Has anyone here suffered a gunshot wound?

PDA

ijosef
December 11, 2009, 12:25 PM
Since we are here to discuss firearms as a hobby and a passion, I'd like to open up discussion to the results of gun shot wounds. Since guns, while loads of fun, are deadly weapons and extremely dangerous if not handled properly, I think it would be good to talk about the end results of gunshots to the human body. When I'm at the range, it seems like some (certainly not most) people forget what devastating consequences lackadaisical gun use can have.

Have you ever been shot? What was the experience like?

I do appreciate the accident threads I've seen here - the shotgun wound to the food was very graphic but I'm glad it was posted to remind us all to be safe.

I've never been shot, unless you count getting blasted in the side with a BB gun by a neighbor kid when I was younger. It stung like a mother, but it didn't penetrate my skin.

I work at a maximum security correctional facility for adult males, and a lot of them have suffered gunshot wounds at some point in their lives (for sure at a far higher frequency than the general population). I talked to one gangbanger who was shot with a 9mm in the knee as he was running away. He told me he kept running and didn't even feel it until he got to safety and stopped. They actually had to replace "some parts" in his knee (according to him) at the hospital. I've also seen a lot of guys with long scars down their abdomens from having been cut open in order to treat a GSW. One guy got shot in the side at and angle with a .45ACP, which exited out his back. He lost a kidney, and according to him, it was incredibly painful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone here suffered a gunshot wound?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
December 11, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yep, there have been a few here. I've been lucky though.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=480082
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=460153

highorder
December 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
Yes.

.22lr as a younger man. Ricochet shooting at the dump.

It felt like a burn from a hot poker. A grazing shot to my inner bycep.

Warhawk83
December 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
My father shot off a finger crossing a fence with a shotgun when he was around 8 years old.

To the not knowing he was shot until he stopped thing, I had my ankle completely crushed in a car accident, hopped over and sat down and thought it was just broken, it wasn't that painful until 5 minutes later when the nerve started making my foot jump around. It's all adrenaline, nothing to do with it only being a 9.

lawson4
December 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
Yup. .22lr from less than 3 ft away. Hunting accident; my friend was unloading his pump rifle. I walked in front of it as he pulled the trigger to release the firing pin spring. We were both stupid.
The bullet hit my spine and fragmented. I spent 3 days in intensive care. It felt like someone had hit me with a hammer in the middle of my back, but went kind of numb very quickly. Not a lot of pain, but what felt like pressure on my back.
However, there is bright side to the story. Because I couldn't finish P.E. class I was transfered to Art class. I met my future wife there. We've been married 39 years.:D

Rick

berettashotgun
December 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
***.22lr as a younger man. Ricochet shooting at the dump:rolleyes:***

Hahahahahaha

That's funny!
Glad you got better.

makarovnik
December 11, 2009, 03:48 PM
I have not but my father got shot in the neck from a old rusty .22lr handgun that "wasn't loaded". It went all the way through his neck nicking the jugular vein.

He was able to run a few blocks toward home before the blood loss made him pass out. Luckily a quick acting police officer saw him go down and picked him up by the seat of his pants and threw him in the paddy wagon.

This was in the early 1930's. He recovered with no lasting ill effects.

One lucky sucker that cop was there.

Crawford
December 12, 2009, 01:47 AM
I got hit with a 12 gauge loaded with rock salt as a kid... burned like the dickens. I was about 15 years old. Some friends and I were making a night time raid on a watermelon patch. They ran faster than I did and got out safe, but I took one in the butt. I managed to pull most of it out but had to go home and sit in the bathtub for about an hour to dissolve the rest out... just lucky I was far enough away so it didn't go too deep. I never went "watermelon hunting" after that.

Arkansas Paul
December 12, 2009, 11:00 AM
ha ha. I bet you didn't. I always heard about rock salt but never knew if it was legit. I guess it is.

Vonderek
December 12, 2009, 11:07 AM
A good lesson for those who time to time post about the effectiveness/or lack thereof of rock salt as an SD option

Grassman
December 12, 2009, 11:42 AM
No, but I shot my truck one time sighting in my 22-250 from the bed of the truck.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

AirForceShooter
December 12, 2009, 11:45 AM
Combat 3 times.
Yeah I was horrible at ducking
IT HURTS. But sometimes not right away.

I don't recommend it.

AFS

LibShooter
December 12, 2009, 11:57 AM
My uncle told me about the time he was shot while serving in the Air Force. It was an in and out would to "The large muscle at the top rear of his right leg."

He says his first sensation was an intense burning. He thought "How did I get stung by a hornet in Greenland?" Then it hurt, a lot and he fell. He suffered no lasting effects but did get reassigned to a warmer billet. The guy who accidently shot him served in the cold for years.

rmodel65
December 12, 2009, 12:30 PM
<-------------9mm wwb hollow point to the right femur it broke now i have a new titanium rod :P

doc2rn
December 12, 2009, 12:46 PM
I got hit in the neck with a ricochette from a 7.62x39 luckily it didnt shatter the vertebrae at C-3. Imagine a red hot poker and you come close.

