How are Howa Rifles?

PDA

Big Bill
December 10, 2009, 08:30 PM
My favorite gun store is carrying this line and I've heard very good things about these guns. But, what has been your experience if you have one? I'm considering buying one this coming year. What are your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "How are Howa Rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
December 10, 2009, 08:51 PM
I have a Weatherby Vanguard and it is a great rifle. Accurate, well-made, solid.

There's a guy on here who has a shop, and he's reported QA problems with Howa-branded rifles. Whether that is still true, I'm not sure. Hopefully, he'll chime in.

I've seen one that was used to build a gorgeous traditional-looking prairie dog gun with a hand-made Grade V walnut sporter stock but varmint accuracy. Neat one-of-a-kind project, and it's a wonderful piece.

Haven't really heard anyone complain about their Weatherby Vanguards -- even Gun Tests, who gave theirs an A rating. They're not the lightest guns in the world, but that's about their only objective fault.:)

tango2echo
December 10, 2009, 09:54 PM
I own a couple of them now, and a custom built on a M1500 action. IME they're excellent.

t2e

tommyintx
December 11, 2009, 12:48 AM
I have a Howa Model 1500 in .223. Other than some wildcats, best varmint gun i've had yet. Unbelievable accuracy from such a cheap gun. I shot probably 250 FMJ's through it cleaning every 25 after initial break in.. Now it shoots 40 grain Moly VMAX's.. at close to 4000 FPS.. and nails 1/2" groups... all day long.. even with some wind.. And it's got a 40$ bushnell scope on it. I can provide pics if necessary.

MountainBear
December 11, 2009, 12:50 AM
Built a couple of custom rifles off of their barreled actions. Always been satisfied...

If you enjoyed reading about "How are Howa Rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!