Aguila Subsonic 38gn Ammo?

PDA

Joshua M. Smith
December 11, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hello,

I picked up 500 rounds of Aguila Super Extra 38gn subsonic.

Nobody has the SSS 60 grain stuff.

Seems there's a formula that goes something like Proper Twist = (150 X bullet diameter) /(bullet length / bullet diameter). The 36gn needs a bit slower and the 40gn seems to like 1:15 according to this formula, but the 38gn is perfect with the 1:16 twist. All theoretical.

Anyway, I gave it a quick run and it seems promising. I have to dial more to get 100 yards, but since it starts out at 1025fps or so, I don't have to worry as much about wind and transsonic speeds.

Do you have any experience with this stuff, and what are your opinions?

Josh <><

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguila Subsonic 38gn Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SharpsDressedMan
December 12, 2009, 12:11 AM
Two thumbs up. Accurate, fairly clean, consistent. It's all I use now, and operates all the semi auto pistols I use it in (only use it in a bolt rifle at present.)

rangerruck
December 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
chances are, unless you have a specific bbl, or a remmy speedmaster, or one of the other remmy ' master ' series, you could not fire the 60 grainers without keyholeing them anyway. They require a 1 / 12 twist or better, just like a 223 needs , with 60 grainers.
all other 22 lr ammo does fine with a 1/16 twist; from the 29 grainers, up to the 45 grainers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguila Subsonic 38gn Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!