New to 45ACP

PDA

atlanticfire
December 11, 2009, 07:05 PM
So I have been loading quite a while now, all the bigger stuff from 357 to 500 in pistols and all my rifles from 22-250 to 300wby. I've never loaded for auto pistol cals before. But I'm finding it to expensive to get quality 45 auto. I found a powder cheap from Winchester called Auto Comp. Anyone know anything about it or experience? I will be shooting it in a 1911 full size. Its just a paper shooting gun, not carry or anything like that. Thanks for any info.

Also how to you keep track of this brass when shooting?
:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "New to 45ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
madd0c
December 11, 2009, 07:11 PM
Atlantic,
Don't have any experience with that powder, but if you mean how to keep track of the brass when shooting as in where it ejects, the way I do it is to lay out a tarp behind and to the right of where i am shooting to catch the brass. The 1911 is not a consistent ejector(at least mine isn't) it will launch cases 10 or so feet most of the time, but occasionally more or less so i put out a 10' square tarp and know I am gonna loose 1 or 2 out of a box of 50.

If you mean how do you keep track of how many times you have reloaded the case, some people use sharpies, and some people just toss the cases when it shows signs of damage/wear. I have only reloaded my 45ACP about 5 or 6 times, so I haven't had any signs of damaged or fatigued cases.

I hope this helps, and i am sure some of the more experienced people will have more to add.
madd0c

soloban
December 11, 2009, 09:09 PM
I've had good luck with the following combo:

Powder: IMR 700x or Alliant Power Pistol. (both are about $20/lb at Gander Mtn.)
Primers: Fiocchi Large Pistol Primers (~$45/1500 at Cabelas)
Bullets: Rainier LeadSafe 230 Gr FMJ ($19.29/100 at MidwayUSA)

700x or Power Pistol gives a nice manageable recoil in my full-sized 1911 and is quite an accurate load.

I don't track my brass. I just shoot them and occasionally will trim the cases and check for cracked or split cases and just toss them if they are bad. I'm also shooting a 1911 and it tosses the cases all over the range. Sometimes 10' in front of me sometimes 10' behind me.

Ol` Joe
December 11, 2009, 09:13 PM
I don't track my brass. I just shoot them and occasionally will trim the cases and check for cracked or split cases and just toss them if they are bad. I'm also shooting a 1911 and it tosses the cases all over the range. Sometimes 10' in front of me sometimes 10' behind me.

I seem to always lose mine in the grass long before this point.

rfwobbly
December 11, 2009, 09:21 PM
My understanding is that AutopComp is a new powder especially for auto pistols such as 45ACP. I have never tried it, there are tens of great powders for the 45ACP and I chose my favorites years ago. You may find it hard to get load data without going to the on-line Hodgdon site which has all the Winchester data.

Just Google "Hodgdon reloading data" and you'll get there.

EddieNFL
December 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
I switched to Autocomp last month. I'm loading 6.6 grains under a 200SWC. This easily makes power factor with an average of 870ish FPS and an SD of 9 (20 rounds chrono'ed). Accuracy is as good as any other powder I've used. My best group offhand is just over two inches; not bad for failing eyes.

Like Solo, I don't track. Rarely have to toss a case as I lose them before they wear out. I've loaded some until the headstamp is almost illegible. I never have trimmed one, though.

I recently made a brass catcher with a fishnet. Catches about 95 percent.

Walkalong
December 11, 2009, 09:33 PM
AutoComp was supposed to be good for the competition guns using a compensator. Don't know how it is doing in that arena. It is a bit slow for .45 ACP, IMHO. Not that it would not work.

W-231, WST, N310, Competiton, Solo 1000, 700X, Clays, AA #2, WSF, N320, AA #5, and others all work well in .45.

Finding brass? Get on yer knees and crawl man. :D

EddieNFL
December 11, 2009, 09:52 PM
Finding brass? Get on yer knees and crawl man.

Too painful.

Walkalong
December 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
Too painful.
You'll never make an auto guy. :neener:

It's either your knees or your back. :D

EddieNFL
December 11, 2009, 10:16 PM
Can't remember the last time I shot a handgun that didn't start with the number 19 and I do quite a bit of AR shooting.

