Is Your Favorite Hobby Firearms?

PDA

Golden_006
December 14, 2009, 01:08 PM
This poll sort of works with the other Millionaires thread

Other, choice 4, could be something like "I'm a diehard. I eat dog food just to buy ammo" or "I don't take vacation to have money for firearms" or "I do my own car repairs for firearms"

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Your Favorite Hobby Firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
December 14, 2009, 01:16 PM
yes, training, shooting, reloading, and cleaning guns in that order!

CoRoMo
December 14, 2009, 01:18 PM
Yes, it is easily my favorite, but not my most frequented due to the costs.

I dabble around with woodworking and welding a lot because I can afford it.

Legionnaire
December 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
Favorite is hunting, with firearms in general a close second. It was the former that expanded my interest into the latter.

Arkansas Paul
December 14, 2009, 01:23 PM
Definately my favorite. I'm a full time student right now and work part time, so I don't have the time or money to do all the shooting that I want to do. We've recently started reloading, so that helps a lot. I like doing anything that has to do with shooting. From hunting to plinking to skeet shooting to reloading. I fish a little and like to play golf, but I would much rather have the wonderful aroma of burned gunpowder filling my nostrils.

NMGonzo
December 14, 2009, 01:31 PM
travel by land

Is going to cost me a fortune to cross asia on a motorcycle.

Guns are a second far hobbie.

axeman_g
December 14, 2009, 01:38 PM
Nope....

I have kids and they are my most expensive hobby. I enjoy traveling with them, doing there sports with them, trying new things with the, Whatever is left over might go to guns/ammo.

9MMare
December 14, 2009, 01:38 PM
My (one and only) gun purchase was not started as a hobby. I felt it was, if not a necessity, a prudent idea.

I am much more involved in shooting now, because I enjoy it and have started practical action shooting to develop my skills with the club at the local range. Also, I like learning and developing new skills, so shooting is a good challenge.

Thus far it is not even close to as expensive as my other hobbies like horses, scuba, skiing, and buying tools and 'toys' to run my 'hobby' farm.

Edit: I'm reading the Millionaires thread and feeling a little guilty. I tend to respond to posts very 'literally.'

But altho I do like to spend my $$ on 'experiences' (rather than 'things' usually), I also have to make sacrifices elsewhere....2 vehicles both over 15 yrs old, an ancient horse trailer, my TV is over 10 yrs old (and I bought it used!), I'm not into clothes or shoes, etc. Life is all about compromise....but it's also about focusing on what you enjoy.

I'm thrilled when I read the threads here where people are spending their time and focus on their wives/husbands, families.

kanook
December 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
when I visit friends and family i try to go to gunstores in their area.

My vacations are planned around hunting seasons (yes we hunted on our honeymoon and we celebrate our anniversary hunting, lost a 12' (we think) gator this year on it)

zombienerd
December 14, 2009, 01:46 PM
My cars take a bit more money than my guns :) But I'd have to say it's a 60/40 split.

I love restoring old cars though... It's a bad habit :D

UranusDestiny
December 14, 2009, 02:02 PM
No, but its a close second. My favorite hobby is collecting die cast Robot action figures. As of right now, yeah, I've got far more money invested in robots than I do in Firearms.

http://www.collectiondx.com/review/chogokin/dygenguar_aussenseiter
This was my most recent purchase a few months ago.

Ester IX:XVI
December 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
have many hobbies: hiking, snowboarding, camping, basketball, drawing (with pencil and paper :) ) but as far as money spent its probably in this order: Gardening, collecting books and then guns.

Golden_006
December 14, 2009, 02:07 PM
Gardening? I'd never thought I'd see the day that anyone would have those 2 together

Walkalong
December 14, 2009, 02:07 PM
Three loves. Baseball, wandering in the woods, and shooting. Problem is I am now too old to play baseball. Last year was my last. So, that leaves shooting, and walking along through the woods. ;)

I should be able to do those two until shortly before I croak. :)

cjl8651
December 14, 2009, 02:09 PM
It's one of my favourite hobbies, but maintaining my car is pretty much a full-time "hobby."

Rat Robb
December 14, 2009, 02:11 PM
It seems that during the winter months guns is where most of my expendable cash goes but throughout the year I'd say that I spend the same or less on guns than my other hobbies. Just depends on what I "need" for my car or if I'm gonna get another tattoo.

-Robb

Ester IX:XVI
December 14, 2009, 02:20 PM
Golden 006, by gardening (and i do really love it) and preserving, we are able to live all winter on a small grocery bill, maybe i should tell millionare this.

