FTF gun transaction...

PDA

Grassman
December 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
I am planning to sell a 9MM from the classified ads. First time I've ever done this. What is the protocol? What should I be worried about? Should I ask for ID?

If you enjoyed reading about "FTF gun transaction..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ruger700
December 7, 2009, 01:14 PM
Did you complete a 4473 when you purchased the 9mm. If so, obtain a copy of the Drivers License, or record the information is a Bill of Sale.

Otherwise, just be sure the purchaser has a valid Texas driver's license.

Grassman
December 7, 2009, 01:17 PM
I won't be able to make a copy of his ID, should I just write down all of his info, and write up a bill of sale with his signature?

NavyLCDR
December 7, 2009, 01:18 PM
This is what I do. Ask for ID to show state residency and age (18 years old or older). Look for signs of a prohibited person - if the look OK/sound reasonable to me, that's all I do. If you don't like the way they look/talk, you have no obligation to sell to them.

Sign a two part bill of sale. Part 1 is theirs and will say that they purchased make/model/serial number of gun on date from me and that I have received $XXX. I sign that one and give to them as a receipt for their money.

They sign part two stating that they purchased make/model/serial number gun from me on date and that they have received described gun. I keep that one as a receipt for my gun.

That's it, for me. I don't believe in requiring a CPL (or CCW license, whatever in Texas) and I don't believe in copying or recording any of the ID information. If I wanted to do all that in a private sale, I would go to an FFL in the first place.

Ryder
December 7, 2009, 01:31 PM
I do receipts too. That way the new owner has proof of ownership and I have proof of sale.

I meet prospective buyers somewhere to conduct the transaction. Don't like strangers looking around in my house.

Grassman
December 7, 2009, 01:33 PM
I am typing up a bill of sale with a blank for his signature and DL#. The form will have his name, my name, the serial number and date. I guess that's about all I can do.

Grassman
December 7, 2009, 01:35 PM
I might even take a picture of his license plate with my camera phone. Can't be too careful.

medalguy
December 7, 2009, 01:41 PM
I agree with Navylt. All you need to do is show who it was sold to and the date just in case there's a problem involving the gun at a later date. A signature is a very good idea. You are not required to obtain, and I do not let people copy, my DL or CCW permit info. As long as you reasonably believe the buyer is entitled to purchase the firearm, you are OK. You are not a dealer and a 4473 and/or related information is not required. At any rate, a firearms purchaser is not required to have a DL or a CCW!

wgsigs
December 7, 2009, 04:37 PM
From what I've read on a Texas gun forum there are a lot of legitimate Texas gun owners who strongly don't want you writing down their DL#, much less photocopying or photographing their license. They feel just showing your DL to verify residence is all the seller needs. Just another point of view and a heads up in case your buyer turns out to be one who feels that way.

Grassman
December 7, 2009, 04:40 PM
I got no problem with that. But if he refuses to show a DL, then that might queer the deal for me. I just want a bill of sale with his signature.

If you enjoyed reading about "FTF gun transaction..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!