be allowed to fire/dry fire the trigger. But, with the magazine out, it still would fire/dry fire. Well, I called the manufacturer today and asked about it. I gave them the serial number, and he verified that this weapon was built around 1994-5. And that was PRIOR to the last round lock open or the magazine out safety feature being put into the gun. So basically, that tells me that the gun is working as it's suppose be. I just need to go out and try shooting it now. Current temps are in the single digits, so hopefully it will warm up a little by the weekend and I can try it out. But for $55, it seems like a no brainer. If it fires reliably, it should make for a good truck gun. I have my Sig, CZ, Walther, FEG and S&W as my primary CCW and/or home defense guns. But this seems like a decent deal for something I don't have to worry about being tough on. Plus their warranty. So, seems like a winner. Thanks for all the input.

mcdonl
December 3, 2009, 03:56 PM
Christcorp... first off... in Maine... it is in the 70's :)

If it doesnt fire reliably send it back and you will get it either rebuilt or replaced, free of charge.

Norinco982lover
December 3, 2009, 04:07 PM
Sounds like a good buy! I would probably avoid buying one unless it was in the $80 range...but you got a good deal:D

Mike J
December 3, 2009, 04:09 PM
Congrats on your purchase Christcorp.

christcorp
December 3, 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks... I just need the weather to warm a little so I can go try it out. We have a warm streak coming Sunday. 11 degrees!!! WooHoo. At least I got some ammo from Walmart today. Federal 115 grain FMJ for $9.96 a box.

KevininPa
December 3, 2009, 10:36 PM
Which FEG do you own?

BHP FAN
December 3, 2009, 10:49 PM
I don't think I'd pass it up.A shooter I know bought one about five years ago,on the theory he'd just shoot it until it dies.Five years and many thousands of rounds later it's still ticking.Another buddy of mine bought one,and the thing just won't work....for $65.00,I'd go for it.

$55?!! You stole that! Congrats!!

christcorp
December 3, 2009, 11:11 PM
Kevin; numerous ones. I have an FEG PA-63 9mm Makarov. I have an FEG AP-MBP (Exact identical twin to the PA-63, except it's a 32acp). I also "HAD", an FEG ACK (45acp). They are all great. I really like military guns the most. All of mine are military and/or police. Yes, some fall into the category of the "Snob Guns" that those who look down on Hi-point have. Like my Sig P220 and Springfield armory 1911. But my 2 FEG's are definitely 2 of my favorites. Both were ORIGINALLY used by Hungarian Police department personnel.

ChefKristian
December 4, 2009, 01:47 AM

Well, I guess I have to throw away my XD40... It's never been in a video game... Oh and all you Kimber, Taurus (any handgun), HK (any handgun), Sig (any handgun), FN Five SeveN owners out there... throw your guns away too.

Dude, you need to turn off your video game, unplug it, and go outside once in a while.

mcdonl
December 4, 2009, 09:52 AM
I feel better with chargerlord behind a video game console then a firearm.

PT1911
December 4, 2009, 10:22 AM
cool man, I hope you like your purchase... I just couldnt bring myself to do it.

christcorp
December 4, 2009, 10:50 AM
There's a lot of differing opinions. There always have been. Including opinions with glocks, sig, and any other manufacturer. Some people love them. Some hate them. But you will always be able to find both sides. I think, when it comes to any gun purchase, certain things need to be put into perspective.

1. Is it your ONLY gun. If you are only going to have 1 handgun; and it's going to be for plinking, self defense, and home defense; then I think you need to be more selective. And yes, if I am only going to have one gun, it probably wouldn't be a Hi-Point. Then again, it probably wouldn't even be a semi-auto. It would be a 357 magnum revolver. Largest range of uses over ANY AND ALL OTHER CALIBERS. Greatest selection various ammo. 38spl - 357. Power levels equal to those just over a 380acp, all the way beyond all other defensive handguns. So, if it's your only gun, other considerations must be taken.

2. What will you use it for? If you don't have a CCW, and you either don't or can't open carry, then is it for home defense or plinking? Also, combine this with my first consideration and you can decide if it's a good gun or not.

