How do you guys that get deals on stuff find them?

PDA

hometheaterman
December 9, 2009, 12:16 AM
I'm usually really lucky with finding deals on stuff. Often it's new stuff however and it doesn't seem to be all that often that I see a huge sale on new guns. I got a good deal on a muzzle loader but never a super deal on a regular shotgun or rifle. Used I normally seem to be able to find deals too however once again when it comes to guns I don't usually run across them.

I always have people offer to buy my guns at a fraction of the cost I payed for them yet when I want to buy guns from others they always seem to want very close to what they paid for them. Like a buddy wanted to sell a Savage .243 with the accu trigger so that he could make his truck payment. He wanted $325. I offered $250. You can get this thing brand new at Wal Mart for like $380 so $325 just doesn't seem that great. Seems like when they want to buy a gun from me they want to offer about half what I paid for it and try to say that's all they are worth.

So for you guys that run across firearms deals like I often hear guys talking about how does it happen? Or is this something where you run across one every few years and not something that happens often?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you guys that get deals on stuff find them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PT1911
December 9, 2009, 12:28 AM
it isnt a very frequent thing unless you to a lot of driving and looking... what is the point if that is the case? mostly, it is knowing what you are looking at and how badly the other person wants to sell it. right now there are a lot of deals out there to be had with people needing money... when in doubt.. let them talk... people who are looking to sell will often talk themselves into a lower price without you ever saying a word....

the convo goes something like this.

Them---"Man I could use some money, interested in this (enter gun here)"
You---"Yeah, i have been looking to get one actually"
Them---"Well, I have 800 in it, I would like to get that out of it"
You---"hmmmmm"
Them---"What do you think?"
You---"Hmmmm"
Them---"I guess I could take 700 for it"
You---"Well, I would like it"
Them---"How bout 650 and i will give you the ammo I have for it as well?"

If you want to be really disgusted, stick around in a gun shop for a while and see what people bring in and ask/take for them.

MinnMooney
December 9, 2009, 12:35 AM
It sure takes a ton of diligent searching, comparing and knowing what something is worth. And then there's dumb luck when a deal falls into your lap.:D

I prefer dumb luck but I mostly do the diligence thing.:o

hso
December 9, 2009, 01:10 AM
It is real work to consistently come up with deals. Work to establish relationships, work to establish trust, work to sift through information, work to educate yourself on what is and isn't any good and what the new, used and abused values are. And luck.

model of 1905
December 9, 2009, 01:15 AM
Best deal I found recently was an Arsenal SLR-95 in a pawn shop in unfired condition. Can't tell you what I paid but let's just say I visit that pawn shop frequently now just in case.;)

evan price
December 9, 2009, 03:46 AM
If you turn over enough rocks, you're bound to find something.

It's a matter of being persistent, of looking everywhere, even places you wouldn't think you'd get a deal. You have to be willing to look at what you find, not only what you want. You also have to look at things differently to see what's a deal and what isn't. If you like to fish- keep throwing that line in- you may not get a trout, but you might get a catfish. Or it might be an old shoe. You have to keep fishing.

You also have to be able to know what something is worth on a gut level, and be able to make a snap decision. The rule is "You snooze you lose". Be the first to see an item and prepared to buy it right now if it is good. I can't tell you how many deals I've made that were because I beat out another guy by a half hour or so, or, I had cash in my pocket and the other guy who got there first didn't.

Once people know you are a "regular" they start setting stuff back for you, making better deals, throwing stuff in for free, etc.

One of the best things is getting to know people so they keep your phone number handy, and THEY call YOU when good deals walk in.

blackops
December 9, 2009, 04:41 AM
Well if you are lucky and always come across deals next time you come across a Winchester M70 270 CRF action let me know.

DRYHUMOR
December 9, 2009, 06:15 AM
Guns usually come in multiples.

If someone is selling a rifle or shotgun, I ask about pistols. If selling a pistol, I ask about shotguns. You get the idea.