McCall911
December 14, 2009, 02:29 PM
Firearms rank "up there" as an interest, but I have a couple of other things which might be called a hobbies that don't really cost any money.
Unfortunately, most of my money is currently tied up in things like groceries, car payments, utility bills, etc. :D

Internet Protocol Freely
December 14, 2009, 02:37 PM
Im sure alot of you will roll your eyes...

video games. Ive been playing video games since i was 3. im 24 now. I have a pretty big collection. I have NES, Top loading NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, 2 Sega Genesis, 1 fat ps2 1 slim ps2, ps3, xbox 360,Sega Saturn... Probably some others im forgetting... and thats just the stuff I still have.

Also Im a pretty huge computer nerd. I know alot about computer hardware in general. I build them. So all of my hobbies are pretty expensive. :(

Sav .250
December 14, 2009, 02:46 PM
Nope...... As i live in central Florida, bass fishing is my main hobby. Living close to the St John`s river (less than 5 mins drive) 3 or 4 days a week I hook up my bass-boat
and spend mostly the early hours of a day on the water. Afternoons to hot. Unless
I`m in a "T" that is.

dusty14u
December 14, 2009, 02:49 PM
It is one of my top hobbies and one of the more expensive ones right now. I am a musician- guitar to be exact. I have played for 35 yrs and it used to be more than a hobby as it payed bills. I have almost as many guitars as guns and I own several tube amps, which are expensive to maintain. I don't play for pay anymore but I do studio work and play for a large church where I have played on two different continents. We travel around quite a bit.

One of my other hobbies is Harleys but the one I have now is paid off and I am not jonesing to add another anytime soon. This is a hobby as well as practical transportation as it gets way better gas mileage than my cars do. I haven't had to invest much in it except for routine maintenance for a while.

I also fish and hunt but they seem to go hand in hand. I have an older bass boat and a kayak. The bass boat can soak up some money but I enjoy a good day of fishing. Heck, I even enjoy a bad day of fishing. Better than working. I have most of my gear bought so it is more a maintenance fee for fishing.

LeonCarr
December 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
Shooting first, handloading a very close second.

NWCP
December 14, 2009, 03:06 PM
I spend quite a bit of time hunting, or at the range. I also have been an avid motorcyclist for years. There's still plenty of room for family and friends though.

cfendley
December 14, 2009, 04:27 PM
Firearms and shooting is one of my favorite hobbies but it's not the one I do the most. I also spend a lot of time hunting in the fall and winter but over the years course I spend more time knife making or doing leathercraft. Firearms and shooting is an expensive hobby which is a big limiting factor. At least Knife making is a hobby that somewhat pays for itself if I don't count my time worth anything.

knights_armorer
December 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
guns first

these second
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHUyLeiMsWw&feature=related

conw
December 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
bodybuilding/weight training require a lot more time, money, and dedication from me than firearms, and actually firearms are basically just a means to an end for me at the moment. Which isn't to say I don't vote second amendment, etc. But I wouldn't really consider them a hobby.

browningguy
December 14, 2009, 04:51 PM
I do a lot of woodworking, just got this bad boy last month. A 12" Jointer/Planer combo machine, 500 pounds of cast iron and sharp steel blades.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/jet12jointerplaner.jpg

And I probably spend the most money on my coin collecting. Here are some of my Swiss Shooting Talers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Coins/Foreign/1865SwissTalerShaffhausenboth.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Coins/Foreign/1874SwissStGallenMS64BOTH.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Coins/Foreign/1876LausanneThalerMS63BOTH.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Coins/Foreign/1883Swiss5FrLuganoMS62Both.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Coins/Foreign/1934Swiss5FrfribourgBOTH.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Coins/Foreign/1934fribourgshootingfestivalplaque.jpg

Warhawk83
December 14, 2009, 04:56 PM
It's my favorite hobby. However I seldom have time or money that can solely be devoted to weapons. I have a 2 and 4 year old and I'm finishing up a Finance degree so money and time are scarce. Once finished with the degree, having a job and being completely set up for a few years, my wife will probably be saying " honey, did you just bring home another one???"

trol79
December 14, 2009, 04:59 PM
It's my favorite hobby too, thus I don't have anough money to spend as much time as I would like to.

CoRoMo
December 14, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hunting is the only vacation that I ever get, or ever really want. I'd like to go back to Puerto Vallarta someday, but hiking into the backcountry and taking a nice bull elk will do just fine.

jim in Anchorage
December 14, 2009, 05:12 PM
Flying kills me. I don't own a plane so I have to rent them at $135 a hour. Strangely enough to leave Anchorage to the north I fly directly over a great public range and will look down and think what a great day it would have been to do some shooting.

