SKS for $129

PDA

Sportcat
November 10, 2003, 02:17 PM
Local store has new Yugo SKS's for $129... good price?

I don't know much about SKS's, but am intrigued.

What can you tell me about them? Get one, or save up for an AR-15.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS for $129" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dorrin79
November 10, 2003, 02:20 PM
129$ is about the cheapest you can expect to find one, depending on condition.

I paid more than that for my "very good" condition Yugo.

Sportcat
November 10, 2003, 02:22 PM
I've never owned a rifle before, much less an SKS. Is there a "primer" or good introduction to SKS's?

Number 6
November 10, 2003, 02:36 PM
There's tons of information out there on the SKS.

http://www.simonov.net

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

There are a bunch more sites on the internet but those are the ones I have bookmarked.

DougCxx
November 10, 2003, 02:40 PM
Is there a "primer" or good introduction to SKS's?
-Yea, and it goes something like this:
1) First, clean all the cosmoline out of the bore before shooting the first time! Very important!
2) Buy the cheapest steel/Berdan ammo you can find, Russian or Chinese.
3) Do not concern yourself with lack of accuracy, it cannot be helped with any rational amount of work or money. SKS's are junk guns intended to fire junk ammo short distances--"silk purses from sows' ears" and all that.
~

eatatjoes
November 10, 2003, 02:40 PM
go here. (http://www.sksboards.com/forum/)

this is a great sks board. a few posters are continually in communication with the BATF via letters so most of the legal information is much more up to date than the simonov site.

Tropical Z
November 10, 2003, 05:53 PM
First off,SKS's are FAR from junk and a rifle that everybody should own at least one of.If its clean,get it and shoot the heck out of it!;)

son of a gun
November 10, 2003, 06:00 PM
You get what you pay for but there fun affordable guns.:D

Bill Hook
November 10, 2003, 06:03 PM
The cheapest you can expect to find them is from AIM for $89.95.

I/O probably has the best, WGA does not. Cole Dist. may have the best guns for the least money.

go8dalejr
November 10, 2003, 06:29 PM
Not a bad price just don't think you are buying a tack driver some
seem ok others pretty sad but all loads of fun. If you want the best
find a pre-ban sp1 colt ar-15 you will pay but you will have the best
production assult rifle. In my opinion of course.

DougCxx
November 10, 2003, 06:46 PM
----I am not "ripping" on SKS's at all--they are very reliable and don't cost much. They just look clunky and aren't very accurate, and there's not a lot that can be done to help that. So don't waste your time, I says, worrying about tuning or trying expensive ammo.
~

SodaPop
November 10, 2003, 06:47 PM
Most around here are $160

I'd buy one for that price.

I paid $189 for a Russian about 7yrs ago.

SKS rifles are all clunky pieces of junk, that are reliable, and I'd trust my life with them.:)

natedog
November 10, 2003, 07:18 PM
I think what Doug was trying to say was that the fit, finish, and quality is sub-par compared to Western firearms. However, anyone who knows anything about guns will agree that they are MOC (Minute of Capitalist) and will basically work forever.

Coltdriver
November 10, 2003, 07:39 PM
I think pin point accuracy is over rated in a battle weapon.

My brother and I went out and shot a few hundred rounds out of my AK last week end. He had never fired one.

At two hundred yards he could easily hit a pie plate.

You could also pull the trigger as fast as you could and get some fairly impressive rate of fire out of the thing that was also easy to control.

An SKS is in the same league if you ask me. Reliable as you could ask for, can be shot as quickly as you can pull the trigger and accurate enough to give great fear to any opposition.

For the cost of the ammo and the cost of the SKS rifle how you gonna go wrong?

chevrofreak
November 10, 2003, 08:17 PM
If you can find a cheap FFL..............

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Specials_.html

SteelyDan
November 10, 2003, 10:59 PM
Prices seem to have dropped a bit in the last week or two, but a new one for $129 is still a no-brainer.

outdoorman63
November 10, 2003, 11:21 PM
aim has them for 89 shipped

chevrofreak
November 12, 2003, 05:25 AM
aim has them for 89 shipped

You dont say ;)

wild billz
November 19, 2003, 11:11 AM
I ordered the AIM 89 Yugo this mornig. When I spoke to Eric at AIM. He said expect a good to very good rifle, and maybe some accessories. It due here right before Thanbksgiving. When I get it and clean all the cosm off I will post about its condition.

By the way Inter Qrdnance has "new" condition Yugo SKSs for 109, not counting shipping. Thats a great deal, but I've heard varying reports about that out fits customer service, slow sums it up. Must be a small outfit.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
November 19, 2003, 11:29 AM
Those Yugo SKS's are currently the best bang for the buck out there-------come on-- its cheaper than a new 10/22----and they go bang every time.