They may not have had any calls on what it was they were trying to sell, and you may end up being the one to pick up the deal on something else. But you have to be willing to travel with cash right then. Screw around long enough, and the next guy comes along and picks it up.

45Badger
December 9, 2009, 07:24 AM
Patience, time to look (internet, gunshows, gun clubs, etc), cash on hand. Know what you want, know the current values, negotiate hard (stay fair), and pounce on the deal.

oldman1946
December 9, 2009, 08:30 AM
The real problem is not in finding the deals since even a bling hog will find an acorn every now and then. The problem is having the disposable cash at the time you find the deal.

franconialocal
December 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
LOTS of legwork and checking around. Not taking the first deal that comes along on face value. Diversify your avenues of research.

USMC - Retired
December 9, 2009, 10:24 AM
I check gunbroker daily. Most of the items there are overpriced or overbid but every now and then you can find a real jewel that no one else noticed and that wasn't overpriced to begin with.

MMCSRET
December 9, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have never dealt with an online dealer, but I keep cash in my pocket all the time and everywhere I go, I look and listen. I was placing a classified add to sell a car when the guy next to me was placing an add to sell a 22 Hornet rifle. I had been thinking about trying the Hornet again so I asked him to hold off on his add, we went out to his pick up and I bought his rifle right there in the parking lot. Another time I was repairing a Hyster in a lumber yard and walked out with a Ruger Security Six for a very good price from one of the truck drivers. Keep cash at hand and always listen in on open conversations, it works well.

The Tomcat
December 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
Like many have said. Constant searching. I ws looking for an older model EAA Witness P for months and finally found one at a price that I was willing to pay. A year to find a Llama .380 and I'm still looking for a Glock 17, Ruger Super Redhawk and a Ruger Security Six. (This will end my pistol search then on to rifles.) I have patience and cash on hand to pull the trigger when I do find them. I frequent the pawn shops weekly and even let the storekeepers know what I am looking for and they call me if they get something.

mcdonl
December 9, 2009, 12:00 PM
It is real work to consistently come up with deals. Work to establish relationships, work to establish trust, work to sift through information, work to educate yourself on what is and isn't any good and what the new, used and abused values are. And luck.

Right on HSO... I have met a couple of guys in my area through local sale/buy/trade publications and we contact each other whenever we arelooking to buy, sell or trade and we always give/get great deals.

ar10
December 9, 2009, 12:08 PM
Pure dumb luck in my case. Last Saturday I was at the local gun store and spotted an old Winchester 94 so I grabbed a ticket, (everyone wanting guns has to get a ticket because the place is packed), and went to to reloading supplies. It was busy also. I walked past 4 people right in front of the powder section and spotted an 8lb jug of Varget, the only Varget they had. I grabbed it off the shelf and started back to gun counter. The people by the powder were PO'ed. Apparently they were talking about how they were going to split up the Varget. It was on the shelf and not one of them made a move to pick it up.

After about an hours wait my number was called at the gun counter and I asked to see the 30-30. I liked it and bought it for 349.00. When I got it home I checked the serial number and found it was a pre 64 and was in near perfect condition. :)

goldie
December 9, 2009, 01:27 PM
Constant searching,word of mouth. about 2 years ago my mothers friend moved in with her daughter,& rented her house. i asked what they were doing with the 4 old winchesters in the gun rack in the basement.they never got back to me on it untill now. the woman died & they are selling the house.just got a call to come over to get the guns,all pre 64 winchesters,lever bolts. i thought they were long gone.& ill be getting them for almost nothing.they just want to get rid of them like its some old junk in their way.this is how its done.luck? word of mouth? a little of both...

Trebor
December 10, 2009, 08:34 AM
I had good luck last year looking for guns at garage sales and yard sales.

I had my NRA Instructor business cards with me and at every single sale I'd say, "Do you have any hunting or shooting equipment for sale? I'm a instructor and a collector so I'm always looking for guns for my collection."