BBA
December 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
I was shot with rock salt from about 10 yds by a farmer with a 10ga. Peppered my backside as I was climbing over a fence. I was 8 or 9 yrs old and had spooked a squirrel around the other side of a lg oak tree for my great uncle to shoot. The farmer was working his field, saw me and didn't know me and came by on the tractor and BOOM. Burned like HELL! MY uncle just about killed the man even though they were friends. I still have the scars and the tweesers the hospital used.

DirtyHarry31
December 12, 2009, 04:15 PM
I did not but one of my friends at school when I was 13 got shot in the side by a 12 gauge with #6 shot :eek:. Father was leading him down a path to hunt phesant. The father was carrying his shotgun with the safety off, finger on trigger pointed upwards :banghead:. Went for a shot at a bird when he missed catching the forearm with his left hand, swung back & went off at my friend. He was very fortunate it caught him on his right side between his hip, shoulder and the inside of his arm :what::cuss:. If it were any further right he would be missing an arm, any further left ad there would be a hole & dead :(. Was in the hopital for a week, home recouping for 2 weeks before he came back to school. In gym class he showed us his side. They got most of the shot but the rest would work their way out. Was like a realy nasty BIG blackheads :barf:. THAT KEEPS ME STRICT ABOUT GUN SAFETY! FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNLESS YOUR READY TO SHOOT! I'm now 52 and I can still see that wound right now :confused:.

FRJ
December 12, 2009, 04:52 PM
Twice in combat. One in the leg thats still there and has caused me pain sometimes excruciating for over 40 years. The other was in an unmentionable place and hurt like hell initially but doesn't bother me any more. 2 years ago I was shot thru the hand with an arrow and that was terribly painful also. I love the movies where people get hit in the most complicated joint(shoulder) in their body and stuff a dirty handkerchief in the hole and shrug it off. Bullet wounds hurt real bad and may never stop hurting.Be Careful Gentlemen. FRJ

Steve 48
December 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
I was fortunate in Vietnam not to get shot but plenty of other non firearm related injuries.

Hold My Own
December 12, 2009, 10:10 PM
Never been shot, and I hope I never do. My friend just got shot a few months ago with 6 rounds of .22 all over his backside. I think he said like 2 in the behind, and 4 scattered over his back. He was mistaken for someone else, and I'm sure you guys can figure the rest out. He won't tell me who did it, but he said it felt like someone took a molten hot hammer, wound up, and just smashed it into your back as hard as they could. He's alright now, though.

Pappy109
December 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
I was fortunate in Vietnam not to get shot but plenty of other non firearm related injuries.
I see you also found a good sleeping spot under those D-8 bulldozers as well! Back it up to a bank or the track of another, lower the blade and crawl under.

Boba Fett
December 12, 2009, 11:03 PM
2 years ago I was shot thru the hand with an arrow and that was terribly painful also.

DANG! OUCH! :eek:

Haven't shot myself and by following the four rules I wont.

Closest I've come is paintballs to unpadded areas of the body. I have been told that they can be more painful than actually being shot with a real bullet. Not sure I believe that, but I don't plan to find out if that is true or not.

My thanks to those who served and especially those who were wounded during their service to our country. Your sacrifice does not go unnoticed or unappreciated by those of us who live everyday in the freedom you provided.

EvanWilliams
December 13, 2009, 12:21 AM
I've been peppered by bird shot from long range. I was walking on the edge of the woods and could see two guys shooting in a field far away. I knew I was in their line of fire but at that distance did not care. I heard sounds through the leaves and a stinging on my chest and arms. I had glasses on so I wasn't worried. I laughed an kept walking. So, technically I survived a "shotgun" blast!!! LOL.

purebred
December 13, 2009, 12:52 AM
My thanks to those who served and especially those who were wounded during their service to our country. Your sacrifice does not go unnoticed or unappreciated by those of us who live everyday in the freedom you provided.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that

Clifford
December 13, 2009, 03:35 PM
.22 LR ricochet across my right forearm as a kid, didn't hurt to much but sure did bleed alot.

A friend of mine was shot in the chest with a .22 LR handgun. A kid at his highschool walked up to him in the hall put the gun to his chest and pulled the trigger! Jessie (the person shot) was incredibly lucky the round hit his sternum and stopped. He tells me it felt like being punched at first and was sore for a week or so.

1895cowboy
December 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
i got it in the back with a few pellets my back, my dad took some buckshot in the knee though

essayons21
December 13, 2009, 05:52 PM
Seems like .22LR ricochets are more common than I thought.

I took a .22 ricochet to the shin while shooting bottles off of a steel I-beam. Pretty stupid. Broke the skin and hurt like hell.

Took a baseball sized chunk of concrete to the head from an IED. Fortunately hit my K-pot and just stunned me a bit.

Gun Geezer
December 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
Took a ricochett (sp?) that left a tiny bruise. Yes, I have suffered a "wound"!

abr10dr
December 13, 2009, 07:18 PM
My father got a Ruger single action .22, 1963 we went shooting when he came home on leave. I was aiming and decided not to take the shot, brought the gundown to my side, "went off", felt like a bee sting. The bullet went in at the curve of my right ankle and lodged just under the skin of my instep. Thank God it was a 22 short. I shied away from single actions for quite some time.