3. Finally; are you in a position where you even NEED this gun, or is it something you mainly WANT? While it's definitely possible to get mugged, robbed, raped, etc... in any spot in the country, some people are in more of a need than others. Where I live, unless you were afraid of an estranged ex-wife/husband, or similar; it is one of the safest places in the entire country. Different attitude among people here. Yes, 85% of all citizens having a gun does affect the attitude of criminals, but it's safe none the less. It's a paradox. Don't need guns, because it's so safe. It's so safe, because everyone has guns. So, for the person who chooses to not have a gun, because they don't need one, a hi-point might be perfect for plinking and having fun. Being they don't feel their life is at risk.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a Hi-Point isn't reliable enough to defend your life with confidence. Many people believe they are, and that's what matters. I'm just saying that each person will see having a gun from a different perspective. Unfortunately, there are a lot of naive and ignorant people who buy guns totally based on what others say, or in the belief that all guns are equal. That too is wrong. I love my 1966 Mustang. Rebuilt 289. Plenty of horses. I love the car. But, would I have it if I could only have or afford to have 1 car???? No. I would go with the "MORE" reliable 2004 Toyota camry. If I had to sell all my semi-auto guns but 1, would I keep the Hi-point as that 1? No; without a doubt; I'd keep my SigSauer P220. What if I had to get rid of ALL guns but 1. I'd probably keep the S&W 357 mag revolver for a handgun. But I have options. Some people don't. For some people, the Hi-Point is all they have. And for many of them, they don't put thousands of rounds through their guns. So basically, any gun that is shot maybe 1 or 2 boxes of ammo a year, will probably be quite reliable when you need it. 95% of all incidents only require the mere sight of a gun to scare off the bad guy. If you do need to fire, the 1st shot is usually enough to scare or stop the threat. And most semi-auto problems usually allow at least the 1st shot before a problem. So, even with a bryco, jimenez, or phoenix, getting at least 1 shot off is better than nothing. It's all a matter or perspective.

KevininPa
December 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
It was the SMC-380, a PPK clone. Very accurate little shooter. Ended up getting rid of it because it tore up my hand like a PPK.

ChefKristian
December 4, 2009, 11:43 AM
If I had stumble upon ANY Hi-Point for $55- $65, I would first ask myself why it's so cheap and look it over... (A little advice for those who are not familiar with Hi_points- Bring a #8 Punch tool with you if you want to take it apart to examine it) Then the next question I would ask the seller is "Do you take Visa?"

IMO, Hi-Points are heavy, "ugly", bulky, and cheap. I know, I used to have the .45 but sold it for a smaller gun so I can take my CHL. But they go Bang. And finding a $55-$65 9mm to just fart around with at the range, when 9mm ammo is so readily available and cheap... and you won't feel bad if it gets banged around in your glove box, tackle box, bottom of your tool box, or dropped in the mud if you are out hunting... I say good find my man, good find.

And you can't beat the warranty...

christcorp
December 4, 2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks Chef. I too am very conscientious about used guns. I know pretty much where this gun came from. One of our local gun dealers won a "BID" for a batch of 150 confiscated weapons collected by various local police departments and sheriffs offices. There were plenty of rifles, shotguns, and pistols. MOST were not confiscated because they were used in a crime; but mainly because the individual/owner was not allowed to have the gun. E.g. caught concealed without a permit; confiscated during the investigation of other offense; etc... Anyway; this came from a batch of police confiscated weapons.

KBintheSLC
December 4, 2009, 03:16 PM
Boy those things are ugly... sorry, no offense. But for $55 I think it is hard to beat. I would totally buy that to mount under my work bench in the garage.

christcorp
December 4, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yea KB, they aren't the greatest looking gun. Then again, I think the Glocks are also pretty ugly. But if it works out ok mechanically, it will be a fantastic gun to take as a side arm hunting; in the garage; in my trunk; etc... It's one of those that most people who have shot them say are reliable. Yet cheap enough that I'm not worried. I sure wouldn't leave my thousand dollar sig P220 in the truck or garage.

oasis618
January 28, 2010, 01:40 AM
...seriously?

bds
January 28, 2010, 02:25 AM
Saw a High Point at the range gun counter today (was looking at some 1911 for the next purchase). For some reason, the large slide make it look like a science fiction movie prop.

