What do you lube your AR up with?

PDA

Mags
December 12, 2009, 02:57 PM
What do you guys use to lube your ARs with, and how often do you have to do it during a long range session/training class?

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you lube your AR up with?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
December 12, 2009, 03:19 PM
Aeroshell Fluid 18.

$26 a gallon gun oil. More info here: http://www.aerospace.sk/product-info/aeroshell_fluid_18/869

BSW

SlamFire1
December 12, 2009, 03:42 PM
I used light greases, that was not successful. Grease was hard to remove when cleaning.

Oils, such as breakfree, Mobil 1, do a better job of dissolving the filth this design blows into its action. Oils wiped up quick and took the fouling with it.

I like LSA in summer.

This rifle is really not that sensitive to the type of oil used.

Just keep it clean and lubricated and it will function.

Welding Rod
December 12, 2009, 03:47 PM
I like Tetra oil.

bomb dropper
December 12, 2009, 04:02 PM
clp thats all i need. Ive used some dry powder stuff that worked great but clp is the right price and I know it works

as37692
December 12, 2009, 04:42 PM
Had to go with Miltec-1, I used it for the first time in Iraq back in 2005. Since then it's been the only oil I've used on any of my firearms.

happygeek
December 12, 2009, 06:57 PM
I've put a light coat of CLP on the outside of the bolt carrier before firing 1800 rounds at a range with zero malfunctions. Used the same method the day prior and put about 1200 rounds through it with one malfunction, and that was due to a faulty mag. Spent 3 hours plus the 3rd day cleaning the thing.

peck1234
December 12, 2009, 07:01 PM
Mobil 1 and Break Free FTW!

Coronach
December 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
My duty gun (an M16A1 that is older than me with a deactivated funswitch) is run on Mobil 1. The ordies have a couple hundred guns in service at this point, thousands of rounds through each, and they all run fine.

Mike

Float Pilot
December 12, 2009, 07:15 PM
Float Pilot's Cold Weather Firearms Lube Test.
Negative 10 to Negative 25 F. Using Bushmaster AR15 5.56mm and Stag A5 6.8mm

In order of effectiveness on AR platforms

Tetra Gun lube: Adheres to bolt carrier. Very slick

FP10 shooters choice Super slick, works to 65 below zero. Best on bolt action rifles

G96 clp Works at 50 below, thin, but leaves coating

Penn Synthetic Reel Oil P/N 92340 Very Fluid, Extremely slippery

Marvel Mystery Oil Very fluid, Very slippery

3 in 1 Oil Fairly fluid, somewhat slippery

LPS-2 Fairly Fluid, somewhat slippery

Klean-Bore Formula 3 Some separation, fairly fluid, somewhat slippery

Tri-Flow Separated, does not adhere or film on metal

Break-Free Separated, somewhat tacky and semi syrup like

Mil-Tech Thick, somewhat tacky, syrup like

Outers Gun Oil Very thick syrup. Tacky

Mil spec MIL4-46000c Lube Oil Separated, some was in thick jell state.

Rem Oil Thick jell, tacky

Boe Shield T-9 Thick Jell, tacky

Corrosion X HD Thick jell, tacky

Ballistol very thick jell. Separation

Exxon Elite 20-50 Syn Av Oil Very Thick, glue like

AeroShell 15-50 Semi Syn Av Oil Very thick, glue like

Maverick223
December 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
FP, looks like Marvel's is the best bet, as it is pretty cheap and works pretty well in cold climates.

:)

lowracer
December 12, 2009, 07:52 PM
Bacon Grease. There's absolutely nothing like bacon grease for lubing firearms. I use it on everything from my Garand to my AR. Smells great too.

Big Russ
December 12, 2009, 07:58 PM
Bacon grease? Really? Never would've thought of that... I've been using Rem Oil for the longest time on all my guns.

Maverick223
December 12, 2009, 08:29 PM
Bacon Grease. There's absolutely nothing like bacon grease for lubing firearms.Especially in cold weather where it becomes bacon jelly or bacon glue. :neener:

41magsnub
December 12, 2009, 08:33 PM
CLP here, it is what I used in the Army and it is what I use now.

