Beretta Tomcat question

PDA

Uncle Alvah
December 11, 2009, 02:00 PM
I was looking at a used Beretta Tomcat in a local shop.

When you push on the barrel release lever, the barrel pops up as it should, but I also noticed that the rest of the slide kinda jumps up a bit as well.
To explain a bit further, with the barrel latched, the lower front edge of the slide aligns pretty much with the top of the barrel pivot pin. If you hit the release, the slide jumps up on the front end(inclines) so that there's a distance of about 1/4 inch between the top of the pivot and the bottom of the slide. Actually, you can see right under the slide on that end. If you hold the slide down with your finger and work the latch, the barrel pops up and can be latched back down in the regular manner one would expect.
There was no other pistol like it to compare it to in the store, so I'm asking for help here.

Is this pistol broken?

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Tomcat question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mark whiz
December 11, 2009, 11:03 PM
I haven't handled a Tomcat in about 4 years - but that does not sound normal.
It may not be broken, but the slide may not be correctly installed on the frame - they can be a little particular to put together.

However, unless this is one of the Inox (stainless steel) models - the frame will be broken (if not already) if you shoot it much. Look for cracks or a small chunk of the frame missing at the top of the right side of the frame - next to the linkage that releases the barrel to be tipped up. Also, check the handgrips for signs of cracking, mine completely shattered after about a year of moderate use - that little gun vibrates a LOT and loosens screws - causing the grips to spider-crack around the screw holes as they loosen.

MICHAEL T
December 11, 2009, 11:42 PM
I think I would pass Can't say about the Tomcat but I have 3 of the tip up barrell in 25 and its same basic design None of them do it

benderx4
December 12, 2009, 10:03 AM
I've got a Beretta Jetfire in .25 and it doesn't do that. Sounds like the slide isn't installed correctly.

coondogger
December 12, 2009, 04:32 PM
I use a Tomcat for a 'dress' carry gun. No, this is not normal. When the barrel is released, the slide should not move. Not one iota.

Uncle Alvah
December 14, 2009, 04:04 PM
I looked at this gun a bit further.
It seems that if the hammer is ALL the way down, it puts foward pressure on the slide and it remains "latched" in place, that is, the slide does not ride up when the barrel is raised, it works as would be expected. However ,if the hammer is cocked back at even the first notch, the slide is free to pop up as described previously. Still not sure if thats normal operation......

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Tomcat question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!