New Smith and Wesson 1911 PD

PDA

MannytheGreek
December 6, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hey all,

Posted this on the 1911 forum as well, but Id appreciate your inputH. It is a stainless steel 5 inch S&W 1911 PD. It is completely stock. I purchased this firearm to be a carry pistol. I live in a colder climate and thus a larger pistol is easily concealable. I have a few long guns, and am glad to add a 1911 to my collection. I have a few questions however. This is my first 1911, and I know this platform is more sensitive than the other pistols I am used to

I typically use self defense ammo when I practice. Figure 100 rounds/month. 70 FMJ practice ammo and 30 +p self defense ammo

1.) Will I have to change springs to use full power practice and self defense ammo from the stock springs?I would probably be carrying factory defensive ammo (230 gr 920-950 fps). I was wondering if reliability could be adversely using the standard springs, or if they just cause the case to be ejected further away.

2.) Are XS big dot sights available for the 1911 PD?

3.) What other modifications do you recommend at this time for total reliability?

-Manny

If you enjoyed reading about "New Smith and Wesson 1911 PD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bestseller92
December 6, 2009, 02:29 PM
I'd think the standard springs should work fine, no changing necessary. I've heard that the old Gold Cups had lighter than normal recoil springs, but the Smiths should be fine with any load.

Pappy109
December 6, 2009, 03:34 PM
Total reliability is a S&W auto loader has yet to be achieved. Every police agency using them got rid of them and went to Glocks as far as I know. They do make good small boat anchors though.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "New Smith and Wesson 1911 PD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!