Erik M
December 13, 2009, 08:45 PM
One of my closest friends in highschool was shot by his neighbor with a 12 guage shotgun that 'wasn't loaded'. Im not sure what load it was. Caught my friend dead center of his right thigh, head on at about 5 feet. He told me that he collapsed immediately from the shock and dosent remember anything. He had to have several surgeries, physical therapy, and skin grafts from his other leg. He lost most of the muscle mass in that part of his leg. He always told me that it felt like a Civil War surgeon was slowly sawing his leg off with an amputation saw. He has a permanent limp, but did regain the strength to walk again. I thank God that he diddn't take my friends life that day, still turns my stomach.

longdayjake
December 13, 2009, 10:00 PM
I was one of those guys that you see pictures of what happens when nail guns get too close to your hand.

slim76
December 13, 2009, 10:05 PM
I was out in the desert shooting at targets affixed to a pile of tires and other trash that people tend to leave out in the desert with a ruger blackhawk .45LC. It was a kind of "No way, for real?" moment when I watched the bullet fly back towards me and hit me in the shin, left a nice bruise.
My worst firearms injuries are closing the bolt of a rifle on my finger and crushing the tip of my pinky finger with a rem 870 forearm, ouch.

gunnutery
December 14, 2009, 06:28 AM
I knew a guy from highschool that was present at an accidental shooting. I didn't know the others involved. One guy was sitting in a chair and another guy was across the room messing around with a shotgun (they probably thought it was unloaded) and he pulled the trigger and shot the guy in the chair in the chest. I'm not sure what load it was but he didn't survive.

Even before I heard about that incident I always visibly showed everyone that the gun I'm showing is unloaded.

Hope I'm not too off base for posting this as it wasn't me that suffered the lasting effects but thought it was relavant.

mousegun380
December 14, 2009, 07:25 AM
Special thanks to all you wounded veterans! (and non-wounded veterans)

kanook
December 14, 2009, 08:57 AM
bb ricochette, touch your skull beside your eye, that's where the Dr. removed the bb.

22mag ricocette, shooting a pine tree at 30yds with a Iver Johnson, came back and tag the very bottom of my little kanooks (you bet I cried) felt like being kicked by a horse (had that happen too)

not sure what caliber, felt a sharp pain in my right calf, pulled up pants legs saw a little blood, went to wipe it away and scratched my hand on something. pulled out pieces of copper jacket. Not sure who did it.

12 or 20 gauge, quail and dove hunting, 4 pellets in my rib cage.

The wife caught a 44mag ricochette in the shoulder at an indoor range

just remembered rat shot ricochette in the head while chasing rats and shot at one in a corner.

chuwee81
December 14, 2009, 02:00 PM
let's see.

1. Airsoft ricochet that hit 1/4" below my left eye. I thanked God i am not blind today.
2. paintball on left palm - point blank thinking it wasn't loaded (just wanna feel the air pressure).
3. Left forearm with jacket sleeve - point blank steel BB .177. How hard a sting would a 300 fps BB felt like. Guess i found out that day.
4. Again, left palm, Crossman multi pump - verified clear, just wanna feel 600 fps of air pressure from a .177 barrel like. YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED !
5. ALMOST shot my best friend on the back of his neck with the same air rifle. We were shooting targets in his backyard, side by side ( he was to the left and a bit to the front). So he was kneeling down - loading and pumping, my turn to shoot. Then he stood up from one knee and got up in front of my sight picture. Good thing i hesitated or i'd have put one dead center on his spine.

no firearms related yet and hope i never will.

EDIT: just remembered. Out in the field shooting an old pc monitor. Used 9mm and 12 ga. I used #7 shot and #4 express long range. one of the pellet from #7 ricochetted and hit me on the cheek. I was about 10 yds away shooting at an angle (standing and that thing was on the ground).

Ryder
December 14, 2009, 02:37 PM
Birdshot pellets to the head. No penetration but it did give me a headache. Was a lot like getting punched.

My sunglasses stopped one pellet from hitting my temple, it left a dent in the plastic. A couple hit my jaw line and raised up welts like bee stings. A half dozen hit in the back of the head because I heard the shot pellets sweeping through the air toward me I turned my head away at the last instant.

LibShooter
December 14, 2009, 02:42 PM
If we're counting BB guns, I can't tell you how many times I've been hit. During my 12th and 13th summers a group of us would take our Daisies and Crosmen to an overgrown section of a city park to play a prototype version of paintball. Tiny, hard painful paintballs. They really sting. Our safety equipment consisted of batting helmets and goggles stolen from chemistry lab. They fogged up pretty fast and were usually discarded. We were limited to two pumps, but you know... the rules of war are often among the first causalities.

Don't ask me how we survived with no permanent injuries... I guess the lord has a soft spot in his heart for idiots. (That's why he made so many of them.)

