Just picked up a Kel-Tec Sub2000

PDA

General Geoff
December 14, 2009, 01:18 PM
After months of searching, I finally found one and it was worth the wait. Blasted thing is so fun. It looks like it was made by Mattel, but I don't care. It's accurate, reliable, takes Glock mags (mine's in .40S&W), and is very compact and portable, especially when folded up. The best part is that since it's all plastic and so lightweight, I'm not afraid to toss it around or drop it, or get dings and scratches on it. It will make a superb trunk gun, and I'll probably make a compartment in a briefcase to hold it too. Talk about stealthy :)

Now I just need a silencer for it...

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up a Kel-Tec Sub2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mcdonl
December 14, 2009, 01:20 PM
I am just about certain that I enjoy shooting pistol caliber carbines most of all. Nice purchase, how about some pictures!

General Geoff
December 14, 2009, 01:24 PM
Don't have any pics of just the weapon yet, but here's a picture (http://www.shadowflareindustries.com/images/cpp/12-13-09/1212091624.jpg) of a friend of mine shooting it on Saturday, which is when I picked it up. I have a hundred rounds through it, and had a bunch of stovepipes, probably all caused by limp-wristing/not holding the stock firmly against the shoulder. The carbine recoils a bit more than you'd expect!

KBintheSLC
December 14, 2009, 02:43 PM
Congrats... great gun. I have a 9mm Glock 17 version and it rocks. It fits perfectly in my 15" laptop case.

wally
December 14, 2009, 03:04 PM
Centerfire Systems has the Korean 30 round Glock .40S&W mags for like $15 each. I stocked up on the mags figuring I'd eventually run into the gun that you now have, that or the Olympic dedicated lower AR that takes Glock mags.

--wally.

mcdonl
December 14, 2009, 03:07 PM
lol... yeah, that stance looks a little "akward".... yeah, .40 in a carbine does have a little pop to it...

Speedo66
December 14, 2009, 10:22 PM
I've got a G17 model and love it.

Only thing I didn't like was the cold metal tube stock and the front sight.

Covered the stock with a Tacticool cover, and replaced the front sight with an all metal sight from a Hi-Point 995.

Lots of info and ideas on the www.KTOG.com Kel-Tec owners site.

Enjoy

Byron
December 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
General, was it stove piping with one particular brand of ammo or style of bullet? Byron

lions
December 14, 2009, 10:45 PM
Nice buy, I have the 9mm glock 17 version. It folds up and fits into just about every bag in the house, not to mention it is the most fun gun I have, I love shooting that thing! Enjoy it!

Kymasabe
December 14, 2009, 11:45 PM
I had the 9mm version, put thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo thru the thing. Used to buy my ammo loose in ammo cans from Lancer Custom Ammo but I'm not sure they're around any more. Anyway, their reloads were great and I'd run hundreds and hundreds of them thru the gun at one range visit. Never had a feed or ejection problem with mine.
I bought the Kel-Tec stock extension and put a thin, dense piece of adhesive-backed foam on the tube for my cheek.
Otherwise, the gun was perfect. Even the sights were spot-on when I got it.
Pistol-caliber carbines are fun to shoot.

General Geoff
December 15, 2009, 01:30 AM
General, was it stove piping with one particular brand of ammo or style of bullet? Byron

I was shooting Remington UMC 180gr FMJ. Again, I'm fairly certain it simply stovepiped because of limpwristing. When I firmed up the hold against my shoulder, the malfunctions ceased.

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 15, 2009, 01:56 AM
Perhaps a piece of the frame is loose, and your tighter stance temporarily alleviated the problem?

General Geoff
December 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
Not sure what you mean by frame, but the rifle is pretty solid, no loose pieces that I can detect, and I have stripped it down to the point where I removed the bolt and spring. The shoulder stock is firmly affixed to the bolt tube, and the rest of the receiver does not have any play in it in relation to the bolt tube and/or barrel.

General Geoff
December 15, 2009, 02:19 PM
Also, as an aside, I just ordered four 15rd Glock 22 OEM magazines for the Sub2000. I know that Glock does not make any higher capacity .40S&W mags, but there's a third party manufacturer (Scherer) that makes 29rd .40S&W Glock-compatible mags. Anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable, worth getting?

Marlin 45 carbine
December 15, 2009, 07:24 PM
as #2, one of my nephews has the 9mm version and I have the Marlin Camp 9mm. fun and deadly accurate.

Yondering
December 15, 2009, 07:34 PM
...I know that Glock does not make any higher capacity .40S&W mags, but there's a third party manufacturer (Scherer) that makes 29rd .40S&W Glock-compatible mags. Anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable, worth getting?
There's a lot of mixed reviews (mostly negative) regarding the 29rd. Scherer .40 mag... Mine has always been reliable, though.

Also, the Korean company Victory, (http://www.botachtactical.com/vigl9mm33ma1.html) makes a 31rd. .40 S&W Glock-type magazine.
I just recently ordered one, and will let you know if I have any problems.

General Geoff
December 15, 2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Yondering! I ordered up three of those Victory mags since they're so cheap, and according to that site, they're guaranteed 100% reliable so if they're junk, I can just return them.

gpr
December 15, 2009, 08:03 PM
my subbie is s&w 9mm...it took a couple hundered rounds before my FTE stopped...just an other good reason to burn up some ammo...gpr

zstephens13
December 15, 2009, 08:10 PM
I know how awesome of a gun that is.
My friend decided to trade in 30% of his AR build and get this dinky little folding gun and then did all sorts of crazy stuff to it like adding a holographic sight so now it doesn't fold, putting a flashlight on it, etc.
I was a skeptic until i shot it. that thing shoots fast and it is FUN! and cheap!
good choice. its a toss up between that and a 10/22 for me right now...

X-Rap
December 15, 2009, 09:13 PM
Holy crap I ordered 4 of those mags and did half of my chrismas shopping too, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up a Kel-Tec Sub2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!