Get 100 stripper clips from CDNN for $20-----1000 rounds of cheapo ammo and have a blast.

A target rifle its not----but deadly and effective it is(if needed)---just ask the cop who was gunned down here about 8 years ago with an SKS----oh that's right ---you can't.

Yes you should get an SKS---I bought 2(lol).

AND YES you should get an AR-15 when funds permit.

Black92LX
November 19, 2003, 01:43 PM
yeah i need to get myself over to AIM and pick one up considering it's not too far from my house. i was waiting on buying an SAR1 and now they don't have anymore so i guess i should get over there.

Bill Hook
November 19, 2003, 01:44 PM
I got one from I/O inside of a week. My problem is they dropped the price $50 the next week to $109.

Kalos
November 19, 2003, 08:06 PM
Grab the Sks from AIM, black92... I'd the one I picked up at 'very good' and well worth 90 bucks. :) Nice folks, too.

And who says it looks clunky? :P Then again, I think Mosins are nice looking as well... must be the same thing that makes me like intentionally ugly clothes sometimes. ;)

redneck2
November 20, 2003, 06:08 AM
local shop here has mebbe 6 or 8 on the rack. He dropped the price from something like $209 all the way down to $129, and he sez $120 will get one or all out the door.

Market's really fallen off on these.

pistolwhipped
November 20, 2003, 07:10 AM
A NEW Yugo for 129.00 sounds pretty good to me. Cleaned and ready to shoot.
When you get one of the 89.00 Yugos , you take a chance on what is delivered. Numbers may or may not match. Might be rusty or may not. May be stock damaged or may not. See what I'm getting at ? It's a grab bag .

Al Thompson
November 20, 2003, 08:47 AM
Is this Grady's? :) Darn, wish I was closer.... The big draw for selecting from inventory is getting to try the trigger and check the condition. The trigger is the key to a rifle.

Sportcat
November 20, 2003, 08:50 AM
Sale ended last week sometime... I decided not to pick one up.

Yep, it was Grady's. I also like Bucks and Bass on the 29 Bypass.

ScottsGT
November 20, 2003, 10:54 AM
I've had two SKS's. First one I kept all original Norinco and sold it off. Years later, I traded my brother an aftermarket M1 Carbine for his Tanker SKS. Used AK mags, short barrel. Mounter it in a Synthetic stock, installed a muzzel brake and polished the bolt. Brother wanted it back, so I got back the M1 and sold it off. I didn't care for the weight of the SKS. Seemed too heavy, but you have got to at least own one in your lifetime. So I would suggest you go buy it, have fun! Then get a RRA AR-15. But the upper and lower seperatly and save almost $200 in excise tax!
Sportcat, Check your private mail.

wild billz
November 20, 2003, 06:12 PM
its not that much of a grab bag, they specify the conditon of the rifles and if it was as poor as you say you can return it, these are rated as good to very good, with frequesnt reports from others that they are happy with the condiotn, better than advertised. Still 89 bucks for a shooter delivered is a great deal. It cost 13 bucks to deliver it to my house from AIM, thats a 76 dollar rifle, not bad

Bainx
November 20, 2003, 07:08 PM
Sportcat,
Trust me on this one...get the SKS for fun value. Then, when you have the dough, get the AR.:D

Bainx out

railroader
November 23, 2003, 11:43 AM
Here's five rifles that a guy got from interordnance last week, $99 plus shipping. These were posted on the sks forum. The stocks are cosmoline free and rough(need final sanding, maybe some stain) I ordered two I hope they are as nice. One other thing as for accuracy from what I have heard one of the problems with sks accuracy is the cheap russian ammo that everyone seems to use. It's great for blasting but that's about it. Mark

rde
November 23, 2003, 02:18 PM
I picked up a Russian (all matching) SKS about 2 years ago and like it quite well. It is more accurate (using Winchester ammo) than the Mini-14 that I had by about 2 inches at 100 yards from a rest...consistently. Which is one of the main reasons I no longer have a Mini-14. Expect that there will be a diverse level of accuracy, fit, and finish between different SKS rifles..some better or worse..but overall in my humble opinion they make for a pretty decent value.

Another good value that I like are the Saiga rifles. Picked up a 16 inch 7.62 model a while back brand new and am very happy with it as well. And I have no desire to "convert" it to "original" AK configuration. Like it as is. I think maybe these are actually starting to drive the price of the SKS rifles back down..just a theory on my part.

Oh..yes..have a Bushmaster AR as well so it is not like I "can't afford" a "better rifle" and have to "bottom feed" either.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS for $129" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!