Grease Monkey
December 14, 2009, 03:05 PM
I guess I'm in for the .22 ricochet club. Went shooting at a rock quarry (we weren't supposed to be there), and had one bounce back and hit me in the forearm. I was wearing a heavy leather jacket, but it still went through and broke the skin. Bled for a little while, and burned like crazy. I was scared to death my dad would wring my neck when he found out what happened.

A buddy of mine took some shrapnel in the thigh and hip when we were mortared in Mosul years ago. Same mortar that hit him never touched me.

Broken11b
December 14, 2009, 10:31 PM
A few ricochets, arm and knee... Friendly fire isn't.

lee-enfield shooter
February 2, 2010, 09:44 PM
Using my first 410 shotgun and was using old NITRO ( i guess thats what they're called) you know the ones that are very unstable after a long time. And was loading one in the chamber, it was a single shot bolt action, and when i just about got the bolt closed the round decided to go off. I will never forget the sight of the fire coming from around that bolt. I got it in the face, eyelids( fortunately I closed my eyes just in time), and my left hand. I still have a pellet in my right hand. My father was sitting next to me and asked "Did you get it?" Then he started swearing and asking if i was alright. The empty shell was later found aver 40 ft away, and the brass part of the shell almost 60 ft away.

Rubber_Duck
February 2, 2010, 11:06 PM
I have a friend who caught a 125 grain slug in the thigh after shooting a .357 Magnum at a tire from 3 feet away, hitting the rim and ricocheting the bullet right back at himself. Went to the hospital for a few hours. No longer shoots at close objects as a result.

bnelson2943
February 2, 2010, 11:27 PM
12 gauge #5 shot from about 50 ft. Got it in the hand, knee, chest, and hip. Felt like I got hit with four hammers all at once. Stupid hunting accident where I let someone get behind me. Funny story...I went into the emergency room and told the nurse I was hunting and my friend accidently shot me and I had a pellet here, here, here and here. She looked at me kinda strange and asked "he accidently shot you four times?!" The surgeries to remove pellets were much worse than getting shot. Oh yea, when I went to put my pants back on when I was released from the hospital I found a pellet in the fly of my jeans. It was flattened in half and had the markings of my zipper. 1/16 of an inch either direction…… Hate to think about that one!!

scott5
February 2, 2010, 11:51 PM
Hello all,
I'll tell you about one thing I almost did to get somebody killed:cuss::banghead::fire:

Years ago four of us went hunting like we usualy did but three of us had Muzzel loaders and the fourth one had his fathers Savage left handed bolt action 30 06.
We were out on point one day and saw a buck bouncing dawn the canyon, and should have shot at it at a quartering but waited until it was at 90 degres from us before all four of us were shooting at it.

I thought we were all in a line and it was OK for me to shoot but when I raised my gun up to shoot with my finger on the trigger my sights lined up on the back of someone's head.:what::what::banghead:

I'm glad I had the presents of mind to move over and forward so I could get a clear shot at the dear.

Extremely Pro Gun
February 2, 2010, 11:54 PM
lots of 22lr stories, yall are still alive so obviously the bullet didn't bounce around inside of you tearing you to pieces. :D

IM SO SURPRISED!!!!! :barf:

C-grunt
February 3, 2010, 12:26 AM
My squad leader shot a door lock with his M4 in Baghdad. Bullet exploded and a good chunk hit me in the left hand. I looked down and could see a little bit of copper sticking out between my pinky and ring finger knuckles. Bled like a mother. I was able to pull it out. Looked like the tip of the bullet front of the canolure all mangled.

A few months ago while dove hunting with friends I decided to target practice with my Smith and Wesson 15 at a mesquite tree. Well apparently mesquite wood is pretty hard. The 158 LRN perfectly mushroom on the trunk and came straight back hitting me in the shin. Left a small bruise. Still have that bullet.

Had a guy in my platoon ND his M203 into his foot while picking up his rifle. Broke his foot.

RevolvingGarbage
February 3, 2010, 03:06 AM
Had a guy in my platoon ND his M203 into his foot while picking up his rifle. Broke his foot.

WOW, I bet that hurt like hell...

Live round or inert?

Deus Machina
February 3, 2010, 03:33 AM
Old, but-

Closest I've come is paintballs to unpadded areas of the body. I have been told that they can be more painful than actually being shot with a real bullet. Not sure I believe that, but I don't plan to find out if that is true or not.

-is BS. Uncovered and close up, it stings like heck, but I routinely played until recently in jeans and a long-sleeved T-shirt, and that thin bit of fabric saves you from any actual pain at 7 yards or more. The visible bruises are an entirely different matter.

Anyway, I hope never to get shot with an actual firearm, but have taken a BB to the thigh. A friend was being dumb and it ricocheted from a shallow angle off a tree, and embedded itself just under the skin. A moment of "GAHHH you summab*** you shot me!" and some jumping around, and I ended up gritting my teeth and squeezing it out like popping a zit. Fell right out, bled pretty good, left a wicked bruise.

I forgave him and we laughed about it after he bought me just about every meal that week. Still my best friend, now that he's got real guns and some common sense.