The fact that it was on display at a California range means it passed the California drop safety test and authorized for sale.

$127 - Wow. :eek:

wgaynor
January 29, 2010, 09:46 PM
"take your 65$ and buy modern warfare 2 youll be a lot happier. Ive shot these things and wasnt impressed, yes its cheap but youll be happier with the video game beleive me. And one of the few guns you cant use in the game you guessd it a 9mm High point if its not good enough for a video game its not good enough for the real world"

Chargelord, you have to be joking...right? I mean seriously... I'm begging you to fess up, you were joking! If not, then what kind of reply is that to a question about buying a used hi-point. I don't mean to embarrass you, but good gosh man! Speak from experience, not from video game conjecture. That would like me saying I don't like plumbers because Luigi was goofy looking!

PX15
January 30, 2010, 11:29 AM
FMOfartO:

Well, here's my 2c worth regarding the Hi-Point pistol.

First, never owned, or even fired one. I have held one at a gun shop and the one I held was uglier than sin, but..

From everything I've read on the various firearm forums for years the Hi-Point pistol seems to be more than the sum of it's cheap parts, and ugly frame. Time after time I've read forum threads regarding the Hi-Point pistol and the vast majority of those comments are about two facts.

1. The Hi-Point pistol is an ugly mother.
2. The Hi-Point pistol actually shoots pretty well and it's light years better than having no firearm for personal protection at all.

Additionally the Hi-Point comes with a lifetime warranty... Not the lifetime of the original owner, as with most firearms manufacturers, but basically FOREVER, no matter if the owner is the 1st, or the 100th owner. IF the Hi-Point ever just goes belly up and cannot be repaired at the factory, they'll just send you a NEW one.

I'm a name brand snob when it comes to pistols and revolvers, and I'd never be caught carrying such a cheap, ugly gun for protection, UNLESS I only had enough money to buy a Hi-Point, then I'd snatch up one of the ugly things in a heartbeat.

For folks with limited funds the Hi-Point, IMHO, is the best deal in town.

Just personal opinion, no offense intended.

Jesse

P.S. I DO have a Hi-Point 995 9MM carbine. Excellent little carbine, bought new, for $150.00. It functions and fires perfectly, and makes a nice companion to my 9MM pistols. (Not Hi-Points obviously).

Jonah71
January 30, 2010, 04:22 PM
For $65 ?? I'd buy it for a range gun at that price (even though I don't like them). At the very least, you will be able to say you've had one, and make up your own mind as to the quality and dependability issues.

bds
January 30, 2010, 08:45 PM
How about this?

From what I read from various user experience forums and gun magazine write ups, Hi Point guns appear to be functional guns with good accuracy.

Everyone agrees that they are ugly and you can't beat the price.

So ..... would you buy them if the company made the guns more attractive?

wgaynor
January 30, 2010, 11:08 PM
I don't think alot of people would be more inclined to buy them. I"ve heard alot of comments on the forums stating that their life wouldn't be trusted to a cheap gun. Many people have the cheap gun phobia. Now, if you slapped a $300 price tag on the hipoint, then they'd be tripping over themselves to buy one.

hiram2005
January 31, 2010, 12:58 AM
I had 3 of the C-9's. Ugly and heavy. Accurate and reliable. I did carry mine concealed a few times. Compare it to a Glock 19 like I did. Actually size wise there's not much difference. To para-phrase Forrest Gump, Ugly is, as ugly does.

jojo200517
January 31, 2010, 01:31 AM
I seen one in .45 that was green for $165 new. I must say I was tempted to buy it for the price but I just couldn't bring my self to buy something that ugly. I don't mean to offend anyone that has one but the things fell out of the top of the ugly tree and hit ever limb on the way down. Most people say they go bang every time but if it ever don't its ugly enough and big enough to scare the pee out of someone (just kidding).

Only one I ever shot was a friends .380 version out of the box it wouldn't eject right. The brass would get caught sticking half way out the side. He sent it back and they tweaked it and got it right. He turned around and sold it when .380 got so hard to get. After it was fixed it was a very accurate weapon but it was as big as my pt145.

If I had a chance to buy a .45 for that cheap I probably would just to have it. I don't need any more calibers tho so no 9mm for me.