Grassman
December 14, 2009, 05:28 PM
I love guns, but it's second to me. I'm an avid boater, which consumes all of my summer. I think the gun/hunting thing is a great winter hobby to get me to spring when it's time for the lake.

The Bushmaster
December 14, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm an outdoorsman, fisherman, horseman, hunter, camper and hiker. Guns just seem to fit in somewhere...

Gunfighter123
December 14, 2009, 05:38 PM
50/50 = Guns/hunting/reloading and fishing .

BHP FAN
December 14, 2009, 06:43 PM
Leon Carr beat me to it:
''Shooting first, handloading a very close second...''

ohioshooter
December 14, 2009, 06:47 PM
Golf is my favorite with shooting being second....but I'd choose buying a gun over buying a new set of golf clubs.

iScream
December 14, 2009, 07:00 PM
I voted shooting as number one but I kind of run through hobby stuff in cycles. I also have a garage full of woodworking tools, a motorcycle, a DIY home theater, a mountain bike, inline skates, and a bunch of other stuff I hardly ever even look at. I haven't come close to spending as much on guns as I did on woodworking equipment.

My Suzuki Hayabusa will be paid off in a couple months so I'm trying to decide if I want to get another/different bike or spend that money on more gun stuff.

I used to really enjoy building computers ( first one I built was a 286 when they were state of the art ) but I don't find computer stuff nearly as enjoyable now that I write software for a living.

I'm also finding that I like working on my guns to some degree. I put and aftermarket sear and hammer in my Ruger MKIII about a year ago. I started installing a Springer Precision trigger kit in my XDm Saturday and I'm getting a Brazos trigger group kit for my STI Trojan for Christmas.

-Chris

huntsman
December 14, 2009, 10:51 PM
Is Your Favorite Hobby Firearms?

Not a hobby but a lifestyle. I used to hunt more in years past but now it's more shooting. I have no other passions to spend money on but ammo and guns.

War Squirrel
December 14, 2009, 11:25 PM
Firearms, camping and hunting are my favorite hobbies. I dabbled in coin collecting when I was younger, but no monstrous collection. As a hobby, the firearms and camping are my top priorities. Any leftover cash (which admittedly isn't much, or I'd have a PSL or AK by now...) goes into my insurance or gas... God I wish I had a good job...

SuperNaut
December 14, 2009, 11:30 PM
Guitars, Guitars, Guitars...

TimboKhan
December 14, 2009, 11:38 PM
I basically like doing three things other than spending time with my friends: Guns, Guitars and video games.

All three of those things I can do on my own, but I have entire long-term friendships based around those three things. I also have friends that don't do any of those things.

Also, I read a lot, but I don't consider that a hobby. That is just a way of life for me.

USA
December 14, 2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah it's my number 1 hobby. Guns/shooting/reloading is my favorite. I also like collecting coins/old US currency ($2 bills/Gold or silver certificates)/foreign currency, collecting sneakers, and playing spades.

Autolycus
December 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
I enjoy girls more. However I sometimes wonder what is more expensive, girls or guns?

I also enjoy reading and debating.

DammitBoy
December 14, 2009, 11:59 PM
My most expensive hobby is getting married, but guns and hunting run a close second...

Zoidberg523
December 15, 2009, 12:17 AM
I divide my time almost evenly between shooting/hunting and playing music (guitar, bass guitar). :p

WoofersInc
December 15, 2009, 03:12 AM
My other big thing is ATV's and motorcycles. Basically everything I own for fun runs on either gas or bullets.

Boolit
December 15, 2009, 03:52 AM
I'll have to say that guns and hunting are my loves. I'm totally retarded over it.

Tim the student
December 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
I guess guns and shooting are my first, but fishing is a relatively close second.

There is a park near me that we like to go camping at. It's definitely a good day when we can take a little hike, set a trot line, go shoot some rifles, go shoot some trap, come back, check the trot line, clean some cats up, then catch some walleye for dinner, put the trot line back out, and then wash it down with a couple beers. We hunt in there during season too. I think I could live there.

w1smc
December 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
This will give you an idea of my hobbies and things I love to do .....

Spending a day on a boat (with an all girl crew of course) off the coast of Cape Canaveral doing the following:

1. Fishing
2. Shooting my guns
3. Talking on my Ham Radios about ......
4. Riding my Ducati ....

There's nothing like heading out to a great fishing hole, watching the sun come up, drinking a beer and eating a baloney sandwich all at 0400 hours.... God I love life!

Ryder
December 15, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hobbies come and go. They are things I can live without. At some point I get hobbied out and lose interest in them moving on to other things with which to occupy my time. They serve no functional purpose in my life. Collecting things like frisbees, knives, buttons, coins. Learning how to throw edged weapons, use nunchuks, freestyle skateboard, surf, downhill ski. Or keeping a pet for example. These things are optional to my life... Hobbies.

