Which Springfield M1A?

PDA

W L Johnson
December 14, 2009, 10:13 AM
Alright, after years of wanting one I've almost come to the point of buying one. What I can't decide is about going with wood or synthetic. what I have settled on is 22" stainless barrel with nothing fancy. I am leaning toward wood because I love the look of wood with stainless. Intended use is nothing fancy, just to have.

What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Springfield M1A?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Balrog
December 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
I would go with wood, mainly because it looks better. Plus, most military style rifles are going to be all black, so this one will be different.

longdayjake
December 14, 2009, 11:00 AM
There is no reason to get the synthetic unless you want your m1a as your mall ninja backup gun. If you are going to change the wooden stock that originally went on the rifle then put a sage stock on it or something. The look and feel of the wooden stock completely blows the synthetic out of the water. I liked the wood so much that I went and bought a wooden heat shield.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee232/longdayjake/CIMG2183.jpg

harmonic
December 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
22" barrel length is too long for me. 16" is too short (SOCOM model).

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Scout model. Wood stock, of course.

W L Johnson
December 14, 2009, 12:15 PM
22" barrel length is too long for me. 16" is too short (SOCOM model).
I already have 16" and 20" covered with 2 Armalite AR-10s.

X-Rap
December 14, 2009, 12:39 PM
*** is up with the synthetic stock bashing? I can't think of a time I read that wood is Fudd, or the Camo hat for that matter.
The only reason for synthetic is mall ninja backup, really?
So those of us unwashed who have both are what schizophrenic?

ArmedBear
December 14, 2009, 12:40 PM
I generally like walnut. But hell, it's a military rifle. It's not like we're talking about Grade V walnut and a really elaborate stock design, here. The synthetic isn't "mall ninja" at all, to me. It says, "I'm a rifle to be USED, not a safe queen."

So I personally can't say which one to get, other than whichever one you feel like. I might lean towards synthetic, since I have plenty of walnut already, and it could be a PITA to baby yet another gun, especially a military gun.

There's something to be said for a gun that really doesn't require much babying, just like there's something to be said for a really pretty gun.:)

stubbicatt
December 14, 2009, 01:03 PM
The choices of the poll were limited to wood or synthetic, else the same rifle. I prefer wood, it is a personal preference.

That said, I would consider looking at the shorter barreled varieties of this rifle with the muzzle brake, as in side by side testing on the same day with 3 different testers we determined that followup shots were significantly faster with the brake-equipped rifle than they were with the flash hider equipped model.

These are a fantastic rifle no matter which variant you get. I feel certain you will be happy.

possum
December 14, 2009, 01:13 PM
since there is no real "purpose" for the gun, i would say go with the wood stock. it's a classic look.

Almond27
December 14, 2009, 01:13 PM
I prefer Wood and think wood just fits a M1A better.

Eightball
December 14, 2009, 01:24 PM
Wood's got soul to it. Synthetic, notsomuch.

Picking up my Garand is just........mmmmmm-inducing.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6373/m1garand2xq1.jpg

My AR15 may sure be practical, handy, and all that jazz.....
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1469/img14982ws2.jpg

.....but my M1 Carbine still just "feels" better.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7118/img0409ms6.jpg

Outside of worrying about the wood swelling and affecting your accuracy, I can't think of a reason NOT to go with wood (unless it's on a F/A firearm, in which case wood catches on fire). Then again, I use the heck out of even my wood firearms, and if they get dings or dents....I look at it as "character marks" :D

LoneStarWings
December 14, 2009, 02:10 PM
Synthetic because it's lighter and will probably hold up the elements better.

ArmedBear
December 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
I would consider looking at the shorter barreled varieties of this rifle with the muzzle brake

You can put the brake on the longer rifle, and followup shots will be faster, still.:)

Personally, I don't much care for the stubby versions, since they're still quite heavy. Might as well have a real rifle in return for the weight, and .308 ballistics are mediocre enough with a full-length barrel. Why turn it into a .30-30?

X-Rap
December 14, 2009, 02:22 PM
Why turn it into a .30-30?

Short barreled 308 = 30-30, that's what the Guru's on the internet say so it must be true.
So what is the equivalent to a 30-30 Contender or Encore pistol? 44mag?

edSky
December 14, 2009, 02:23 PM
I went with the wood & carbon barrel. Wood because it's what the M1A/M14 is all about. I am looking to get another M1A and I'm still having a hard time considering a fiberglass stock.

desidog
December 14, 2009, 02:23 PM
Get wood, then go to a gun show and get a synthetic stock for 20 bucks...that is what i did. The wood looks much better, but is heavier. For the range, she wears wood, for bushwhacking after deer and piggies, the beater synthetic goes on.

I also got a wood handguard from brownells. couldn't stand the brown fiberglass....now it's painted white along with the GI synth stock for wintertime hunting. The SS barrel looks pretty sweet with the white get-up. I've been meaning to post some pics.

ArmedBear
December 14, 2009, 02:29 PM
Of course, you're right. The .308 from a 16" barrel is still slightly more powerful than a .30-30 from a Marlin 336.

