ak-clone bolt staying back?

PDA

Jim_100
December 10, 2009, 04:16 PM
AK Clone. I would imagine this has been solved but I could not search it out. What is causing the bolt and carrier to stay in the back position. It feels like it is hanging up. Makes me want to file something. Is it supposed to stay back?

If you enjoyed reading about "ak-clone bolt staying back?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
December 10, 2009, 04:21 PM
Unless it's a Yugo with bolt-hold-open mags in it, no, the bolt should not stay back.

Does the bolt hang up when you are shooting? If not, quite riding the charging handle, it's not a real problem. BSW

rcmodel
December 10, 2009, 04:31 PM
Most common cause is the guide rails inside the receiver are spot-welded on in the wrong position and the carrier is rubbing on the receiver shell.

There is some good info on that here.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts3/index.asp

rc

chrissmallwood
December 10, 2009, 04:31 PM
It sounds like the bolt is hanging on the hammer. My Saiga does that now after I put my Tapco trigger group in it. If it only does it when your releasing the bolt by hand then the solution would be to pull it back and let go, not release it slowly like mentioned earlier.

Quentin
December 10, 2009, 04:34 PM
Is it a WASR? This is common on new ones and shouldn't be a problem. The bolt catches on the hammer in semiauto mode (because the hammer rides higher in SA than FA) but will clear up after a good break in.

Don't trust that it's a real bolt hold open or it'll slam forward on your fingers, etc.

Jim_100
December 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks. Yes it is a newer (few rounds) wasr.

CnRnut
December 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
As others have said, most likely your hammer.
I've seen the rear underside of the bolt carrier "cleaned"
up to help this out.Also seen the "profile" of the hammer
reshaped to fix this.
One other thing it might be is your carrier wanting to jump out
of your upper rails at the rear of the receiver. In this case a buffer
has fixed it 99% of the time.

dfariswheel
December 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
This is a "feature" of the AK rifle.
What it is is nothing more than the hammer pressing up on the bolt carrier.
If you ease the bolt forward, it will "hang" open.
This is NOT a bolt hold open, and if you try to use it as such, the bolt will slam shut at the first jar.
This is not an issue unless the bolt is failing to close when fired.

DO NOT start cutting on the hammer face.
The hammer face interacts with the "tail" on the bolt carrier to prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin until the bolt is closed and locked.
If you alter the hammer face, you can disable this feature and the rifle can slam fire.

If you enjoyed reading about "ak-clone bolt staying back?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!