Do you buy most of your guns new or used?

PDA

hometheaterman
December 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
Just wondering what most of you guys feel about used guns vs new ones. In general I do not at all like used stuff. I've tried buying quite a few things used and almost always feel ripped off. I usually get decent deals but then I usually have it break or something happen to it shortly after I get it. I just don't have luck with used stuff. Yet when it comes to guns so many seem to be used out there and there are so many I like that they no longer make.

I've had decent experiences with used guns but it's about the only used thing I've had a decent experience with.

What about you guys? Do you usually buy used or new? If used do you usually feel you get a good deal out of it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you buy most of your guns new or used?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22-rimfire
December 9, 2009, 12:42 AM
I tend to buy new or as-new guns. It is pretty tough to buy a new Remington 541-S, 513-T, Model 37 or Winchester 52 new. So if you want these kinds of guns or any gun not currrently made, you need to use your expereince to make as good a choice as you can. I have not had a problem with any used gun purchase other than years ago when I didn't know much buying a Colt Woodsman that was re-blued and not recognizing it as such or another Colt that turned out to be a jamamatic. But all companies make products that are just "quite" right when they leave the factory from time to time.

I tend not to look back on what I paid on a used firearm. If I paid $20 too much, I don't worry about it for long. But I do my homework as best I can and use my instincts on things that I don't have a good sense of price/value. All I ask for are Fair prices, not necessarily good deals unless I simply don't want a gun and buying it to do someone a favor who needs some money. Then I buy at prices that allow me to re-sell it down the road which is pretty much dealer pricing at about 50 to 60% of market.

codybrown
December 9, 2009, 12:55 AM
I'm a fan of both new and used firearms. You can pick up a used rifle in like new condition for quite a bit less than new price if you search for it. I have bought quite a few of both, but a great deal on a lightly used firearm just takes a little patience.

John Wayne
December 9, 2009, 01:02 AM
A mix of both.

Sometimes people want more for used guns than new ones cost ($550 Glock 22, for example). Other times, they can be an excellent savings (my model 10-7 for $189).

In other cases, the prices are comparable but the model I want isn't being made any more (my Ruger Mk. II for $299).

I'm not opposed to either; just depends on the situation.

chris in va
December 9, 2009, 01:03 AM
I mostly buy used guns. Can't justify spending $850 on a new Sig when I can get a perfectly good one for $450. Provided you inspect it properly, used is the way to go IMO.

PT1911
December 9, 2009, 01:04 AM
I buy on opportunity.. new or used is rarely of any importance.

lechiffre
December 9, 2009, 01:13 AM
used

there are few currently manufactured handguns that i am interested in.

the last time a bought a new handgun was in the 20th century.

owlhoot
December 9, 2009, 02:12 AM
I think I probably have more guns that I have purchased used than purchased new. I prefer to buy used. I have a wide circle of friends and acquaintances and almost every one of them is a gun guy. We tend to buy from each other. So I can borrow the gun and shoot it before I buy or else get a very honest appraisal of the gun and any fault it might have from the owner. Over the years I have bought at least a hundred used guns and I've never had a problem with any of them. I have had problems with new guns.

Wingnut13
December 9, 2009, 02:23 AM
Even if it's new when I get it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours before its "used" anyways. Opportunity and price, Haven't had a problem yet with a used firearm.

GRAYRID3R
December 9, 2009, 02:34 AM
I buy mostly new handguns, but mil surplus rifles. I like to wonder what the Garand or the Mosin did during their past lives.

sheepdog
December 9, 2009, 04:07 AM
...being an old fart, I like the features and design of the old ones better...no extra holes, decockers, etc...

Dr.Rob
December 9, 2009, 04:22 AM
Both. I probably have more used than new purchases. Just depends on what I'm looking for.

evan price
December 9, 2009, 04:29 AM
Used. I like cosmetically-challenged but mechanically intact. Get good deals on ugly guns that shoot good. That way I don't care if I shoot the heck out of them and don't spoil a 99% condition rare museum piece.

If it needs work, I fix 'em. I learned Colt revolvers by picking up a cheap one with problems and taking it apart.