CTW
December 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
Mostly clp. I dont see any reason to change something that works.

taliv
December 12, 2009, 10:07 PM
the reason to change from CLP is it doesn't C L or P well.

If i was a collector, i'd certainly want something that gave more P
as a shooter that likes to go through a lot of rounds in a session, I need something that does a much better job of L, like machine gunner's lube or slip2000.
Its C powers are a joke, not that i C my guns very often

edit: hey floatpilot, i'd like to hear how slip2000 works up there. give it a try if you get an opportunity

Quentin
December 12, 2009, 11:13 PM
Rem Oil here, when I run out I'll give one of the others a try. Honestly WD-40 worked great for me for many years in the hot AZ desert.

Thanks for your cold weather test, Float Pilot! Do you have any normal temperature opinions on some of the better performing oils you listed?

Janos Dracwlya
December 12, 2009, 11:33 PM
I use Ballistol, the same thing I use on all my other guns.

matrem
December 12, 2009, 11:50 PM
the reason to change from CLP is it doesn't C L or P well.
Hmm..
Come to think about it, I always used mineral spirits or brake cleaner with it for the C part.
Usually used synthetic motor oil or Butch's gun oil with it for the L part.
Would rather not talk about how bad I can be at the P part..
Hmmm.
I may need to rethink that CLP thing!

Float Pilot
December 13, 2009, 12:59 AM
Float Pilot! Do you have any normal temperature opinions on some of the better performing oils you listed?

Tetra gun lubricant. You shake it up first and it is fairly thick looking. It stays on the parts of things like machine gun and semi auto just fine. I have used it in a temps from 90 above to 40 below zero F.

It smells weird, like the inside of a wet car trunk...but that is about the only downside.

Shooters choice FP10 is a close second. It creeps better and is good for things like an issue M9 pistol, or for things like sight adjustment assemblies.

I bought some large containers of both and then used some old mini Tabasco sauce bottles (from MREs) so I could have some good lube in my tiny M4 pistol grip cleaning kit.

RonE
December 13, 2009, 01:05 AM
I use WD-40 and LSA (lubricating, semi liquid, arms) I still have a couple of bottles left over from Viet Nam.

c919
December 13, 2009, 02:31 AM
Mobil1 and the rails get greased.

sarduy
December 13, 2009, 02:50 AM
i voted "Other"

i use WD-40 to clean it and then i use Mobil-1 synthetic oil on the bolt.

it works just fire...

Maverick223
December 13, 2009, 03:33 AM
So the AR isn't self-lubricating? I mean it is "self-cleaning"...I figured it must self-lube too. :D :neener:

BIGRETIC
December 13, 2009, 03:49 AM
I use mil-comm tw25b...works for me!

Uncle Mike
December 13, 2009, 03:59 AM
So the AR isn't self-lubricating? I mean it is "self-cleaning"...I figured it must self-lube too.

hehehehehe...nice, Mav!

Protection against rust...Brownell's 'Polar Active Rust Preventive No.2'... Wont gel until reeeeeally cold, neutralizes acids, salts, caustics. Has a high evaporation point.

Lube.... Hot and wet...Teff-Gel 'Thin' Lube, or synthetic gear oil.

Lube.... Cold and wet...Depending on the temperature, from Teff-Gel Thin to synthetic gear lube to Marvel Mystery, Lube Kroil, Militec-1.

rskent
December 13, 2009, 08:39 AM
Breakfree CLP to clean LP to lube
No problem

Steve

lefteyedom
December 14, 2009, 01:35 AM
What ever is on the dipstick will do. There is better but when push comes to shove and you need lube.

RX-178
December 14, 2009, 02:33 AM
I use Rem Oil or CLP, whichever I can get cheaper when I need to stock back up. I might just be drinking the koolaid, but I do think the teflon coating it leave when it dries makes a difference.

Brian Dale
December 14, 2009, 04:42 AM
I've been using CLP. I'll probably switch to Mobil 1, or to the automatic transmission fluid that I use on my other guns. I clean it with Hoppe's and copper solvent before I lubricate it anyway. Thanks for posting this stuff, guys.

nyresq
December 14, 2009, 09:13 AM
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50w synthetic for everything... Clp burns off to easy when it gets hot...

Z-Michigan
December 14, 2009, 11:06 AM
I use a combination.