I scored a nice S&W Model 49 at one sale. The lady didn't have it out at the sale, but mentioned that she inherited it and wasn't even sure what it was or what it was worth. I told her at the least I could ID it for her and possibly make an offer. She brought it out, I ID'd it and made an offer, she declined, and I left her my card in case she changed her mind. A couple weeks later she called and asked for $50 more then my offer, which was reasonable for both of us, so we made the deal.

I also run across a Mossberg 500 and a Enfield #4 Mk 1 at two other sales. I didn't get either one though, due to lack of cash.

I get other deals my keeping a close eye on the classifieds at various gun boards, especially a state based gun board that I've used for several face to face deals.

RevDerb
December 10, 2009, 08:41 AM
I'm usually really lucky with finding deals on stuff. Often it's new stuff however and it doesn't seem to be all that often that I see a huge sale on new guns. I got a good deal on a muzzle loader but never a super deal on a regular shotgun or rifle. Used I normally seem to be able to find deals too however once again when it comes to guns I don't usually run across them.

I always have people offer to buy my guns at a fraction of the cost I payed for them yet when I want to buy guns from others they always seem to want very close to what they paid for them. Like a buddy wanted to sell a Savage .243 with the accu trigger so that he could make his truck payment. He wanted $325. I offered $250. You can get this thing brand new at Wal Mart for like $380 so $325 just doesn't seem that great. Seems like when they want to buy a gun from me they want to offer about half what I paid for it and try to say that's all they are worth.

So for you guys that run across firearms deals like I often hear guys talking about how does it happen? Or is this something where you run across one every few years and not something that happens often?
You offered him 2/3 of his asking price and were surprised that he didn't jump on it? Good deals are generally in the eye of the beholder (what's it worth to you?) Great deals usually happen when someone is desperate. You need to keep your eyes and ears open and regularly search for what you are looking for. Good deals can be found. Great deals are rare (IMO).

Just One Shot
December 10, 2009, 09:34 AM
Like a buddy wanted to sell a Savage .243 with the accu trigger so that he could make his truck payment. He wanted $325. I offered $250. You can get this thing brand new at Wal Mart for like $380 so $325 just doesn't seem that great.

Yea, you can get it for 380 but add the tax and you'll see the real cost. Lets say your local tax is 6%........

380 x 6% = $402.80

402.80 - 325 = $77.80 savings. If my math is correct that's like 81% of the real cost of the gun.

You say he's a buddy and he offers you a fair deal yet you don't help him out in his time of need?

:confused:

Just Saying.

Shrevy
December 10, 2009, 09:48 AM
You offered him 2/3 of his asking price and were surprised that he didn't jump on it?

Actually, he offered more than 3/4 of the price. Asking $325 and offered $250.
$250/$325 = 76.9%
Without commenting on the situation of helping out a buddy, that doesn't seem like such a low offer to me. It seems like a reasonable opening offer.

Schutzen
December 10, 2009, 09:49 AM
You have to look at a lot of guns and say "No, thanks" a lot. Plus it helps to keep cash in your pocket.

A wise man once told me the quickest way to double your money on a gun was to take your money out of your pocket, fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. It works.

woad_yurt
December 10, 2009, 10:18 AM

Short answer: Time and effort.

Long answer: By poring through Gunbroker et al regularly and frequently. By making up some saved searches and using them often. Sometimes it takes up a bunch of time but it works for me.

Warrior108
December 10, 2009, 11:14 AM
Timing and luck. The past few years gun shows just haven't been places to get deals. But, last year I walked up to the very last table in the show, which was covered in older guns and revolvers with the dealer sitting there with 3 HK's in front of him. A guy just walked away and traded in an abused HK USP 45, a fairly nice HK USP 9 Compact in stainless and a HK P30 that I don't think was shot more than a box of ammo. I was actually shopping for a P30 at the time and the cheapest I found them for was $850 The seller had no familiarity with HKs, looked in a blue book to get prices for me and said he'd price each of them at $650. The P30 comes with 2 mags but he had gotten 3 extra brand new mags with the trade and gave me those as well (included in the $650), easily being worth another $150 for the 3. I took the P30 home and swabbed it out with Qtips and could find almost no powder/dirt inside the frame. No barrel wear or any markings/scratches - may as well have been brand new.

