Too much play in the Lee pro Auto disk

PDA

Jeff H
December 4, 2009, 01:24 PM
This thing has been working flawlessly as I have been loading 9mm and 45ACP, but I recently switched back to 357Mag because I was running low. I was very perplexed why when I measured the charge at 14.6 grains of 2400 instead of the 15.0 that it should have been dropping. Everything was exactly the same as teh last time I used it and I couldn't figure it out. After cycling the auto disk a few times it finally hit me. For some reason, the auto disk developed enough vertical play that the disk wouldn't drop the larger charges for my 357 completely because it wouldn't open up all the way. As much as a 1/2 grain would still be in the disk every time.

After some investigation, it appears that the play is from that little AL bracket that clamps around the head of the knurled nut at the bottom of the assembly. I haven't found a real solution for this yet, since the part looks like cast AL, I don't think trying to peen the pieces closer together will work, it will probably just break. For a short term solution, I did remove that washer and one of the O rings and that allowed the auto disk to sit a little lower and open up fully, but that won't work for a long term solution.

Is there any adjustments for these things?

If you enjoyed reading about "Too much play in the Lee pro Auto disk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ants
December 4, 2009, 01:30 PM
The only adjustment is how far you screw the die into the turret, which is the adjustment for belling the case mouth. If you had it down too tight previously (perhaps trying to get more bell in the case mouth, or just accidentally screwed down too far) you probably battered the cast aluminum piece every time the ram got to top dead center. Either that or just tightened the knurled nut too hard and damaged the aluminum. I don't believe there is any other adjustment. See if Lee has a replacement part. I believe there is a Service Parts button for the Pro Auto Disk on their web site.

RVenick
December 4, 2009, 10:58 PM
How much has the temp in your area changed? I have noticed slight powder drop weight changes since it started getting colder here in N. Florida. We went from the 80's to the 50/60s. The Autodisk is a volumetric measure and temp changes can change the size (while not changing the weight).

warnerwh
December 4, 2009, 11:20 PM
If you don't push that shell up enough to get a good crimp your charges may vary by .5 grains or more, that was using Unique. It won't let you barely flare the mouth, at least mine doesn't if you want consistent powder charges.
I don't see how this device could get verticle play in it unless something that shouldn't have been happens. With vertical play you'd lose accuracy. Whatever it is needs to be replaced or repaired. The part you're referring to may be out of spec. You may want to contact Lee.

If you enjoyed reading about "Too much play in the Lee pro Auto disk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!