DRYHUMOR
December 9, 2009, 06:17 AM
I prefer the term "pre owned".:D

woad_yurt
December 9, 2009, 06:40 AM
I'm a used-gun guy. I like the extra TLC they used back when. The only new thing I'm sort of interested in would be the new 30 round .22 WMR pistol from Kel-Tec. That is, if it works well. It seems like a good idea, though.

content
December 9, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // I have both

Used:
For me it depends on condition. I always carry a flashlight, feelergauge and small magnifer. I've seen alot of used double barreled shotguns with fractures in the hinge area for instance.
Next would be price and how much I want it.

New:
Its all about the deal, rebates on sale items seem to win me over.

GREYRID3R I wonder about the history of my Mosin also, it has some interesting battle scars. (I asssume);)

45Badger
December 9, 2009, 07:21 AM
I buy on opportunity.. new or used is rarely of any importance.

This fits nicely. I mostly buy used, but sometimes the shiny new toy comes home.

Sav .250
December 9, 2009, 08:34 AM
I go to a lot of Gun Shows mostly to look around but I do have some money set aside for that, "there`s what I`ve been looking for" rifle.
Haven`t bought "new" in awhile as I don`t think there up to par with the old ones. Course, condition is everything in a used weapon of any kind. Plus, you get to barter about price when you zero in on a piece. Win some,lose some. :)

22-rimfire
December 9, 2009, 10:45 AM
I tend to rely on the 80-90% numbers posted in the most recent Blue Book when I am either buying or selling. I don't expect top dollar unless it is a museum piece when I sell.

MMCSRET
December 9, 2009, 10:49 AM
I buy used, there are very few new production items that hold any interest for me.

The Tomcat
December 9, 2009, 11:02 AM
opportunity buyer, though most of my purchases are used. a friend told me once that it was unwise to purchase used that you saved money by not having to spend money once the purchase is made. i can tell you that the gunsmith we use is happier with his purchases than mine! and i shoot a hell of alot more than he does.

Tinpig
December 9, 2009, 11:12 AM
Always used, usually pre-1960.

Tinpig

Tommygunn
December 9, 2009, 11:34 AM
Mixed.
If it's something on the market now, I prefer new. But OTOH there are guns I have that are second hand as well. Back in 1994 I lucked into a Browning B-92 in .44 magnum. Used, in good condition; couldn't pass that up!
Also, I bought a old Smith & Wesson revolver that was made in 1869. They just are NOT made anymore; ya want one, it's GONNA be used!:D
The first modern revolver I bought was a used Colt Official Police in .38SP. It was in good condition; finances at the time made that purchase more attractive than buying a new revolver. Most other guns I would now consider buying for SD are new. Yeah new guns can malfunction -- but they do have a manufacturer's warrantee.
So really, the answer is: It Depends .......:)

SaxonPig
December 9, 2009, 11:35 AM
As a youngster in the 1960s and 1970s I bought a lot of new guns, maybe 50% of my first 100 purchases were brand new. But as guns got more cheaply made in the late 1970s and 1980s and beyond I became increasingly disinterested in the new products. I think of the 200 or so guns I have bought in the past 20 years only 5 or 6 were new.

mcdonl
December 9, 2009, 12:02 PM
Whatever I can afford. I am an oddball, if I have $300 I go looking for a gun in that price range, if one strikes my fancy I buy it. I could care less about any given brand, style or caliber.

Magic_Man
December 9, 2009, 12:03 PM
I always look for used 1st, but rarely find a deal I'd be happy with so most of mine have been bought new.

NMGonzo
December 9, 2009, 12:03 PM
They make guns new?

I did not know!

Legionnaire
December 9, 2009, 12:09 PM
I buy on opportunity.. new or used is rarely of any importance. Ditto. The balance, however, definitely favors used.

Balog
December 9, 2009, 12:38 PM
I've purchased one new gun in my life, and have since come to regret it.

earlthegoat2
December 9, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have ever only bought one new firearm and I sold it less than a year later.

