Craziest thing happened to me at the gun show today.

PDA

Rattle Battle
November 9, 2003, 05:38 PM
I'm walking around enjoying the atmosphere and all the weaponry when I come upon a vintage .22 pump rifle, circa 1950's. I haggle a price with the guy and he says "Sold". So I'm waiting for the paperwork, background check, etc., when out of nowhere he places a little orange sticky tag on the stock and says "This will let those at the entrance know that you paid for it already." I think to myself, okay, and walk to the entrance/exit doors. The same people who stamped my hand and took my money when I entered stopped me to make sure I wasn't stealing this little gem and when they saw the little orange sticky they said "Thank you, and have a nice day."

Did I just buy a firearm and NOT have ot fill out the yellow sheet and get a background check performed? Yes!!!

Anybody have any thoughts???

If you enjoyed reading about "Craziest thing happened to me at the gun show today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
StuporDave
November 9, 2003, 05:45 PM
If the guy you bought it from was a "regular" guy (non-FFL) who got a table at the gun show to sell some of his privately owned firearms, then it's a private sale between individuals. The paperwork and background check isn't required.

If the guy was a licensed dealer, there's a big problem there.

Dave

edit: should've at least given you some kind of receipt/bill of sale.

Psssniper
November 9, 2003, 05:47 PM
Sounds like the "dealer" gave you the "secret" dealer sticker so that the gun show organizers checking at the door would think that you were an FFL holder, which I must assume you are not, and let you out the door with the gun. The rules could vary by state and such and it's only my opinion so take it for whats it's worth.

Lone_Gunman
November 9, 2003, 05:59 PM
That secret dealer sticker must be very secret. I've never heard of it.

Even if you have an FFL you still have to maintain paperwork to show you transferred the gun to another FFL.

This guy must have been just a regular guy (not a private dealer, as there is no such thing) trying to sell a personal firearm to you.

Rattle Battle
November 9, 2003, 06:05 PM
UPDATE: I forgot to mention in the original post - It was a cash deal and no receipt was given.

I'm not complaining mind you (actually I wish all sales were like this), but it just seemed strange that something like that would happen at a regular gun show. Oh well, I now own another firearm with no record of it being in my possesion. :D

admar2
November 9, 2003, 06:10 PM
its called a private sale.

which is perfectly legal in some states

what state you in?

zpo
November 9, 2003, 08:20 PM
private sale- no paperwork

sticker- proof you paid and did not grab off of table and walked out.

Dave R
November 9, 2003, 08:27 PM
Sounds to me like a private sale, too.

If you check the wants ads for a firearm for sale, and buy it from a private individual, you do not need the 4473 (in some states.)

Thumper
November 9, 2003, 09:18 PM
No FFL dealer would ever do something like that in today's climate. You simply bought your rifle from some guy who paid for a table...same thing legally as buying from your next door neighbor or from an ad in the paper.

BTW, welcome to THR.

TarpleyG
November 9, 2003, 09:25 PM
AKA "gunshow loophole" that the antis are always screaming about.

GT

Wayne D
November 9, 2003, 09:31 PM
I buy the majority of my guns at gun shows and I have never had to show anyone at the door my receipt or orange stickers or anything else as I leave. I just walk out the door with my stuff and no one has said a word. I have never seen anyone checked on the way out.

JohnKSa
November 9, 2003, 10:40 PM
Did he charge you sales tax?

If not, it was almost certainly a private sale. Individual to individual, no dealer involved.

If he charged you sales tax, then he should have also had you fill out the paperwork.

I bought a Ruger GP100 from a guy selling books at a gunshow awhile back. It was pretty easy to tell he wasn't a dealer. No other guns at his table.

Kinsman
November 10, 2003, 11:28 AM
Troll.

Balog
November 10, 2003, 12:26 PM
Uhhhh, how exactly is this trolling?

George Hill
November 10, 2003, 12:35 PM
It's not trolling... it's a private sale.

Daniel T
November 10, 2003, 06:26 PM
It could be a troll. Only two posts, no response to what state he lives in...

Matthew Courtney
November 10, 2003, 06:59 PM
I was thinking troll, too. It's almost like he's trying to prove that a gunshow loophole exists.

Rattle Battle
November 10, 2003, 08:41 PM
Troll? LMFAO! I don't live in here 24/7/365 like a lot of you do, okay? I have a life outside of gun forums. Hence, me not responding to the question of where I'm from the same night I ask post a thread.

So take all your conspiracy theories about me "Exposing loopholes, "breaking the law", "Trolling", etc., and stick 'em where the sun doesn't shine. Man, are you morons always this paranoid about a guy joining a gun forum and asking a legitimate question? Sounds like you need to take the Red Pill. Or would that be the Blue Pill?

By the way, I'm from Colorado. :D

Matthew Courtney
November 10, 2003, 09:28 PM
Your post alluded that you believed that perhaps there were legal issues with the transaction. Without knowing your state of residence, informed discussion was impossible. Folks often pose such situations or questions in efforts to promote argument. I guess that is because avoiding informed discussion while raising controversial subjects is one of the best ways to start a fight.

There is nothing crazy about folk's being able to buy guns without jumping through hoops. It's called freedom. Please watch your language, this is a family forum.

cracked butt
November 10, 2003, 09:48 PM
Where I'm at, for private sales there is no paperwork, receipts, or funny orange stickers. :D

Rattle Battle
November 10, 2003, 10:01 PM
Hey Matthew -- BITE ME!

Matthew Courtney
November 10, 2003, 10:17 PM
Smart, witty, and obviously not spoiling for a fight. Did I mention eloquent?

Sisco
November 10, 2003, 10:22 PM
The club I belong to does the same thing at our annual gun show. All incoming guns are of course checked and made safe, plastic cable tie attached so that the gun cannot be loaded / fired without removing it.

All sellers, doesn't matter if they are dealers or private sales place a colored cable tie on the weapon after the sale. Two day show, two different colors.

Reason: Theft prevention!
Anyone who's been to a show has got to realize how easy it would be to pick a gun up off the table while the seller was distracted and disappear into the crowd. All guns going out are checked for the color of the day.
Since starting this policy three or four years ago, vendors claim it has cut down on their loss rate. Of course it's not going to stop a determined thief, handguns are easily concealed and can slip past the people at the door.

Justin
November 10, 2003, 10:31 PM
Guys, keep it civil.
:scrutiny:

ENC
November 10, 2003, 11:01 PM
At the big show in Tulsa that is the same procedure. Only the stickers are yellow.

The trick is as soon as the price is agreed on you have to tell them to put the sticker on the recoil pad or the cap on the end. Those stickers can leave a spot on a wood finish in nothing flat. This wouldn't matter on a sythetic stock, but who would want that anyway :neener:

Greybeard
November 10, 2003, 11:07 PM
Agree with Sisco. I've worked the entrance door/tie table at a show in Mesquite (Big Town) earlier this year. And yes, color-coded ties are used for the reasons stated.

I've been too busy lately to work another one, but buddy from tie table told me after recent show that he was checking an incoming .38 that already had a clear colored tie around hammer. The owner said he did not see why it needed to be re-tied. My friend explained the color-code thing and that it had to be done if he wanted to get back out the door with the gun later. Buddy cut off the old tie and opened the action to double check, with intent of installing tie with color-of-the-day. In one of the chambers: one live round. :fire: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Craziest thing happened to me at the gun show today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!