Optic Security on 700 Rem?

PDA

Welding Rod
December 12, 2009, 03:10 PM
I like Remington Model 700s, however I have always been leary of the 4 tiny inline screws that hold the scope base(s) to the reciever.

The integrated Ruger, Icon, AR, and Tikka systems seem so much better thought out.

Anyone have any problems with the M700 mounting setup?

If you enjoyed reading about "Optic Security on 700 Rem?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pat4x4
December 12, 2009, 03:16 PM
Of the Millions out there I think they hold up rather well

A little blue loctite and you are all good

xm21
December 12, 2009, 03:21 PM
The one I was issued in the Army had no problems with the scope coming loose.

Your fears are unfounded,no need to be leery.

kyle1974
December 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
I think an integrated system is a horrible idea...

I guess you have to hope you never want to change it for some reason...

Maverick223
December 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
I think an integrated system is a horrible idea...I guess you have to hope you never want to change it for some reason...Why...and why would you ever need to change it? The only downfall I can think of for integrated mounts are the inability to use tapered bases in some cases.

As others have said, the screws are plenty strong for any normal application, but if you are seeking a new rifle, I would not suggest a Remington (the quality doesn't match the price IMO). What are you looking to use the rifle for?

:)

dubbleA
December 12, 2009, 07:22 PM
The standard screw used in firearm sight's/bases is the #6x48 and has a track record of holding up well.You could always drill the standard 6-48 out to take a 8-40 screw.

With that said, I have only had one base completely shear of due to recoil and using bigger screws fixed that problem. Have a few precision rifles with 20 moa bases secured with # 8 screws.

madd0c
December 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
For a little more money, I would suggest a Tikka T3. The tactical series has an integrated rail, and I agree with the above poster...why would you ever need to remove it? Rock solid and guaranteed sub MOA out of the box. And it is.

I looked at the 700 series and found that after figuring in the bedding, truing and mounting it was cheaper to buy a T3.

Not trying to start a flame war, I have alot of friends who shoot the 700s with great results, but they usually double the price of the gun by throwing in custom actions, bedding etc. For less than they have spent on wringing every bit of accuracy out of the rifle, I shoot groups just as good with my factory rifle. YMMV.
madd0c

Oh, and after thinking about it, and taking mine out to look the rail is NOT integrated, it is attached with "the 4 little screws" and could be easily removed if you wanted to, so I guess the rail has the same liability as the original question.

kyle1974
December 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
the first issue is that it locks you into a certain type of ring (take sako for example... good luck finiding a wide variety of rings for those intergrated mounts).

the other is that it limits you if you want to install a canted base, or even if you needed to shim it due to a scope running out of MOA travel.

I had a winchester rifle that the reciever must not have been milled correctly on, or was on the end of the spec for the rifle. With three different scopes, and two different bases, I had a very limited amount of elevation travel left on the scopes. Going to a 20 MOA base fixed the issue. that was between a leupold vxIII, a zeiss conquest, and a nikon monarch..... so it wasn't due to junk optics.

can't do that if your base is one piece with the reciever...

of course, if they're all machined perfectly, there's no problem... but if that base is a little high or low....

Maverick223
December 12, 2009, 10:43 PM
can't do that if your base is one piece with the reciever...You can on some P-rail integral mounts. That is my preferred system for a precision rifle (but not a hunting rifle), a P-rail that is machined into the receiver and a one-pc. tapered mount/rings. OTOH I am not a big fan of Tikka/Sako mounts.

:)

madd0c
December 12, 2009, 11:33 PM
The Tikka rail is mil-spec picatinny. Can use any p-rail rings. I have Larue on mine.

Pat4x4
December 13, 2009, 02:54 AM
the p-rail on the tikka bolts on as well.. I have a super varmint(same as tactical except finish, Same receiver as any of them for that matter).. It is machined to follow the contour of the gun (very clean) but is indeed not part of the reciever. When I bought the rifle I thought it was machined into the receiver but found it was not after getting home. and it still has its factory tikka receiver mounts under it

Pat4x4
December 13, 2009, 02:59 AM
dp dfggf

Uncle Mike
December 13, 2009, 03:06 AM
I did a 700 receiver for a guy...he specd. #10-32 mount screws....

Overkill to say the least, IIRC the size was too large for the receiver diameter, as far as looking right.

It worked...he was happy...he went away smiling...that's all that matters!

If you enjoyed reading about "Optic Security on 700 Rem?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!