Dang, these Koreans were shooting at will !

PDA

nathan
December 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe they are just scaring off would be looters or really shooting to kill. Its hard to tell. Looks like Beretta 92 and Glock 17 in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VmExQq2gWs

If you enjoyed reading about "Dang, these Koreans were shooting at will !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quiet
December 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
FYI.
All of those Korean store owners, that were shooting at the looters during the LA Riots, were never charged with any crimes because it was all justifiable.

nathan
December 7, 2009, 01:57 PM
If i was one of the storeowner , i would have done what i could to defend my property and life as well. The video of street beatings , random attacks , lootings and burning were too much. Its amazing the LA Police were not able to control the situation during the initial days. And a riot in the modern 1990s was unexpected to say the least in a modern American city such as LA. If it could happened 20 yrs ago, it could happen again today no doubt if the right ingredients plays in.

gatorjames85
December 7, 2009, 02:09 PM
When people ask why I need a high-cap rifle (like I should even have to justify myself, but I try to be a good ambassador), I say see the LA Riots and Hurricane Katrina.

Cosmoline
December 7, 2009, 02:16 PM
Most of those are "warning shots" to keep groups of looters at bay. Not generally recommended, but then again all the usual rules are right out the window when something like this happens. The owners wanted to ward off rioters but at the same time didn't want dozens of bodies piled up around the storefront.

KBintheSLC
December 7, 2009, 02:26 PM
Great video... and good for them for standing their ground. In that situation, I would prefer to have my 870 full of 00 buck though.

nathan
December 7, 2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.kang.org/LARiot.html

http://racerelations.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csmonitor.com%2F2002%2F0429%2Fp01s07-ussc.html

M2 Carbine
December 7, 2009, 03:41 PM
Its amazing the LA Police were not able to control the situation during the initial days.
Much of what went on at that time was not reported or the reports were slanted for "political correctness".

There was a video played a lot on TV of a rioter being shot as he ran away. The news reported that the man was just trying to run a road block with stolen TV sets and his girlfriend was killed in the car crash at the roadblock.

A couple years later when instructing at the Army's helicopter flight school I just happened to have the shooter for a student. He told me what really happened.
First off the man and woman weren't trying to get out past the road block with TV's, they were trying to get in with a car load of guns for the rioters.
The driver tried to run down the Sergeant in charge of the road block. The shooter was on a Jeep with a 30 Browning. He said, No way was that ****** going to get away after trying to kill the Sergeant, so he opened up on the car.
The woman was shot, not killed in the crash.
When the man ran he was also hit by the Browning.
The shooter told me he lost a stripe for shooting that criminal but it was a good trade and he would do it again. Shooting the woman was considered an "accident".

Now there was a TV crew right there, that's how they got the video, and they knew exactly what happened, but when it was shown on TV the story was that poor man was shot and his girlfriend killed just for stealing TV's.:mad:

Later during the riots in Maryland I was a National Guard Warrant Officer pilot.
I was told that they were short of (ground) junior officers and I was to command a platoon of NG at the riots.
I said, "OK. Can I carry my own 45 or do I have to use an issued pistol and how much Carbine and M1 ammo should I draw?"
I was told, "Oh No. No one is allowed to have ammo, just bayonets".

I said, "No way am I ordering anyone into a riot with empty weapons. If need be I'll bring the ammo from home".

There was a little talk about a court marshal and a little talk about talking to the TV stations about endangering the lives of those men.

It was decided that I wasn't needed as a Platoon Leader after all.
So I said, "I'm checking out a helicopter. I think I'll go check out the riot".

My CO grounded me for the duration of the riots.:D

My Police friends told me that they were ordered to empty their guns during the duration of the riots.

Of course none of this stuff ever made the news.:fire:

nathan
December 7, 2009, 04:03 PM
Its astounding how mob psychology works. From an incident of white cops beating a black guy to burning and looting of Asian stores. It just doesnt match .
The flow of mob anger were channeled to the more benign looking Korean shops. But as what happened the Koreans took up the fight . This was 2nd Amendment at its best !

Atroxus
December 7, 2009, 04:29 PM
Empty guns during a riot seems ridiculous to me. Either our LEOs can be trusted with loaded weapons, or they can't be trusted with any weapons. IMHO any LEOs that can't be trusted with a weapon should not be LEOs and anyone not capable of distinguising who can/cannot be trusted with a weapon should not be commanding LEOs.

nhm16
December 7, 2009, 04:34 PM
In a perverse way, the Koreans were resented because they were the only ones with the temerity to open stores serving those neighborhoods.

cbrgator
December 7, 2009, 04:36 PM
Empty guns during a riot seems ridiculous to me. Either our LEOs can be trusted with loaded weapons, or they can't be trusted with any weapons. IMHO any LEOs that can't be trusted with a weapon should not be LEOs and anyone not capable of distinguising who can/cannot be trusted with a weapon should not be commanding LEOs.
It follows the same logic as no guns on military bases.

In regards to the LA Riots, we all know police can't be there to protect us all the time. I'd say even less than some of the time can they be there to help. We, as much as the Koreans, have a right to defend life. Period.

M2 Carbine
December 7, 2009, 05:03 PM
It's simply politics.
To the hard core politician, Policeman's (soldiers, etc) lives mean little when weighed against the loss of a large block of voters.
Todays mob of rioters and looters are tomorrows voter.

It was well known, at that time, before the Maryland riots, the then Maryland Governor and later disgraced US Vice President, Spiro Agnew used taxpayer money to pay off the leaders of the Black community to prevent any riots.
Agnew was really ticked off, because after paying the money the riots still went off as scheduled.