My dad took a full shot from a shotgun in the back while squirrel hunting. Handed the partner his gun, drove home, and was picking it out with a mirror, pliers and tweezers in the garage until mom (and the rubbing alcohol he was using) convinced him to go to the hospital. Still has some scars.

His friend hasn't touched a gun since.

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 3, 2010, 03:40 AM

Damn. God bless the minimum arming distance on the 40 mike mike.

Big_E
February 3, 2010, 04:33 AM
Not quite, a friends little brother muzzle sweeping me w/ a .17HMR from about 10ft away, while we were squirrel/woodpecker hunting. I don't plan on being shot, not by some tike anyway. I gave him a lecture I hope he never forgets.

I had a guy on my old HS football team get shot w/ birdshot while hunting, didn't really seem to affect him much since he was at practice the next day.

navyretired 1
February 3, 2010, 05:28 AM
Twice but I can't write about it, I was also blown up once, all 3 hurt like hell.

HighStrung
February 3, 2010, 07:07 AM
I've taken (what seems to be somewhat common) a few ricochets. Mainly 22lr and a couple 9mm when shooting the steel targets at my parents house. One 9mm caught me in the upper part of the cheek without glasses on. Lucky.

dbb1776
February 3, 2010, 08:37 AM
I knew a guy that liked to shoot. Whenever I saw him we would talk guns. One time I see him walking on a cane.
The story as told by him:

"I was shooting my .22 and it was hot. We had a bunch of mosquitoes biting us. One bit my leg right behind the knee, I used my front sight to scratch and BANG..."

The bullet sliced a path from the top of his calf and exited at the ankle. It left a nasty scar but it didn't do any major damage.

44Dave
February 3, 2010, 09:34 AM
Shut up you dirty filthy nasty leg.
Did I miss something?

Marlin 45 carbine
February 3, 2010, 09:41 AM
if shrapnel counts then yes. I still have a small piece deep in my ankle.

Tim the student
February 3, 2010, 10:06 AM
Nope, but I've treated a fair amount of GSW's, and they all looked painful as hell.

I'm glad I never got shot, and I hope I never do in the future.

Joshua M.
February 3, 2010, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE][Twice in combat. One in the leg thats still there and has caused me pain sometimes excruciating for over 40 years. The other was in an unmentionable place and hurt like hell initially but doesn't bother me any more. 2 years ago I was shot thru the hand with an arrow and that was terribly painful also. I love the movies where people get hit in the most complicated joint(shoulder) in their body and stuff a dirty handkerchief in the hole and shrug it off. Bullet wounds hurt real bad and may never stop hurting.Be Careful Gentlemen. FRJ /QUOTE].................................................Thank You for your service...and all the other ones here as well...-Joshua

wishin
February 3, 2010, 10:44 AM
Kinda sorta. Got shrapnel in my cheek. A lot of blood for a brief time. A piece of it came to the surface about 10 years later.

627PCFan
February 3, 2010, 11:17 AM
Been peppered with Blackcloud #2s at 130 yards on public land. I wasnt impressed.

woodsoup
February 3, 2010, 11:23 AM
Does a fragment from an RPG count as being shot? If so, then yes I've been shot under my right arm.

SouthlandSafes
February 3, 2010, 02:11 PM
Combat wound to the leg. I got it with an AK-47 at long range, thankfully. It went in just below the left knee on the shin, and came back out just below that. The docs said it was just falling and bounced off the leg bone. I found the bullet in the bottom of my pants leg. It felt like being stung by one of those black scorpions we dealt with over in Iraq. Whats worse is everytime its gonna rain I know because that leg get sore as crap. Needless to say the guy who fired it will not get the chance again.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 3, 2010, 02:44 PM
I've hit my self on the inside of my right knee with a 7.62x54R 147gr pill. More of a grazing shot really, but it did some damage. I've got a bad knee now because of it. It isn't fun. It really burns, really aches, and that's just grazing, only hitting about an inch of skin. Still aches a little bit today when I take a wrong step or move it a wierd way.
It happened when shooting at an old bike. Don't ask me how, but I heard a pang and a split second later my leg swooped out from under me. I've got pictures somewhere around here (on a flashdrive) if I can find it. It happened a couple years ago.

I've also cut the base of my right index finger with my "Original Bowie Knife" (Go to post #50 (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=498462&page=2)). I severed the nerve on the outside of my index finger (next to webbing of the thumb), so I won't feel the outside of my finger anymore. But it was a burning sensation like the knee a few years before, but not as bad of pain.

NMGonzo
February 3, 2010, 06:47 PM
Ricochet by 7.62 nato on the shin.

I was more scared than wounded.

shootr
February 3, 2010, 07:54 PM
Reading through this thread makes me realize I was right a long time ago when I figured out I don't ever want to be shot!!

All you guys wounded in the line of duty -- "Thank you for your service!"