Ala Dan
December 9, 2009, 01:06 PM
I do both, new and used~! :scrutiny: ;)

WoofersInc
December 9, 2009, 01:53 PM
For me it is mostly new. However some like the Mosin, PSL, and such are of course going to be used surplus.

orvpark
December 9, 2009, 01:56 PM
I too and am opportunist. Trading, buying, selling is half the fun for me. I like shooting new stuff and don't have the wallet to buy a gun every two weeks. I can trade off those I have lost interest in and get something new (to me) and give it a whirl. I have a dozen that I wouldn't part with (unless the price was RIGHT!), but most are open for trade.

HexHead
December 9, 2009, 02:38 PM
About 30% of my handguns now I got used, but they're mostly stuff not made any longer. I tend to buy new guns now that most of the manufacturers are offering lifetime warranties to the original purchaser.
My long guns are 50% used, but they're both mil-spec.

Ester IX:XVI
December 9, 2009, 02:44 PM
I'v never bought a new gun. I enjoy finding a solid used gun that needs cleaning up. I haven't came across a great deal (finding one in an old house or an old lady that "just wants rid of it") but i'v never lost money. Actuall it's not about the money i just enjoy it.

Lakeshore
December 9, 2009, 03:00 PM
Roughly a 50-50 mix. I've picked up several nice previously owned semi-autos over the past year that were sold on consignment.

Worst experience to date with a used gun was a shoddy finish on a re-arsenaled TT-33 that floated off the first time I cleaned it - gave me a good excuse to Cerama-Coat it.

silverking
December 9, 2009, 03:30 PM
I started out buying new, but the last six purchases have been well maintained used tools.

makarovnik
December 9, 2009, 03:33 PM
I typically only buy used if it's a surplus military weapon or from someone I know or a Hi-Point with forever warranty.

We have a great gun/pawn shop here called DJ's. They will guarantee any used gun they sell for about 90 days or so. If there is a problem they will fix it or exchange it for something else.

Once I thought about buying a Hi-Point new for $110 but everyone said "for about the same price you can get a good used gun like a PA-63".

I bought the PA-63 and it was a piece of crap. It looked very nice but had trouble feeding even one mag of FMJ round nose. The recoil was also nasty even after a new slightly heavier recoil spring was installed.

I could never get that gun to be reliable so I exchanged it for a Hi-Point C9 and am much happier with it. Buying a used Hi-Point is a no brainer because the warranty is so good.

It really depends what deals are available.

RP88
December 9, 2009, 03:34 PM
I buy my modern guns used, but wouldn't mind buying used if it looked in great shape or was like-new.

But, since the majority of my collection is made of milsurp variety, I'd say that buying used is not too big of a deal to me.

wyohome
December 9, 2009, 03:42 PM
I buy used. I like the better workmanship, nicer wood, and lack of silly warnings stamped on them. I fully understand that a 357 magnum can cause personal injury.

frankiestoys
December 9, 2009, 03:49 PM
A mix of both, if it's a better brand i don't mind buying a used gun but most of my toys are new.

jn1965
December 9, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have only bought used guns. I cannot justify the cost of a new one, plus the ones I like are all over 50 years old (the 10/22 being the exception)

XavierBreath
December 9, 2009, 09:52 PM
I tend to buy used guns. There are several reasons, in no particular order.

First is the economic benefit. They cost less.

Used guns have wear patterns on them that let you know how the gun is performing.

New guns tend to have locks on them, and other gee gaws that are of little use to me.

You can test fire used guns, checking them for accuracy as well as function.

There is not often stuff in the new gun counter that thrills me anymore. Owning and shooting the latest X33 mega-blaster does nothing for me.

I enjoy dropping off used pistols at Clark Custom and picking up one of a kind customs six months later.

I never have to worry about putting the first scar on the gun. I own a few pristine Smiths, but I rarely shoot them because of this. Holster and carry wear? Give me a gun that another man has eaten the depreciation on.

I still occasionally buy new guns, but not nearly as frequently as used ones. A few years ago, I wrote an article concerning purchasing used 1911s (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/10/checking-used-1911-with-purchase-in.html). The advice holds true for most guns. Assuming I know about the type of gun I'm buying, I actually feel more secure purchasing used, I get a better price, and I get a gun that I'm certain I want because I have shot it.

I prefer the term "pre owned".
I call it "work hardened."

f4t9r
December 9, 2009, 10:00 PM
Most are new, no problem buying used.