StarDust1
January 31, 2010, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't accept a free hi-point, let alone fork out cash for one...I see that in post #51 the op mentions them in the context of comparing Glocks & Sigs, which is virtually the same as comparing a used Yugo with a Subaru Outback and a Corvette....

Mastiff
January 31, 2010, 02:18 AM
I would definitely accept a free Hi-Point, no question! If it didn't work I'd just send it in to the company for the free repair.

stickhauler
January 31, 2010, 03:01 AM
I wouldn't accept a free hi-point, let alone fork out cash for one...I see that in post #51 the op mentions them in the context of comparing Glocks & Sigs, which is virtually the same as comparing a used Yugo with a Subaru Outback and a Corvette....

Harsh talk ain't it? Personally, a used Yugo competes with a Subaru Outback and a newer version Corvette, they lost their styling back in the late 60's early 70's in my opinion.

You wouldn't take one if it were given to you for free? Your choice, I guess. Mine still hits the range with me every week or so, it might not be my choice of a carry gun, but the damned thing goes bang every time I pull the trigger and the round hits where I opted to aim it. Oh, I own a Glock 22 as well, and it ain't no beauty queen either, but it works like the Hi Point does as well. I carry a XD myself, I like the grip safety and the round count of the magazine, it packs an extra over my Glock and double the Hi Point's.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My CCW instructor is an avowed Sig owner, and the firearms instructor for the local county sheriff's office, and trains their officers and the majority of smaller local PD's officers, and somehow he was able to overcome his idea that a gun had to be "pretty" to work effectively, and I'd value his opinion on any gun over a gun bigot on line, his attitude was "if it works when you need it to, it was money well spent."

Gee, guess that Inland Rack grade I just got from CMP isn't worth owning going on your opinion, she sure as hell ain't pretty right now either. But a little work with some BLO will make her look better.

Hope you take this the way it's meant, but in my opinion gun snobs opinions are worth what I paid for them, absolutely nothing.

wgaynor
January 31, 2010, 09:24 AM
In my opinion, someone that would turn down a free hipoint is probably just spouting off just to be "cool".

While you may think mine is ugly and a piece of junk, to me it's a thing of beauty...because I earned it with my hard earned money and saved up for a year so I could pay cash for it.

StarDust1
January 31, 2010, 01:06 PM
In my opinion, someone that would turn down a free hipoint is probably just spouting off just to be "cool".

While you may think mine is ugly and a piece of junk, to me it's a thing of beauty...because I earned it with my hard earned money and saved up for a year so I could pay cash for it.
I left "cool" behind when I graduated high school back in 78! Frankly, if it took you a YEAR to save for a throw-a-away gun that can be had NIB for about $110.00 it leaves me with more questions then answers.
If I were to save for a year for a specific firearm, it sure wouldn't be $110.00 throw-a-away model....

StarDust1
January 31, 2010, 01:14 PM
Harsh talk ain't it? Personally, a used Yugo competes with a Subaru Outback and a newer version Corvette, they lost their styling back in the late 60's early 70's in my opinion.

You wouldn't take one if it were given to you for free? Your choice, I guess. Mine still hits the range with me every week or so, it might not be my choice of a carry gun, but the damned thing goes bang every time I pull the trigger and the round hits where I opted to aim it. Oh, I own a Glock 22 as well, and it ain't no beauty queen either, but it works like the Hi Point does as well. I carry a XD myself, I like the grip safety and the round count of the magazine, it packs an extra over my Glock and double the Hi Point's.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My CCW instructor is an avowed Sig owner, and the firearms instructor for the local county sheriff's office, and trains their officers and the majority of smaller local PD's officers, and somehow he was able to overcome his idea that a gun had to be "pretty" to work effectively, and I'd value his opinion on any gun over a gun bigot on line, his attitude was "if it works when you need it to, it was money well spent."

Gee, guess that Inland Rack grade I just got from CMP isn't worth owning going on your opinion, she sure as hell ain't pretty right now either. But a little work with some BLO will make her look better.