Enachos
February 3, 2010, 08:26 PM
Two weekends ago my buddy picked up an XD .45. The day after he was sitting in a buddy's car comparing his XD to my buddy's XDm .40 and didn't know he had a round in the chamber of his .45 and somehow pulled the trigger and shot himself right between the tibia and the fibula. He was so lucky it didn't hit bone and that it was only a FMJ and not a hollopoint! He's still recovering... tsk tsk

C-grunt
February 3, 2010, 09:24 PM
double post......

C-grunt
February 3, 2010, 09:25 PM
WOW, I bet that hurt like hell...

Live round or inert?
Live round. Split the top of his boot. Distance of about 6-8 inches.

Fatelvis
February 3, 2010, 09:51 PM
.454 Casull through my chest. Casull revolver fell on its hammer while I was bending over, and went off. It was my favorite 300 grn. XTP load, Hog hunting in Texas. I'm still here to write this!

C-grunt
February 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
Thread Winner!!!!

double bogey
February 3, 2010, 10:50 PM
Saw my father in law shoot his self in the back of his calf with his Ruger single six while fast drawing. 22, lucky it wasn't his .357.

Shot my 10 yr. old daughter while quail hunting. About 35 yds. with #8 shot. Had 12 pellets in leg under blue jeans, 6 in arm, (short sleeved shirt, down vest), 2 in finger and thumb. The ones under jeans fell out, ones in arms squeezed out, finger and thumb pellets had to be removed 3 yrs. later. Very lucky she wasn't hurt bad. I never saw her, and don't know how she got around beside me. Ever since, when quail hunting, we wear orange and safety glasses. 17 years later I still feel bad. also go way out of the way to make sure I know where all parties are at. also won't hunt with anyone I don't trust.

sigsteve
February 3, 2010, 11:00 PM
I haven't, but this is a very interesting thread from 1911forum about a guy who was shot in a holdup and also shot the assailant. Very wild story and pics!

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=257561

Working Man
February 4, 2010, 12:33 AM
This is from a post of mine a few years ago:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=163220

At the very least, this topic needs a certain amount of respect.

Palehorseman
February 4, 2010, 04:27 AM
Yep, back in the 1960s with a High Standard .22 pistol. Was trout fishing up on the Rim at Tom's Creek in Arizona, little sidewinder buzz tail rattled at me. I pulled the pistol, jacked one in and blew it's head off. Had the holster on the belt, but in my hip pocket, and there things went wrong. It was the wife's gun and I had told her a 100 times that due to the phony easily disengaged safety, never carry it with a round in the chamber, but forgot my own advice. I reached around to put pistol back into the holster, the holster hold down strap got into the trigger guard, when pistol did not go in, I manipulated it back and forth, taking it off safe, shoved down and "BAM." Bullet entered high on back of my thigh, traveled through meat 16 inches and lodged behind the knee. It hurt like hell after a few minutes, was told by the doctor who took it out at the Payson hospital I was lucky, (didn't feel like it) the bullet was resting between the main nerve column and artery. Was off work for several weeks.

I learned two things that day, a .22 rimfire has very good penetration, and stupidity with guns can get someone hurt.

Deus Machina
February 4, 2010, 05:16 AM
.454 Casull through my chest. Casull revolver fell on its hammer while I was bending over, and went off. It was my favorite 300 grn. XTP load, Hog hunting in Texas. I'm still here to write this!

Gods above, man! You win.

But now I'm thinking you may want to change your hog load.

Fatelvis
February 4, 2010, 06:50 AM
Deus, that was in 1994, at the time that was one of about three of the best HP bullets available. Also, it was an older style Casull revolver, that did not have a safety. I understand they currently do? I bought the gun used, without a manual, and carried it with all 5 rounds in the cylinder/hammer down on a live one. I figures if Ruger had the safety issue figured out, then certainly the $900 (at the time) Casull did also. Oh how Ignorance sucks! LOL

Deus Machina
February 4, 2010, 07:57 AM
Oh, not ragging on the gun. No firing pin safety=just don't drop it. That obviously doesn't always work, accidents happen, nobody's fault, just bad luck. Very glad to hear you're still kickin'.

But now that there are a larger selection of JHP and the load's been--ahem--tested, you may think about selecting one that expands faster. Your average hog is tough, and eventually PETA is going to get in the habit of following hunters and calling an ambulance. You want to be able to claim the hog before the paramedics can. ;)

Jase
February 5, 2010, 04:14 AM
Twice shrapnel wounded in Viet Nam, then got hit with ten rounds from 7.62x54 Russian squad machine gun. lost lung, kidney, most of intestines, part of arm and a leg wound. I was very, very lucky. Spent years in intensive care and many operations. I am very glad to be alive, but very sorry to see what is
happening to my country.

THE DARK KNIGHT
February 5, 2010, 04:17 AM
.22lr as a younger man. Ricochet shooting at the dump.

Oh cool, you went shooting in NJ? rofl

rocky branch
February 5, 2010, 10:14 AM
A NVA bounced an AK round off my shin ito my opposite thigh.

Hurt some, but too occupied to cry about it.

I was changing positions to get a better view and got another in one lung.

That one hurt and is still there.

A month later I was back in the field.
Youth and determination will overcome a lot of things.

