I think it's time I got into handguns again...

PDA

bogie
January 20, 2003, 01:02 PM
Okay - my bud has FINALLY agreed to sell me back my 1911...

But... I'm also thinking that the thing is a tad bit large to drag around on a regular basis. So, I'm leaning toward getting a small 5-shot .38 or .357 bobbed hammer revolver.

The question is which one? I'm no snob, don't care about looks, and I suspect that it'll get a few scratches, etc... I guess the choice is a tossup between Taurus and Ruger - any other suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "I think it's time I got into handguns again..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
January 20, 2003, 01:54 PM
The Taurus small-frame revolvers are pretty close to the S&W J-frames, to the point where you can use leather intended for S&Ws. I've had good luck with all the Taurus wheelguns I've bought in the last few years...they are well-made, and reasonably priced.

The Rugers are built like tanks, but they ar not quite as small and light as the small-frame Tauri. Even the SP101 is a porker compared to one of the Taurus Ultralite or Total Ti snubbies.

4v50 Gary
January 20, 2003, 03:04 PM
Ruger. Tough like a Russian tank and outlasts the Taurus.

10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 03:18 PM
For durability, you can't beat the RUgers

dairycreek
January 20, 2003, 04:31 PM
Good shooting:)

sm
January 20, 2003, 04:47 PM
Used model 10 with a 2" bbl.

helped a student get one, normal wear, mechanically sound, changed the grips...$ 175, she needed a gun the fellow needed money. Cash & be patient;)

garrettwc
January 20, 2003, 08:01 PM
Another vote for the Ruger. Their SP101 is a great little .357 blaster.

Blackhawk
January 20, 2003, 08:32 PM
bogie,

Just lean the other way toward small autos, or have you already excluded them?

Not that they're better or worse, it's just that there are so many choices! :D

Zander
January 20, 2003, 09:05 PM
I like Ruger revolvers, too. But they always seem a little [or a lot] too heavy for a given caliber.

A used S&W J-frame would be my first choice, although I've had really good luck with Tauri, too. If you don't want to be worried about maintenance, a choice in stainless like the Model 60 would be a good starting point.

The Taurus 85CH or Ultralite is strong and dependable if you can't find a good used Smith...

1badmagnum
January 20, 2003, 09:59 PM
you cant lose with either,taurus has a lifetime warranty and is cheaper,the ruger has been around for a while.how about both :)

notbubba
January 20, 2003, 11:47 PM
Taurus 605c .357.

I like how Taurus shoot better then Ruger.

bogie
January 21, 2003, 12:37 PM
Well, I'm primarily concerned here with reliability and ease of carry, in a semi-major caliber. Yeah, the little autos are smaller, but if the first one goes "click" then life suddenly becomes far more interesting.

If I was going for an auto, it'd probably be an AMT .45.

Does the finish on the little titanium dojiggers get screwed up easily? Or can I treat it like a stainless gun?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 21, 2003, 01:19 PM
Get the Ruger.

AMT ?!?!?!---YIKES!!!-----might want to reconsider that one.

Kahr carrier
January 21, 2003, 11:28 PM
Ruger sp-101.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "I think it's time I got into handguns again..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!