Choosing between Marlin 336C or W

PDA

dak0ta
December 11, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Guys,

Is there any advantage of owning a 336C besides the asthetics of the gun? The W is cheaper and I feel like if I were hunting and using it at the range, it would be better because the hardwood is harder and stronger than walnut. Also, dings and scratches wouldn't matter as much.

The 336 C has a fluted comb, what does that do? Also, there's the bullseye on the pistol grip cap. Does the rubber recoil pad do much dampening as opposed to the W's hard butt plate?

Any other differences? I hear that the blueing is better on the C too. Not sure of that.

Are the internals better polished? Better semi-buckhorn sights? Gold trigger?

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing between Marlin 336C or W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dak0ta
December 12, 2009, 12:12 AM
Sorry Wrong forum.

Fred Fuller
December 12, 2009, 02:30 AM
No worries...

lpl

CajunBass
December 12, 2009, 06:22 AM
I've owned both and I don't think there is a dimes worth of difference between the "C" and the "W" other than the walnut stock. If you don't mind the hardwood, get the "W".

That's what I did. It's a good shooter and a fine looking rifle if you ask me. I don't know what a new "C" costs now, but around here used ones were going for more than a new "W".

In some ways I like the look of the "W" better. The stock is a very nice color and I like the checkering and the lack of a white spacer on the butt. The "W" also came with sling swivles (and a sling) which the "C" I had years ago didn't have so I had to go buy them.

The other things you mentioned are all cosmetic items. Rather they matter to you is up to you.

They're both good.

Badlander
December 12, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just A matter of wood. both are good guns. Dicks was selling 336A models As their cheap marlin. These have A end cap on the forearm instead of the barrel band. better looking to my eyes.

Mauserguy
December 12, 2009, 03:58 PM
I've got the 336A version with the hardwood stock. It's not as pretty as walnut, in fact it's very bland, but it's nicely checkered and as a shooter I couldn't be happier, in fact, I probably wouldn't shoot a walnut stocked gun as much lest I ding the pretty wood. I love my Marlin!
Mauserguy

nastynatesfish
December 13, 2009, 12:18 AM
I've had both and like the marlin. I don't like the straight grip on the winchester rifle compared to the marlin and also if your wearing a hat while shooting and don't take the winchester away from your shoulder to jack another round in it kicks the empty right into your bill and face. I think the marlins a bit heavier too but not positive

Badlander
December 13, 2009, 07:15 AM
Dicks has the 336 SS for $518. They sure are purty.

jmr40
December 13, 2009, 07:43 AM
20 years from now you will be glad you spent the extra money to buy the nicer rifle and your kids will be glad also when you pass it down to them. The W will shoot just as well, but those dings and scratches will look much worse on the W because it is a white wood with a dark stain that only penetrates a few thousanths of an inch. Those sctatches will stand out like a sore thumb. They will be barely visible on the walnut stocked C and will be proud character marks to remind you of your hunts.

greyling22
December 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
there are schools of thought that say the barrel band method of securing the forend to the barrel (C) is less accurate than the end cap method (W).

I know you can get a synthetic stock for the C model, but not for the W. something I didn't realize until after I bought a W and tried to restock it.

ronto
December 13, 2009, 03:36 PM
The "W" comes with birch wood, a sling, and a gold trigger. The "guts" are the same as the "C".
I bought the "W" to shoot and not to look at or give to my heirs.
Either model will do the job it is designed for and you are making a wise choice with the 336, "W" or "C".

StretchNM
December 13, 2009, 04:41 PM
I've never seen a "W", maybe they're the same in the following regard, I don;t know. The 336C has the poorset wood finish on the stock of any rifle I've ever seen, except for a few BB guns. I don;t know what they're pouring on that walnut, but one can only conclude that they're actually trying to make it look like plastic.

Now, that's not going to stop me from getting one ( :D ). I'll be ordering one in .35 Remington, but I'll be holding my nose until I can strip the stock and refinish it.

snakeman
December 13, 2009, 05:03 PM
I would go for the w and drop it in a ramline camo stock.

Roadkill
December 13, 2009, 05:09 PM
I've had/hunted with both. Deer don't know any difference. Currently have an early 336 without the cross bolt safety, found in pawn shop for $175, shows wear but works well. Killed two deer with it already this year. Shot two with it last year. very good guns, great hunters.

Vicious-Peanut
December 13, 2009, 05:23 PM
I love my 'C'.

Big Russ
December 13, 2009, 05:49 PM
I always thought the "W" stood for Walmart cause that's the only Marlin 30-30 I ever see them sell, but I'll buy walnut too :P

jmr40
December 13, 2009, 08:04 PM
They sell a lot of W's at Walmart, but they are not exclusive to them. Simply Marlins budget version of the 336

Nicodemus38
December 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
i dont see how the people can think the w is a crappo cheapo version for the illiterate masses. the one i bought 10 years ago, the walnut stuck is the nicest ive ever seen. most people think i had a custom presentation stock put on it.

barrel band on the w is the best decoration.

Vicious-Peanut
December 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
i dont see how the people can think the w is a crappo cheapo version for the illiterate masses. the one i bought 10 years ago, the walnut stuck is the nicest ive ever seen. most people think i had a custom presentation stock put on it.

I believe the C is the walnut stock. I have a C, and it has a beautiful walnut stock on it.

CajunBass
December 13, 2009, 11:37 PM
I've never seen a "W", maybe they're the same in the following regard, I don;t know.

Well here's a picture of mine. I like the color myself as I said earlier and it's a very nice finish.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/000_0030.jpg

dak0ta
December 14, 2009, 12:20 AM
The C walnut stock is fluted while the W's stock isn't. What does a fluted stock do?

SwampWolf
December 14, 2009, 07:37 PM
Plays a tune.

Big Russ
December 14, 2009, 10:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, I own a 336W and it's by far one of the most gorgeous and pristine guns in my collection. That was the opinion I read off other firearm forums - not my own.

ghitch75
December 15, 2009, 10:41 AM
here is a pic of my W....i'm lookin' for a factory rear sight for it...someone took it off when they put a scope on it....

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing between Marlin 336C or W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!