A 168 grain bullet from a 16" .308 will have about 200 fps on a crappy factory 170 grain .30-30, or about the same velocity as the 160 grain LE round that is a fair comparison.

So it's true. The .308 in a 16" is a little hotter than the ancient hunting round is from a lever gun.:rolleyes:

Look it up.

nbkky71
December 14, 2009, 02:38 PM
While wood does have a nice sexy look to it, synthetic stocks do have their place. If your M1A would ever be subjected to field conditions, a USGI synthetic stock might be a wise choice.

My M1A is bedded in a McMillan synthetic stock, but I think that it's far from being classified as a "mall ninja backup gun".

http://home.roadrunner.com/~nbkky71/M1A/DSC_0203.JPG

X-Rap
December 14, 2009, 02:44 PM
Thats what I thought about my Scout Squad until I started reading this, now I have a Ninja inferiority complex. To short and synthetic, I guess I will have to sell it and get a real gun.

Ryder
December 14, 2009, 04:13 PM
When I bought my pre-owned scout I didn't ask the guy if it was wood or synthetic. Didn't matter because the deal was too good to pass up based on that. I was hoping for wood because I like the looks better, but it wasn't.

I am not disappointed. More important to me is the rubber recoil pad it had. The 308 has fairly mild recoil but I have back problems. The rubber is not very soft but it should help me keep the gun properly positioned compared to a steel butt plate.

If I was buying new I'd get wood :D

longdayjake
December 14, 2009, 04:40 PM
Before everyone gets all angry and upset about my comment, it was made in jest and it was purely an opinion. Thats all. Maybe I should have added a couple of smiley faces to show that I was joking. I own three black rifles, so I'm just as mall ninja as anyone else out there that likes black guns. It was a JOKE!!! Simmer down a little.

I still think that if you are going to take the wood off of an m1a that you should replace it with something like a sage stock. If you want synthetic get a socom or an AR.

Shadow Man
December 14, 2009, 04:46 PM
If the intended use is nothing fancy, then the wood is more asthetically pleasing.

Longdayjake, some people can get all worked up over things. Personally, I don't like being labeled as a mall ninja (I actually despise that term) simply because some of my firearms have black synthetic furniture, but I don't see the need to get all hot and bothered by it. Call me what you will, it is no skin off my nose. Kind of like calling fighter pilots "jet jockies" or artillerymen "cannon cockers" or mech guys "tread heads." Probably not the nicest thing in the world, but no one has died from a few good-natured nicknames being tossed about.

Creature
December 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
Synthetic for me. My big guy looks very similar to this:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/remsenlab/DSC00991.jpg

wishin
December 14, 2009, 04:54 PM
Based on your post, you can't beat the aesthetics of a wood stock on a rifle IMO.

CWL
December 14, 2009, 05:01 PM
Stainless? Might as well make the furniture as corrosion-resistant as the steel. Black and silver looks good together.

Gunfighter123
December 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
I am in the wood/stainless camp for M1As;
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/DSC00871.jpg

Almond27
December 14, 2009, 05:51 PM
Styrofoam underneath your M1A's on top of a down comforter, those must be your pride and joy eh? Nice E2 stock btw

desidog
December 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
Gunfighter123, did you make that stock on the SOCOM? It looks lie a mod'ed wood stock with a wood PG attached- I'd love to know where the PG came from.

It also looks like that setup might break if you butt-stroked someone with it....but cool none-the-less.

Gunfighter123
December 14, 2009, 06:38 PM
The stock/grip came off a BM-59 Nigerian that I had laying around --- I had to mod it a bit as it was close but not a exact match for the M1A ---- can't see it but I used a steel rod about 1/2" thick to reinforce the grip/stock area ---- Just in case I have to butt-stroke some butt-head with it !!!

BTW --- this photo was before it was sanded/stained/polyed.

jdub3
December 14, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm gonna get a Scout with synthetic once I get the $$ together. Man do I want one. I voted synthetic, but either way, you can't go wrong.

No4Mk1*
December 14, 2009, 09:06 PM
My M1A shoots smaller groups with a synthetic stock, so the nice pretty wood stock is leaning against a wall somewhere in the basement and has been doing so for several years now.

Detritus
December 14, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm another one in the "buy it with the walnut, then purchase a synth beater stock for the sloppy or rough days"

for range use or "just having", to my mind wood is what belongs on M1A/M-14 style rifles. and for regular range use or match types where there isn't a high likelihood of the rifle getting "beat up" i'd keep it in wood

that said, if i had, for whatever reason, wanted to hunt with an M1A, or use it in a 3-gun match, or somewhere else where the odds of it being battered around were fairly high, or if it's simply a wet, miserable, nasty day. I'd have it in a synth stock. probably one of the old brown GI fiberglass ones.

