What Powder for 9mm with low flash?

PDA

Dave R
November 9, 2003, 08:44 PM
Just loaded up my first batch of 9mm. Used Unique powder. I'm pleased with the results EXCEPT for flash. Unique has a lot of it. Woulda made some great photos.

Can any body recommend a powder for 9mm that has less flash?

If you enjoyed reading about "What Powder for 9mm with low flash?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Snowman
November 9, 2003, 09:10 PM
I like Hodgdon Universal in my .40 loads because of the low flash, good velocity for the pressure, and clean burning (my .40 is ported and you KNOW if you have a high-flash powder).

I don't really have a lot of experiance with other small capacity pistol powders. Every time I stray from Universal I find myself coming back.

Mikul
November 10, 2003, 01:05 AM
I use Winchester Super-field with good results out of a 3.5inch barrel (4.5gr under a 125gr LRN).

It has been a while since I used it, but I remember Titegroup being very low flash and quite clean burning.

Navy joe
November 10, 2003, 01:10 AM
Also very barrel length and bullet dependent. I've been using Titegroup and it has some flash with 115s, just enough to let me know I didn't blink when the trigger broke. I stuffed up some Hs-6 today and tried them, again pushing a 115 with 6.3 grain there was some flash, but with 4.2 under a 147 I could detect none. Barrel is 4.75".

HSMITH
November 10, 2003, 09:59 AM
Universal has a almost NO flash. Works well too. It is my staple powder for 40. It is essentially a perfected version of Unique IMO with almost identical burn rates, burns clean, meters well, and no flash. No bench is complete without Universal if loading pistol calibers.

Super Field has a hair more flash (just a tiny flash) and is a really good choice for 9mm, some of the most accurate loads I have ever loaded for 9mm have been with WSF. Definately give it a try, it works great in 40, 45, 38 and 357 if you don't like it in 9mm.

If you don't need more than medium velocities with the lighter (115) bullets try some Clays, regular version. 3.8 will get you about 1050 with 115's and there is no flash and super clean. The charge weight is also VERY economical. It is my staple powder for 9mm target loads.

Power Pistol is probably the best powder out there for 9mm but it has LOTS of flash, makes for some fun ammo though.

WESHOOT2
November 12, 2003, 06:55 AM
3N37, WAP, Silhouette.

Still gotta test, though.

Tree Rat
November 12, 2003, 08:03 AM
3N37 while it exhibits minimal flash, is not the most efficient V V powder for 9X19, especially in barrels shorter than 4".

I'd go with N340 for best velocity, minimum flash, and low SD's.
It is what I use to duplicate factory 115 JHP defense loads and the speed is perfect for 4" guns like a Glock 19.

I like Titegroup for moderate velocity target....

TR

FireInTheHole
November 12, 2003, 11:51 AM
3N37~powerpistol grade w/out the flash.

Clark
November 12, 2003, 08:38 PM
For pistols I have:
Red Dot, Bullseye, Herter's 164, SR7625, Unique, AA#5, Power Pistol,
HS-6, Blue Dot, 2400, 3N37, 800-X, AA#7, N105, Long Shot, STEEL,
Enforcer, AA#9, N110, H110, W296, and LIL'GUN.

The one that comes to mind a no flash is 3N37.

The bright flashes I remember were with Blue Dot, Power Pistol, H110, and LIL'GUN.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Powder for 9mm with low flash?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!