Case lube methods

PDA

blue_ridge
December 4, 2009, 12:09 PM
Which is the best way to lube cases when using a progressive press? With single stage, all I have ever used is the lube pad. Roll the case back and forth a few times and it is ready. Does the spray lube work better? Is there another method that speeds things up when using a progressive press?

If you enjoyed reading about "Case lube methods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shawn Dodson
December 4, 2009, 12:13 PM
I use an RCBS Lube die.

Depending on the situation I'll sometimes just hand apply Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

EddieNFL
December 4, 2009, 12:57 PM
I throw them in a plastic bag, spray with lube (Dillon, Midway, Red Rooster, anything but One Shot) and shake. Wait a few minutes and load.

bullseye308
December 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
Lots of folks run the brass through 2 times. Once to deprime/resize the lubed cases followed by a ride in the tumbler, then again to finish loading. Priming can be done on or off the press according to preference.

Bula
December 4, 2009, 01:31 PM
+1 on the plastic bag method. I use the big gallon size, load a few big handfulls of brass, spray 2 or 3 times with Dillon Case lube, zip, tumble the brass around for 15-20 seconds and you're good to go. BTW, I reuse that zip bag as long as I can.

Maj Dad
December 4, 2009, 01:39 PM
For pistols I use Titanium nitride sizers. My early (70s) carbide dies had small carbide rings at the base of the die and brass ran through though them had a step at the top of the web, worked o.k., but they offended my sensibilities. I use Dillon/Midway spray-on sparingly on rifle brass and it works like a champ. Put a bunch on a big cookie sheet stolen from the kitchen (deny all knowledge) and spray 4-5 times over them and roll them back & forth till they're coated. Wait a few minutes till they dry & drive on. I usually put the loaded rounds on a thin towel on the cookie sheet and spray them with Brakleen then roll them with the palm of my hand with a little pressure. That gets most off and I tumble them (with no concerns now thanks to Snuffy & rcmodel!) for 30 min - 1 hour to get it all off & have them shining like new. I don't hit the rounds heavily with the Brakleen, saturate the towel first, then squirt a little more if needed. Rubbing alcohol works too, but leaves them wet feeling (hygroscopic, I think).

snuffy
December 4, 2009, 03:05 PM
+1 on Maj dad's method, and thanks for the kudos! I use a big zip lock bowl, spray either RCBS case slick or midway spray lube then toss 'em around for a minute. Then into the 650 case feeder. After they go through the process, they get tumbled in new corncob for 20 minutes. This is for .223, .308, and 357 sig.

Spraying gets some lube inside the necks, making the expander slide through the neck much easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "Case lube methods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!