Other than that, I usually watch GunBroker daily and found during the past couple of years, GunBroker is about the best place for finding deals out there. I think you can also set up a search on GunBroker that will email you when something gets added with certain key words.

03Shadowbob
December 10, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have dumb luck also and I know a lot of people who know a lot of people (fortunately that have a gun or two). I have gotten 2 Marlin 336s for $200 each, a Glock 19 for $300, a 410 SxS and 12ga O/U for $100 for both, a Model 36 S&W snubbie for $250, a Kimber Pro Carry for $500, a HK P2000sk that I traded a beat up AK for that I got for $280, etc...just been lucky and in right place at right time I guess.
BTW, the SxS and O/U are old and pitted etc but still shoot.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/BJCWALL/guns/oldguns013-1.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/BJCWALL/guns/oldguns009-1.jpg

orvpark
December 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
When someone brags on the new gun they bought and what a sweet deal it is I will shoot them a message and tell them if they ever want their money back to give me a call.

jnyork
December 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
My wife and I are avid yard salers in the summertime, we go every Friday and Saturday. Even if there are no guns or related stuff on the tables, I always ask "Do you have any guns or hunting stuff you want to get rid of?" You would be amazed at what comes out of the woodwork. Not only guns but reloading gear, components, gun cases, spotting scopes, you name it.

rogertc1
December 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
The real trick I found is to have money when the deal is offered.

FROGO207
December 10, 2009, 08:30 PM
Gramps said it best "Good luck is just that but bad luck is poor planning".
That said I look to swap/sell publications, a reputation of buying from friends when they need a little cash, and always internet auctions such as Gunbroker.

LeonCarr
December 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
I have two rules to get good deals.

Always have cash available, and always be prepared to walk away from a deal that sucks.

Thingster
December 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
I get most of my real good deals sitting in the "wrong" bar at the right time. Someone'll walk in needing cash in a hurry and will have a gun to sell. So long as you have the most cash in your pocket, you'll get it regardless of how little you actually have. This is typically .22 rifles, an occaisonal hunting rifle and "whore house guns".

My big win this way was an all numbers matching 1915 Luger for $250. Checked it with the police to make sure it wasn't hot and haven't looked back since.

hometheaterman
December 10, 2009, 11:59 PM
You offered him 2/3 of his asking price and were surprised that he didn't jump on it? Well, I'm kind of surprised. BTW since he lives right across the state line we would have had to go through a FFL dealer. I told him I'd pay $250 then split the FFL costs. I however, was fully expecting to pay the full FFL costs.

The reason I'm surprised he didn't take that offer is he was about to lose his truck and actually ended up having his truck repoed. If I was in that position I'd rather have made my truck payment and kept my truck rather than a .243 you can go to Wal Mart and get anytime. I can't imagine that $250 would have gotten him all that far away from the payment.

Yea, you can get it for 380 but add the tax and you'll see the real cost. Lets say your local tax is 6%........

380 x 6% = $402.80

402.80 - 325 = $77.80 savings. If my math is correct that's like 81% of the real cost of the gun.

You say he's a buddy and he offers you a fair deal yet you don't help him out in his time of need?
I just don't think it was a great deal. As I said earlier I would have had to pay FFL transfer fee's which seem to be around $25 at best. So that puts me at $350 for a used gun I can go buy for $400 brand new. Then on top of that I know he doesn't take very good care of his guns or anything else really. It was in pretty good shape since it wasn't that old but I highly doubt the year he has had it has been the best life for it.