Guns, cars, trucks, and motorcycles are more of a lifestyle feature to me. They are forever activities that serve a definite useful purpose. I won't live without them. They enable me to accomplish specific goals. I focus on one more than another at times but they are a permanent feature of my life. Like reading which is what I spend most of time doing these days. I do not feel these things are mere hobbies.

For an example most of you may be able to relate to... Do you consider your family to be a hobby?

Legionnaire
December 15, 2009, 09:00 AM
I'm an outdoorsman, fisherman, horseman, hunter, camper and hiker. Guns just seem to fit in somewhere... The Bushmaster said it better than I did (although I don't do the horse thing).

BURN
December 15, 2009, 03:43 PM
Firearms are so much of a hobby...I quit a career in Law-Enforcement to get a degree in gunsmithing...

Aran
December 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
Far from it.

Mt Shooter
December 15, 2009, 10:14 PM
I shoot a lot, reloading tends to be my second "hobby"

However Fishing seems to come in a close second.

Resto Guy
December 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
Nope. My main "hobby" is my GTO.

Wishoot
December 15, 2009, 11:17 PM
Boating is probably #1. Shooting is a very close #2.

Shooting in a boat would be heaven...

weisse52
December 15, 2009, 11:19 PM
My most expensive hobby involves bicycles. Bikes can get real expensive real fast.

CornCod
December 16, 2009, 12:20 AM
As a sometimes armed corrections official, I consider my relationship with firearms more professional than hobbyist. However, even before I became an armed government official I considered my use of guns more than a hobby. Sure, I get a great deal and fun and enjoyment out of it, very much like a hobby. The defense of myself and my wife is not a hobbyist concern, neither is the conviction that I am my country's last line of defense from a foreign invasion. Hobby is an inadequate word for me.

skiking
December 16, 2009, 12:32 AM
While most of my leisure money goes to shooting, it isn't my favorite hobby, but darn far up there. If I had to pay to get my scuba tanks filled it would be my most expensive hobby($24 100x per year), as it is now, scuba diving only costs me gas money to the lake. Skiing is pretty expensive, but using my rock skis all season helps make the skis last 2-3 years and I can't ski this winter.

-eaux-
December 16, 2009, 01:23 AM
R&R with the wife and kids definitely comes first. camping, fishing, etc...
i have taken a a page from my grampa's book of knowledge and have dedicated my change jug to purchasing guns/ammo.
i work two jobs to keep the lights on right now, and don't have the ends nor the means to throw money at a hobby of any sort. but my loose change at the end of the day/night add up with a little patience. as long as i keep my eyes on the prize and budget my spare change jug as my recreational fund, i find that i always have the means to buy licences and ammo to hunt groceries during hunting season. may even add up enough to aquire a firearm during the off season. my personal experience...

HoosierQ
December 16, 2009, 12:30 PM
I may or may not have answered right. I am more apt to spend time and money on my knives and leatherwork (usually making sheaths and holsters and mag carriers) with the actual range time coming in second...that's time. Money wise...maybe guns are number one due to their high unit cost and the cost of ammo.

So for me its knives and guns and making accessories for both...all wrapped up in one sort of mega-hobby.

Ed4032
December 17, 2009, 09:17 AM
Golf really eats into my gun budget.

acmax95
December 17, 2009, 12:14 PM
Not my #1 hobby but really close. Fishing (esp. Large Mouth Bass) is my number one thing, followed by shooting, hunting, then video games (PS3).

Magic_Man
December 17, 2009, 12:19 PM
Cars is my 1st. Guns is my 2nd. Guns is 1st right now though only b/c I don't have a 2nd car to play with like I normally do.

eric.cartman
December 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
Guns and only guns. Used to do programming for fun, not it's just a job.

Only real hobby i have now is guns!
Awsomness!!!

Vicious-Peanut
December 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
Guns, cars, and climbing.

School too, but thats more of pain in the ass than a hobby. :D

GunsAmerica Fan
December 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
This was a great idea for a thread I have to say, kudos. I can say that I play guitar and have for 20 years. I currently own 30, down from 125 a few years ago. I also build guitar amplifiers and tinker with other electronics projects. I fly fish, tie flies, own an antique car (1978 280z) and am an orthodox certified rabbi lol.

But guns are my favorite thing I do. I am an NRA life member and very involved in every aspect of the gun industry, especially 2nd Amendment freedom. I have been a SASS member since 1997 and live and breath guns just about every day of my life.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Your Favorite Hobby Firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!