The Maryland politicians were "honest" criminals and weren't use to criminals that didn't play the game.:D

M2 Carbine
December 7, 2009, 05:33 PM
The Police mostly did what they could but their hands were tied.

True story.
I had been a Baltimore Policeman but at the time of the Baltimore riots I had already moved to Texas.

My Mother worked in a drug store at the time of the Baltimore riots.
She and a couple other ladies were told by the boss to keep the store open.

Two young Policeman came in and asked my mother what the heck they were doing there, the riot was only a few blocks away. Close up the store and go home.
My mother told them the owner told her to keep the store open, so she had to do it.

The Policemen couldn't convince her to close the store.
One asked her if there was a gun in the store?
She said, Yes, Doc (the owner) has a 38 in the back.
The Policeman asked if any of you ladies knows how to shoot?
My mother said, Yes, my son taught me how to shoot a 38 last Summer.

The Policeman told her,
You get that gun out here. Don't you let any of those rioters through that door. Shoot them if they try. You shoot one the rest will run. Then you call me (he gave her his card). No matter what, tell whoever answers that you have to talk directly to me and tell them NOTHING ELSE except you have to see me personally. I'll leave word that if you call, to get the message to me.
I'll take care of it. As far as you are concerned it never happened.

It was lucky the riot never got that far.

When my mother told me what happened I read her the riot act for not going home.
But I was secretly proud of her for taking that gun and standing up for herself.;)

EddieNFL
December 7, 2009, 06:03 PM
You shoot one the rest will run.

They seem to be brave...until the odds are evened.

Quiet
December 8, 2009, 09:47 AM
Interesting note on CA law.

Penal Code 197
Homicide is also justifiable when committed by any person in any of the following cases:
1. When resisting any attempt to murder any person, or to commit a felony, or to do some great bodily injury upon any person; or,
2. When committed in defense of habitation, property, or person, against one who manifestly intends or endeavors, by violence or surprise, to commit a felony, or against one who manifestly intends and endeavors, in a violent, riotous or tumultuous manner, to enter the habitation of another for the purpose of offering violence to any person therein; or,
3. When committed in the lawful defense of such person, or of a wife or husband, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant of such person, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony or to do some great bodily injury, and imminent danger of such design being accomplished; but such person, or the person in whose behalf the defense was made, if he was the assailant or engaged in mutual combat, must really and in good faith have endeavored to decline any further struggle before the homicide was committed; or,
4. When necessarily committed in attempting, by lawful ways and means, to apprehend any person for any felony committed, or in lawfully suppressing any riot, or in lawfully keeping and preserving the peace.

SSN Vet
December 9, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi cap carbines....

pile em up like cord wood

Big Bill
December 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
Dang, these Koreans were shooting at will !I looked for Will in all the videos and didn't see him once?

gatorjames85
December 9, 2009, 11:03 PM
in lawfully suppressing any riot, or in lawfully keeping and preserving the peace.

Anyone care to find out firsthand how a southern California court would interpret this?:D

jaysouth
December 10, 2009, 09:27 AM
Seems kind of sad that the only folks exhibiting any sense of good old American self reliance and common sense were Korean immigrants.

SlamFire1
December 10, 2009, 10:01 AM
Either our LEOs can be trusted with loaded weapons, or they can't be trusted with any weapons.

Does anyone remember the National turmoil that happened after unarmed college kids were shot at Kent State?

If a riot is happening in your area, get the heck out of there. Don't go visit the riot, stay away. I was in LA during the riots. Two white guys got on their motorcycles just to see the riots. They were pulled off their motorcycles and killed. At least 80 people were murdered over the weekend.

lloveless
December 10, 2009, 06:13 PM
JaySouth,
As a fellow Tennessean working in So Cal, I am here to tell you common sense is gone when it comes to the ruling class here. A lot of good people here, but unable to turn the tide politically. Right now they can open carry an UNLOADED weapon with the ammo also open carried. They lose this right in 2010. The Politico's don't have to put up with the criminal element. I have been told it is too dangerous to ride my bicycle to work!
ll

rogertc1
December 10, 2009, 06:49 PM
All in all if you are a minority dark of skin and not white you can get away with anything. Kinda like the murders in Colorado of whites only by blacks going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufsAfYUfJA&feature=player_embedded
http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2009/12/black_gangs_ven.php

NMGonzo
December 10, 2009, 06:52 PM
All in all if you are a minority dark of skin and not white you can get away with anything. Kinda like the murders in Colorado of whites only by blacks going on.
Quoted for posterity.

kidrice
December 10, 2009, 08:18 PM
I was born and raised in LA and here during the LA Riots. Many people questioned if the Korean business owners had any experience or training with the guns. I'm not saying that each of those Korean business owners were marksmen, but in Korea back then and still today, you must serve in the Korean military once you turn 18 years old.

On a side note, I noticed that I joined exactly one year ago.

Hammerhead6814
December 10, 2009, 08:53 PM
The LA Riots were one hell of an ugly time. It doesn't matter which side of Rodney King's trial you were on, those riots were bad for everyone.

These store owners had the right to do what they did. Even if they had insurance I'll guarantee you it wouldn't have covered what transpired. Insurance companies have this knack of dropping coverage right before or during an event that would cost them money. Given those circumstances, if anyone would hold ill what those store owners did, it would be misguided of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dang, these Koreans were shooting at will !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!