X-Rap
December 14, 2009, 10:13 PM
With all this stock changing does it affect accuracy? It seems that changing a stock to go hunting or because the weather is a little rough might change the zero with pressure being different due to screw tension and warped wood.
I have guns with both types but none that I would consider changing over without re zeroing before hunting or any competition.

knights_armorer
December 14, 2009, 10:17 PM
gunfighter, i bet that is one loud little rifle (bottom)

blitzen
December 14, 2009, 10:22 PM
Buy the gun with wood on it because it will be nice. Then buy all the synthetic stocks you want for beatin around with. you can even get old beater stocks from www.fredsm14stocks.com for cheap.

snakeman
December 14, 2009, 10:31 PM
I would get two stocks a synthetic you can paint and a wood when you want to dress it up.

madcratebuilder
December 15, 2009, 07:27 AM
Nothing wrong with synthetic stocks.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/crop1-1.jpg

BUT, something about an M1A and wood that just screams battle rifle.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/crop9.jpg

skidooman603
December 15, 2009, 10:07 AM
My Vote is also "Have Both" Why not? I picked up an Old Camo synthetic for 40.00 and like em both just fine. It's the rifle underneath that really matters anyway...:D

X-Rap
December 15, 2009, 10:18 AM
Do you guys really switch stocks back and forth for purely aesthetic reasons?
Do your rifles hold zero?

Detritus
December 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
Do you guys really switch stocks back and forth for purely aesthetic reasons?
Do your rifles hold zero?

you;re talking about a Battle Rifle design, not a sniper/target rifle

For the most part, the rifles being discussed here are intended to be "battle accurate" (aka Minute-of-deer/man,). Not 1/2-1/4MOA capable bolt guns. additionally many of the folks talking about switching stocks (me included) are speaking of doing so on rifles shot using iron sights not scopes.
given those points, they will "hold zero" after a stock change better than most M1A owners can hold, period.

that said one should if possible check their zero after any change to a rifle.

but for the typical, (standard/loaded)M1A owner using Irons, they'll most likely never notice the POI change from swapping stocks, if there is one.

X-Rap
December 15, 2009, 11:00 AM
So the benifit of keeping a pristene stock for show and a beater for go on a Battle Rifle design is?
I don't have a spare stock for mine nor will I so I will not be able to test but I expect no less than 1.5 moa from mine and using my experience from other rifles I would be surprised to not see that change with a switch out of a stock. At the bare minimum a serious change in zero.
I am only curious since there are so many saying the same thing here and I can't say I have heard of this in other rifles except a few rare times I have heard of a guy changing out a fancy checkered stock on a bolt for hunting which I never quite believed or understood simply because of the trouble and cost of rezero using Weatherby ammo.
To me the whole dual stock thing is like having the Punisher skull grips on a 1911 when at the range but switching back to stock to carry, just doesn't make sense.

GunTech
December 15, 2009, 11:08 AM
Synthetic, but get a GI fiberglass. It will hold up better than wood, is not effected by the elements and is lighter. There's a reason the military went with fiberglass. My rifles are working guns. Wood is for range queens.

Almond27
December 15, 2009, 12:39 PM
Wood is for range queens?? This comment wasn't serious I hope.

X-Rap
December 15, 2009, 12:42 PM
I look at it as one or the other in which case I have to say synthetic, for all the reasons I would want it on any gun.
Strength, weight, durability, moisture resistance, consistancy I'm sure there are others with looks being the most subjective.

Bronx
December 15, 2009, 02:53 PM
Nothing wrong with synthetic stocks.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/crop1-1.jpg

BUT, something about an M1A and wood that just screams battle rifle.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/crop9.jpg
Where did you get that gorgeous wooden stock? Standard issue? Nice!

W L Johnson
December 18, 2009, 11:43 AM
As of now it's 51 votes to 18 votes in favor of wood. I find it interesting that it started out 6 to 1 but Syn gained a lot of votes later to make it 2.8 to 1.

thanks to all who voted, if anyone else wants to vote go ahead.

W L Johnson
December 18, 2009, 11:44 AM

I want to know too, please

Farnham
December 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
I would get two stocks a synthetic you can paint and a wood when you want to dress it up.

This is what I did, got two synthetics from Fred for not much, Krylon'd em up, and now I can beat them up chasing pigs and coyotes. I also prefer the synthetic's wrist, the wood stock that came on mine isn't as comfortable to shoot for me, too fat (the stock, not me...well, me too).

madcratebuilder
December 19, 2009, 09:17 AM

That is a standard SA stock that I refinished with Fromby's Tung oil finish. Fromby's well give you a moderately glossy finish, straight Tung oil well give you a flat finish. What I like most about Tung oil is it really hardens the surface of the wood making it resistant to dents and dings. If you get a scratch it touches up very easy and well disappear.

Thanks for the compliments.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/crop7.jpg

GrendelPrime
December 19, 2009, 06:18 PM
I was looking at M1As and got wood. :D

Personally I like the 22" with a Walnut stock but the stainless just doesn't do it for me.

federalfarmer
December 19, 2009, 09:45 PM
Arrgggh! You guy's are killing me! I just got home the from the local gun store and had to pass on a used one. Not the right month for toy's for me. :banghead:

Some day.........man I want one.

Oh synthetic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Springfield M1A?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!