Onward Allusion
December 9, 2009, 10:19 PM
I mostly buy used. Almost all my pistols and revolvers are former law enforcement or security agency firearms. I'd learned through a good friend who happened to be a LEO, that they are rarely shot and usually only during qualifications. Most of the wear is holster related, but I generally purchase stainless, so the wear hardly shows.

My 22 plinkers are also almost all used 'cause the good ones will last a couple of lifetimes and I just can't see plopping down $300 to $400 for a Taurus or $400 to $600 for a Ruger or S&W for plinking. I guess if I shot competitively, it would be a different story.

The only firearms that I must buy new are AKs because so many folks abuse the heck out of them.

hometheaterman (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=91330)
Do you buy most of your guns new or used?
<SNIP>

Hold My Own
December 9, 2009, 10:32 PM
I wish I could buy new guns, but I'm a "used" man as bad as that sounds. :neener:

When I get my first carry rifle, I might stray from the norm' and get a new firearm.. Unless I find a good deal on one.

How I see it, if you inspect it a gun and there's no problems then why not? It's broken it for you :D

Tamlin
December 9, 2009, 10:34 PM
I have bought one new handgun, and one new rifle. All the rest of my guns have been purchased used. All of the used guns I have bought have been in excellent shape. Buying used allows me to buy MORE :D , but I will buy new if I can't find what I want in used.

rogertc1
December 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
I buy guns cause I want them all. Used or new. I like unusual, unique and historic firearms. Thus I have so many and never sell any just keep adding. 3 to 4 a month as a matter of fact. Soon I hope to have all I want. Just keep finding more.

1987rx7guy
December 9, 2009, 11:06 PM
If I can afford a new item(not just guns) I buy it new. My reasoning is:

1. Buying new keeps the manufacturers in business.
2. Buying used items from vendors/stores gives them too much profit compared to a new item which has a set MSRP level expected.(this is seen a lot in the used media sector: video's/music and games)
3. I leave more used goods to those that are less well off(and I am seriously by no means well off!) that may not be able to afford new items.
4. Buying new, guns specifically, increases the number of firearms that are in the hands of the people. This helps us all statistically speaking.

billsnogo
December 9, 2009, 11:08 PM
New for almost all of my .22's, but used for 1/2 of all else. I am a budget gun buyer, so used has more deals for me :cool:

FROGO207
December 10, 2009, 08:19 PM
USED is the best way. Preferably broken so I can learn how to repair that particular firearm.:cool: Also the profit will be greater IF I decide to ever sell one or two of them.:D

gym
December 11, 2009, 09:29 PM
Guns, Cars and Woman, I tend to get mine pre owned. They usually work better, require less maintanance, last longer, and cost less.

Brian Dale
December 11, 2009, 10:37 PM
Almost all used. Most of the guns that I like best were made during the middle of the 20th century.

3. I leave more used goods to those that are less well off(and I am seriously by no means well off!) that may not be able to afford new items.

Kudos to you, Sir, for thinking that way and acting accordingly. That new shooters are able to find affordable guns of good quality helps all of us who like to teach others.

Walkalong
December 12, 2009, 11:06 AM
A larger percentage where used when I bought them.

chuckusaret
December 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
It is very hard to buy a good new shotgun such as my old Winchesters, model 11 or model 21. I tend to buy used shotguns, that have no plastic parts what so ever, and are at least 40 to 50 years old.:)

searcher451
December 12, 2009, 04:09 PM
A lot of the models that I'm interested in are no longer made, which makes buying used a necessity. I might add that a lot of the models that are still made today aren't made nearly as well, IMO, as they were back in the day -- and you can go back as far as you like. Let's compare the S&W-made PPK, for instance, to the ones made by the Germans, or the French, or even the ones made by Interarms/Ranger a couple of decades ago. Nothing wrong with the old stuff, I say.

Lastmohecken
December 12, 2009, 04:24 PM
I have purchased a lot of used guns, and a lot of new guns. I have probably had as many problems with new guns as used guns. There are plenty of defective ones to go around, new and used. Unfortuately, there is not a lot of new stuff out there that I like, and most of it, is not of the quality of many of the older guns. Bottom line is you can get a lemmon either way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you buy most of your guns new or used?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!