Hope you take this the way it's meant, but in my opinion gun snobs opinions are worth what I paid for them, absolutely nothing.
Used Yugo's compete with what? Again with the comparison's to a Glock? Cut it out! Hi-Points are POS that are intended for the inexperienced newcomer & gangbangers, gun-snobbery indeed....

wgaynor
January 31, 2010, 01:35 PM
"I left "cool" behind when I graduated high school back in 78! Frankly, if it took you a YEAR to save for a throw-a-away gun that can be had NIB for about $110.00 it leaves me with more questions then answers.
If I were to save for a year for a specific firearm, it sure wouldn't be $110.00 throw-a-away model.... "

Let me answer your questions then my friend. I work hard for a living. This is a recession. Now you may be one of the elected elite that has all the money to spend, I don't. Shame on you for making a comment such as yours. Many people are in my situation, but for you to cast judgement on me for not having funds available such as you is low class and rude.

I make decent money. I pay child support. I pay taxes. I earn my living honestly. Now, your response leaves me with more questions than answers. who do you think you are responding to another forum member that way? Or is the gun snob in you coming out, just so you can call it a throw away gun?

Me, I'm rather proud of the lifestyle that I live. While I am not poor, I do not throw my money away and I pay cash for everything. I don't ask for handouts or bailouts. Perhaps you should go reevaluate your values, or at least your answer to my post.

PT1911
January 31, 2010, 01:44 PM
no.. simple question.. simple answer...

StarDust1
January 31, 2010, 01:48 PM
"I left "cool" behind when I graduated high school back in 78! Frankly, if it took you a YEAR to save for a throw-a-away gun that can be had NIB for about $110.00 it leaves me with more questions then answers.
If I were to save for a year for a specific firearm, it sure wouldn't be $110.00 throw-a-away model.... "

Let me answer your questions then my friend. I work hard for a living. This is a recession. Now you may be one of the elected elite that has all the money to spend, I don't. Shame on you for making a comment such as yours. Many people are in my situation, but for you to cast judgement on me for not having funds available such as you is low class and rude.

I make decent money. I pay child support. I pay taxes. I earn my living honestly. Now, your response leaves me with more questions than answers. who do you think you are responding to another forum member that way? Or is the gun snob in you coming out, just so you can call it a throw away gun?

Me, I'm rather proud of the lifestyle that I live. While I am not poor, I do not throw my money away and I pay cash for everything. I don't ask for handouts or bailouts. Perhaps you should go reevaluate your values, or at least your answer to my post.
Well lets just look at that a moment, shall we?
If you saved just $1.00 a day for an entire year, you could have bought yourself a NIB Ruger 9mm!
If you saved just $2.00 a day for an entire year you could have landed a NIB Glock-17/19/26 or a S&W M&P plus about $150.00 worth of ammunition!
If you had squirreled away just $3.00 a day for an entire year you could have landed yourself a decent garden variety M4 Carbine including about 400 rounds of ammo, or you could have latched onto a fairly decent 1911 from Kimber, SA, even Colt's!
Instead you managed .30 cents a day(nothing wrong with that if thats all you can do)and secured yourself a Hi-Point, like everything else in life, quality is simply a matter of mathematics...

Kubenzi86
January 31, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have a .45 in a basket on top of my refrigerator. They are the perfect house gun or utility pistol. Take them fishing, leave them in the car, they can take lots of abuse. If it gets damaged its no big deal, they dont cost $500. They work pretty good as far as i can tell, they're cheap because they are big, ugly, and heavy, low capacity pistols. About the opposite of a decent carry piece.

I'd get it, for 70 dollars heck yeah. I had one of the c9's years ago and i remember how little recoil i felt from it. They shoot great.

bds
January 31, 2010, 04:13 PM
I have a .45 in a basket on top of my refrigerator.:eek::what:

So if you have a home invasion robbery, "Hey, you guys hungry? Can I offer you a beverage?"

I guess I have close attachment to my loaded gun - When I am at my computer, it is next to my mouse. The loaded gun follows me everywhere I go (Anyone watched the Lethal Weapon movie with Danny Glover on the toilet? Yes, I am armed even when I am on the potter). The other unloaded guns are locked up in the safe, quietly resting.

Kubenzi86
January 31, 2010, 04:42 PM
lol, yeah its my kitchen gun. aint loaded though.

bds
January 31, 2010, 05:20 PM
Well, then you can offer, "You want bullets with that sandwich?" :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a used Hi-Point?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!