ZO6Vettever
February 5, 2010, 01:44 PM
Two BB hits, rocksalt in the arm, OUCH and a casing ejected from an M-60 broke my glasses and just got some glass in the eye.

trex1310
February 5, 2010, 10:40 PM
An NVA sniper fired a round at me while I was on my back on the ground.
The bullet grazed the front of my helmet and went through my right
foot and lodged in the sole of my boot. It hurt like hell and still does
occasionally.

Quigley_Sharps
February 5, 2010, 10:53 PM
One dark night several shots later I took one in the palm of my left hand, One in my left knee same time, they went numb then an hour later at the hospital the feeling started to come back.
I should have bobbed in stead of weaving, :scrutiny:

mike4guns
February 6, 2010, 01:23 PM

MinnMooney
February 6, 2010, 02:33 PM
Does a BB count? :rolleyes:

My brother shot me in the back of the leg (through denim jeans) just to see if it hurt............ plus, he was a little mad at me if I remember correctly).

Yeah, it hurt but not much. Slight red mark.

mokin
February 7, 2010, 12:23 AM
I was hit by shrapnel in the right leg and a ricochet in the left leg. I didn't feel the shrapnel until well after the fact. It didn't even bleed that much. I think the shrapnel worked its' way out. The ricochet on the other hand hurt like hell and still aches on occasion. There is still a slight lump where the ricochet is.

doc2rn
February 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
7.62x39 to neck between C-2 and C-3
Machette Left forearm
Handgrenade Right Dorsal Aspect with shrapnel through leg and scrotum

They all had that exposed nerve burning sensation.

Resto Guy
February 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
jase, you are indeed a lucky man, but it has to me more than luck that kept you here. For those injuries to be survivable in the battlefield even today would be considered a miracle.
Even though we have not met, you have my utmost respect. THANK YOU jase, for serving our country and for your sacrfices. You Sir, are one tough Dude!

JBoss
February 7, 2010, 02:16 PM
I was shooting with a friend who had just purchased a used .357 Mag. D.A. revolver when I felt a stinging in my hand. It turned out that the revolver had a sprung crane and was shaving lead. I removed 4 - 5 lead shavings with a pocket knife, but missed one that was nestled up against a bone. I was wearing glasses and am very glad it the shavings didn't get blown into my eyes

Lesson learned: Get revolvers checked for cylinder/barrel alignment.

LordDunsany
February 7, 2010, 04:18 PM
Had a 22 short ricochet hit my right eye when I was a little kid. Eye turned black and my vision in that eye has been a bit wonky ever since. Peppered with birdshot a couple of times but didn't break the skin. Caught a full-on ricochet from a 45LC during a SASS event... it left a mark (sort of like a baseball bat)! That smarted but didn't bleed much.

Ron

Aquila
February 7, 2010, 06:05 PM
In the hand. 9mm +P. Hurts. IMMEDIATELY. LOTS of adrenaline. You'll find out how much control you have over your body.

Avoid it with all your heart and actions. Really screws your day - and many days to come with surgeries, therapy, etc. However, I say prepare for it. If it happens, God forbid, you need to "know" what to expect and how to defeat/overcome it and continue the fight. I'm still here so I did something 'right'.

EChryst
February 7, 2010, 08:20 PM
Shut up you dirty filthy nasty leg.
HAHAHAHAH!

I don't really know why this came about, but there's no reason necessary. A leg is a leg is a leg.

ATW for sure.

Jonah71
February 8, 2010, 12:56 PM
Yes. I didn't like it.

rocky branch
February 8, 2010, 02:49 PM
HAHAHAHAH!

I don't really know why this came about, but there's no reason necessary. A leg is a leg is a leg.

ATW for sure.
ATW for sure.

Up the hill and over the hill!

Airborne!

Highland Ranger
February 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
44 special to the foot - ricochet at an indoor range. Shoe took the damage.

I don't shoot indoors anymore.

SpeedAKL
February 8, 2010, 04:12 PM
Some amazing stories here. Many of you people are lucky to be alive!!!

Reading this thread makes me thank the Lord for every day I have on this Earth. Everyone STAY SAFE out there when enjoying our shooting sports, and for those who put themselves in harm's way in the line of duty, may God keep you safe and sound.

Jase
February 19, 2010, 06:32 AM
Resto Guy.

It was incredible luck that we were flying in pairs and the leadship did not get hit, was able to get the mg nest that got us and was able to land nearby and get me and the rest of us to a field hospital I was watching them cut my clothes off and then cut me open and start pulling out and and trying to repair
my insides as a medic frantically tried to find a vein, and then as he put a needle in me he said count backwards from 10. It was the pure skill of a couple of very young Army surgeons cutting and sewing on me for hours on end. I guess it was a lot of luck that the God I prayed to listened and answered. On the other hand, I think it was love.

bkjeffrey
February 19, 2010, 10:43 PM
I got shot through the knee a few days ago with a 9mm from about two feet away. I watched the whole thing, saw the muzzle blast watched the bullet tear through my pants. I didnt feel a thing. I actually sat there on on the couch and told my buddy to call 911 and stop freaking out. I didnt feel anything until I came out of the operating room later that nite. The staples were a little sore.

harmonic
February 19, 2010, 10:48 PM
Has anyone here suffered a gunshot wound?