On top of that it's probably not the gun I'd have bought if I was going to buy one. It was halfway what I wanted and if it would have helped him out some I would have bought it to help him. However, I'm not going to pay darn near full price of a new one when it's not exactly what I wanted. It was a .243 and I really don't want a .243. I'd like a gun in a 25-06. I could have lived with the .243 though. It also like I said above I'm sure hasn't had the best life. Then on top of that I can get the Marlin XL-7 in 25-06 like I want for right around $300 brand new at the gun store. I could then put a $50 scope on it that would be just as good as the Simmons scope on that .243 and have a brand new scope and gun for the same price that's closer to what I want. I would have actually gotten a lot better scope more than likely and may have even gotten a bit nicer gun. I also don't really need one just kind of have a desire for something like that.

Just doesn't seem like a deal to me.

As far as not helping out a buddy. I don't mind helping him out but I'm not going to just give him the money either. If it was a relative or really close friend I might have worked something out. However, while he is a friend and a guy I hunt with he isn't a super close friend and like I said the gun wasn't exactly what I wanted and it was very close to being full price.

I think at $250 plus me paying the transfer fee's that is way more than fair for a guy who is losing his truck and needs money. Plus it would be fair for me as it wouldn't be exactly what I wanted but would have been cheap enough I could have lived with it.

I guess he just decided he'd rather have the rifle than his truck.

TehK1w1
December 11, 2009, 01:34 AM
A truck is just a truck. But a man's rifle, now...
I fully understand his reasoning.

Quoheleth
December 11, 2009, 01:45 AM
Hometheaterman, I hear ya. I bought a gun last week, not so much because I really wanted it, but because I sorta wanted it as a gift for a bro-in-law, and the guy selling it needed a bump. It wasn't a smokin hot deal; it wasn't a bad deal. It was fair. If I didn't know the guy and he didn't have a real need I wouldn't have done the deal. So, if my BIL wants it, he can have it. If not, I'll move it on down the road.

Sounds like you were trying to help by offering to buy something you only half-way wanted/needed. His need wasn't at the level of your offer; no sale. Likewise, your desire wasn't at the level of his need; no sale. Happens all the time in sales. Seen the story about Sams and Coke? Sams wanted to sell Coke at X-price for Y% profit. Coke wanted more than X, cutting into Sam's profits. Neither was willing to budge. Sams lost one of their name brand products; Coke lost one of their big retailers.

Q

Q

Kashtin
December 11, 2009, 01:58 AM

Be patient Little Weedhopper.

One day, when you are ready, you will be invited to the inner sanctum where you be shown the Holy Book of Deals. You will read of all deals past, present and future. Only then will you be ready to snatch the deals that will be yours.

MachIVshooter
December 11, 2009, 02:07 AM
Can only really parrot what others have said. Lot's of contacts, cash on hand, and a knowing what's worth what well enough to make snap decisions.

And sometimes stuff just works out. I just traded a mint PSL with 5 mags and a couple hundred rounds for a NIB 1974 Mauser Luger .30 and a well used new model Single-Six .32 H&R. And it worked for both of us. He wanted the PSL and had less into the two pistols than what a new PSL would cost without the extra mags and ammo, yet the value of the two handguns easily exceeds the PSL. Win-Win.

This often works out with vehicles as well. Perceived values have alot to do with it. Those of us who wrench for a living can often trade into something that is worth alot more than what we let go of after a few hundred dollars worth of parts.

Fleetwood_Captain
December 11, 2009, 02:27 AM
Well I can't say i've really had that many "steals" in my collection, but I feel everything I have has been purchased at a fair price.

The trick is just to be patient, and have an open mind. If your in a hurry, you will probably overpay. Very rarely are you going to find a "great deal" on the gun you want "right now." Most of the stories I hear about great buys are on guns the current owners wern't even looking for in the first place.

The eye of the beholder is crucial in situations like this. If anything, lack of desire is the key point to many "great deals." Some people wouldn't pay any money for a long-action .455 S&W hand-ejector with a chopped barrel, shaved .45acp cylinder, and a million proof/import marks. But the guy that buys it for $200 just got the "deal of the day" on a "custom antique."

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you guys that get deals on stuff find them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!