Metal surfaces initially coated with Boeshield T-9, allowed to dry completely, just a thin coating mostly for corrosion protection.

FP-10 is my main lubricant for the gun, used on all areas except below.

I use an NLGI #1 grease on the bottom of the carrier (where it hits the hammer), on the hammer, and usually but not always on the little rails on the bottom of the carrier. I use the same grease at the trigger/hammer interface when assembling a gun.

This combination works well for me and is what I like. However, FP-10 alone would also do a very good job, and was the only thing I used to use.

Walkalong
December 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
Slip2000 for AR & AK lubing for shooting. Excellent stuff. Adheres well, migrates well, protects from friction well, works well when dirty & lasts a long time.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 14, 2009, 11:48 AM
Other: Bacon Grease!

Uncle Mike
December 14, 2009, 12:09 PM
Other: Bacon Grease!

You know what else works great....Opossum fat!

Walkalong
December 14, 2009, 03:35 PM
Bear fat is better. :D

SSN Vet
December 14, 2009, 03:54 PM
CLP....

isn't it kind of what it was made for...

Mags
December 14, 2009, 04:36 PM
Slip2000 for AR & AK lubing for shooting Your AK needs lube? :)

wishin
December 14, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks Float Pilot. BTW, what were you doing in a wet car trunk?:)

308win
December 14, 2009, 05:05 PM
Dave Berryhill's gun grease on sliding surfaces; ClenzOil on rest.

rcl5445
December 14, 2009, 05:14 PM
Ive been using CLP on my AR without fail. I also strip it down and clean it after every trip to the range which usually involves a couple mags to a couple hundred rounds. So I guess im not a big help for promoting a product.

wishin
December 14, 2009, 10:40 PM
I see where Tetra Gun Lube is used by some, but no mention of their "gun spray" here. I've not used either. Is the lighter spray any good?

HOLY DIVER
December 14, 2009, 11:32 PM
i just found a bottle of tetra gun lube in my cleaning box and after reading this post i cleaned all the CLP off the bolts of all my AR's and lubed them up with tetra

hadmanysons
December 15, 2009, 05:10 AM
Berryhill's Ultimate Gun Lube http://shop.berryhillguns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=53

It's super slick, doesn't run, lasts a long time and doesn't seem (in my experience) to retain dirt and other particles.

RockyMtnTactical
December 15, 2009, 05:39 AM
I've never had a problem with CLP.

Al Thompson
December 15, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm a fan of SLIP 2000, but think it's more important to run'em wet than what you wet'em with. :)

skidooman603
December 15, 2009, 11:25 AM
With all due respect to the moderator Can 52% percent of the entire readership be wrong? CLP

skidooman603
December 15, 2009, 11:29 AM
WOW HappyGeek!!! 3000 rounds in 2 days at the range??!!! Serious business!!:what:

X-Rap
December 15, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'll have to go along with Float Plane, I can think of no worse operating conditions than sub zero for a semi or fa weapon.
Condensation, snow getting into the works all work together to thicken and slow any lube and mechanical devise.
I have heard that in the desert you can piss on a gun to flush and lube if needed, try that at 15 degrees.

wishin
December 15, 2009, 12:21 PM
Of course, a gun doesn't begin to compare with an engine, but both create an enormous amount of friction that can accelerate wear without proper lubrication. Extreme cold does require a lube that protects against that friction without congealing. In extremely hot temps the lube must remain viscous enough to counter friction. Automotive engines have SAE oils of multi-viscosities to allow for normal swings in ambient temps, but in extreme temps either 5 or 10 weight oil is used for super-cold, and 40 or 50 weight oils are used for super-hot unusual conditions. I would be inclined to follow Float Pilot's recommendations based on his test results in the extreme cold, but would like to see similar testing results in an extreme hot climate. Such a test would require thousands of cyles within a prescribed time frame mimicking real world use, in order to be meaningful in terms of the effects on gun wear as well as performance. The fact of the matter is most of us have no idea what kind of wear we're getting from a firearm because we'll be long gone before we fire as many rounds as it takes for it to become significant.

Va Shooter
December 15, 2009, 06:31 PM
Some new FREE stuff called Weapon Shield, so far so good. +52% on CLP.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you lube your AR up with?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!