No, but daddy made me get my own switch to whip me with, once.

Cpt. America
February 20, 2010, 12:02 AM
unfortunatly, its a yes. I would not recommend it.

thisguy1157
February 20, 2010, 01:56 AM
A friend actually had an accident the other week, took a 7.62x25 from a CZ52 to the right thigh. Obliterated the femur completely, knicked the femoral, lost alot of blood... Doin alright now though, still tryin to figure out what happened.

mptrimshop
February 20, 2010, 02:35 AM
call me crazy but i can't beleave how many of you have been shot....... i would have expected 4-5...but damn. I think i might be in the wrong sport...sounds like it's bound to happen if you shot long enuf.

bkjeffrey
February 20, 2010, 03:46 AM
9mil through the knee took out the popliteal artery. Lost almost 4 quarts of blood from the entrance and exit wounds. Surgeons had to remove about 4 inches of saphenous vein from my upper thigh to graft into the artery behind my knee. The swelling in my calf was so bad the doc had to slice my claf down both sides to relieve swelling. Ive got about 134 staples in there right now. The inside of my left leg is stapled from my nuts to my ankle and the outside is stapled from my knee to my foot. All this because of a neglegent discharge. Lesson Learned......Never assume a weapon is not loaded!

Cpt. America
February 20, 2010, 04:05 AM
Former Army and current LEO. Call me catious but I don't F--- around with guns. And some of these, could have been avoided.

Backpacker33
February 20, 2010, 09:42 AM
Shot in the head by an eight-yr-old, with a .22 rifle. He told the cops he just wanted to see what would happen. Bled a lot, hurt real bad. Cracked the bone just above my right temple, left me batty for a bit. All the blood scared crap out of every one who saw.

Second time, 28-yr-old miscreant with a Glock 17 and Federal Hydra Shok. Penetrated my overcoat, suit, body armor, my rib cage 4 inches below the nipple and slightly posterior. Bled a lot, hurt real bad. Other team members ventillated perp with .223, said he was dead before I hit the ground. I was, unfortunately, conscious if notably disoriented.

Surgery made a small hole bigger. Lived with tubes sticking out for a while. Internal organs, especially liver and right lung, were terribly upset, took months to forgive me. A bout with sempticemia was most entertaining; for a few days, Medical personnel approached only while wearing protective clothing and face sheilds. Complete recovery took just over a year.

Like others who posted about Vietnam, I was distressingly close by when the highly respected NVA artillery used my position to zero their guns. Took shrapnel through both legs, left worse. Didn't feel a thing at the time: The concussion and subsequent earth evacuation left me significantly "relaxed." Follwed by loverly chopper ride to Danang. Remember the nurses in the TV show "China Beach?" Mine all had five-o'clock shadow but I loved every one of them. Still treasure the pic of me with IV, stylish compression bandages on left leg, wheelchair, Army male nurses grinning over my shoulders. A banged up USAF pilot was a novelty for them.
-Backpacker

Elm Creek Smith
February 21, 2010, 02:52 AM
Never shot. I have almost lost my left thumb to knife wounds. The big cut in the web between my thumb and index finger just felt like someone hit me there with a stick. The deep one over the knuckle of my thumb just below the thumbnail slid along the bone on the inside and came out on the palm side joint just above the meaty part of my thumb. That one burned like hell. Seeing the bone didn't help either. A controlled pair of .357 Magnums from a 3 inch Model 65 stopped further damage to my hand.

ECS

Fleetman
February 21, 2010, 12:02 PM
I haven't been shot but shot a friend of mine once....

I shot a lot of skeet in my younger days and reloaded for my 870 20 ga. A friend of mine was coming over that day and, as usual, I was reloading. I spied my dad's paperpunch and noticed it was chock full of little paper chads. Yup, you guessed it, before I knew it I was loading up a shell with chads instead of shot....packed it pretty tight too. I thought it would be pretty funny to blow a load of chads over my friend.

When my friend was coming down the steps to my bedroom I pulled the trigger....you can't begin to imagine my feelings when he was hit dead center chest and went down. Luckily, his sweatshirt and coat absorbed most of the impact and, while badly bruised, lived to thoroughly smack me around. The "shot" column never opened up and he was hit with a plastic wad full of compressed paper chads.

A fourteen year old with no parents home, pound of Unique, paper chads, a little bit of boredom, and a badly underestimated understanding of shotguns power almost resulted in a disaster. Lesson learned!!

gordy
February 21, 2010, 04:17 PM
Had a bounce back with a 7.62x39, hit me in the shoulder just above the coller bone. My brother was shooting at a fridge at about 100 ft. and the darn thing came back and bit me. hurt like you can't beleave. can't and don't to know what it would be like to not have the bounce back inbetween.
I made my brother take picures but they are on film.( 20 years ago.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone here suffered a gunshot wound?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!