I lose about 20 percent of what I shoot. Fortunately, I acquired a pretty good stash of brass during my AD days with Uncle. I figure I can't use it all up before I die, so I leave a little for the scroungers. I like being charitable.

LightningMan
December 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
I have found that if you change the spring out to a heavier one, the brass will not eject as far. My Kimber came with a 16 lb spring and ejected that brass a long way away, swictched to a 24 lb spring and now the brass only eject out about half the distance as before. LM

atlanticfire
December 11, 2009, 11:14 PM
Eddie, what are you picking it up per pound for. I might have a deal going on a quantity. That’s another reason I ask about it. Looks like I can pick it up pretty inexpensive. Thanks for all the info guys.

Clarence
December 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
I always try to the get the lane farthest on the right at the indoor range I shoot at which makes keeping track of my brass easy.

Far as loads go I prefer Bullseye to any other powder for the .45 ACP

I've been shooting 4.0 gr of Bullseye with a 200 gr SWC for a long time and never found a reason to change.

EddieNFL
December 12, 2009, 08:15 AM
Atlantic, the brass I have was acquired before I retired from Uncle Sam. The price can't be beat. Seems the going rate these days is around $65 per K.

Walkalong
December 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
before I retired from Uncle Sam. The price can't be beatI bet. :D

Radaray
December 12, 2009, 03:07 PM
45ACP is a real joy to load! Not particular about powder or bullet weights. Very easy to load. Most fast to meduim burn rates work fine, and anything from 185 grain to 230 is a snap.
I've never trimmed a case~~~never found a need to. Pay very little attention to case age (as long as they pass a visual inspection, I load and shoot them) but I don't shoot competition~~~just fart around.
I usually load the cheapest, most efficient powder I can find, usually Bullseye or anything in that range. W-231 goes a long way, too. Seldom go for the hot loads, as I've never found making holes in paper required much energy. Easier on my hands, too.

Noveldoc
December 12, 2009, 03:31 PM
Have had excellent luck with Bullseye when I could get it and now Titegroup.

Personally had bad luck with high power spring, tore the crap out of my buffer.

I use about 2/3 max for target work.

Friendswood Bullet Co on the net had a very nice lead RN flat point 200 gr at a good price. If you shop and use lead bullets, 45 ACP reloads can be very inexpensive.

Of course that means I just shoot more. ;-)

Tom

atlanticfire
December 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
OK, Im going to try the Auto Comp. If anyone is intrested I can get $20 per lb. And there is alot of it.

EddieNFL
December 12, 2009, 06:52 PM
Unless you're buying a single pound, $20 is a bit high. Ordering in bulk, including S&H and HAZMAT fees you should be able to come in under $16 per pound.

Not a bad idea to buy a single and be sure you want to stick with it, though.

atlanticfire
December 12, 2009, 09:04 PM
There is over 60lbs available. The $20 would be shipping included if 10 or more lbs are purchased.

EddieNFL
December 12, 2009, 09:18 PM
Still three to four bucks per pound more, depending on where it has to be shipped to and how much you order.

I've had good luck with combined orders. A friend usually orders with me. That decreases the impact of HAZMAT and S&H. PV will ship up to 48 lbs in a single package and will mix primers and powder. Our last shipment was two boxes.:D

chris in va
December 13, 2009, 02:57 PM
You guys hear about that new Brass Magnet? Picks them up really well. Some sort of new technology...and it's cheap.
:neener::D

Wilburt
December 13, 2009, 10:46 PM
before I retired from Uncle Sam. The price can't be beat

I just got some myself... About 4000 9mm. Love it when they don't need it back and it was brand new Fed American Eagle :D

nulfisin
December 13, 2009, 10:53 PM
For most handgun rounds, HP-38 is very good. There's plenty of load data around too, partly because it's equivalent to Winchester 231 and, I think, something under the IMR name. There's no good reason for these three powders not to cost the same -- but they don't at times.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to 45ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!