Which 9mm?

PDA

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 06:03 PM
alright I have made up my mind I am going to standardize my handgun calibers into 9mm. I would love to make it .40 or even .45 but I am standardizing so I only have to stock up on one pistol caliber 9mm is the gun that ALL my family can fire easily. It is also the cheapest center fire cartridge accepted as a 'man stopper'. Now I am just trying to find the gun for me, (these guns were accepted by all my family as fitting their hand and feeling comfortable)

so out of these options which should I get, and which should I get? Whatever has the highest vote is gets to be the gun I buy.

EDIT:crap, I forgot two pistols. Is there a way to add two more or am I stuck with the 6? This is my first poll so I have no idea. The two pistols I forgot are Taurus 24/7 and the Ruger P89.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dobrzemetal
December 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
you're going to get a million diffrent answers, here's the first one, Invest in a browing Hi-power.

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 06:09 PM
sorry put the poll up after your reply

SOCO
December 14, 2009, 06:12 PM
First to vote! I'm a die hard 92FS fan, and I fired my neighbor's PX4 Storm 9mm. That thing is light and very accurate, has a rail for a light/laser, and just looks cool too boot. It gets my vote, FWIW. Prob can't go wrong with the Hi Power or Bersa either though.

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 06:15 PM
deleted

bikerdoc
December 14, 2009, 06:17 PM
Cz 75

Creature
December 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
HP all the way. One of the most beautiful pistols ever designed.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/051003m.jpg

RUT
December 14, 2009, 06:21 PM
>>I forgot two pistols<<

And you also forgot the Springfield XD-9. ;)

Oldnoob
December 14, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Power with Witness and PX4 far behind 2nd. You can't even see rest of them from HP's leading point.

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
And you also forgot the Springfield XD-9.

The pistol is gonna be my bedside gun. So I wanted everyone to be able to use it in case I am not home, so it had to fit everyone's hand. Unfortunately the XD 9mm did not fit that criteria. But I do love that gun though. It is a very good pistol that if it fit everyone's hand it would have been on the list:)

Turbobuddha
December 14, 2009, 06:30 PM
I'm in for the Ruger SR-9. I have a couple of them and love em. Some other people though, not so much. There does seem to be a few flakey ones getting pass QC. One of mine has over 2000 rounds through it and the other, my EDC, has just a few hundred. I use teh one for training and it's been through some fun stuff; shooting through windshields, a good skid during a tueller drill onto hard concrete, some outdoor IDPA, etc. Very nice little pistol. I'm happy.

I would think though that if they could handle the SR9, an XD or M&P would work pretty good as well. Especially the M&P, I love the grip on that gun. Fits very nicely to the hand.

NG VI
December 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
Why is the EAA on the list but not CZ 75 and childrens?

Guillermo
December 14, 2009, 06:36 PM
other than some tiny concealable guns, there is only one 9mm that is on my must have list, the HK P7

mokin
December 14, 2009, 06:39 PM
No Glock? Just kidding. Browning High-Power.

The Bushmaster
December 14, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hi-Power and no clones...

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 06:43 PM
Why is the EAA on the list but not CZ 75 and childrens?

never cared for them, I really don't like how they look. I know that shouldn't keep me from trying it out for my family but I am stubborn.

dogtown tom
December 14, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hi Power for the win.

Your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will appreciate your taste and their good fortune to inherit a fine weapon.

It's a gun that never suffered a recall...

It is the 9mm all other 9mm's want to be....

It is the sidearm of the free world...

Made from steel, not recycled milk jugs...

John Moses Browning inspired...

Slim and smooth as a supermodel...

Choose a Hi Power and manly men everywhere will be jealous...

A new Hi Power will set you back at least $750, but you can easily find used HP's in near perfect shape for under $550. My last pawnshop Hi Power ran $450 OTD.

NG VI
December 14, 2009, 07:08 PM
never cared for them, I really don't like how they look. I know that shouldn't keep me from trying it out for my family but I am stubborn.

Really? The Witness is a near-exact clone. There are plenty of different shapes of 75 that all have that wonderful grip, from the full size 75 and 85B to the steel-framed 75 Compact, to the mini-75BD, the 75D PCR, and most of them are available in stainless, or nickel, black poly-coat, and often glossy blue. If the Witness makes the cut but the CZ doesn't aesthetically, what eliminates the CZ?

Just curious

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 07:11 PM
A new Hi Power will set you back at least $750, but you can easily find used HP's in near perfect shape for under $550. My last pawnshop Hi Power ran $450 OTD.

I will probably go after the clones because of cost and those FEG 9mm copies are very abundant around here for only about 280. The only real High powers around here cost 650 and up. Although If I get patient enough to wait till I have the money for it then I will get a real Browning High Power. It seems it will win the poll

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 07:13 PM
If the Witness makes the cut but the CZ doesn't aesthetically, what eliminates the CZ?

A friend of mine has a CZ, it must be an old version cause the front tapers down kinda like a High Power but to an extreme. That is the look I don't care for, yet for some odd reason I find High Powers beautiful. I am odd I know.

NG VI
December 14, 2009, 07:50 PM
Do either of these display that taper? I'm guessing you mean on the sides of the frame and slide towards the muzzle end right?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/CZ%20pistols/zespectre/CZ-75bSatin_001.jpg

a nine
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ75_files/image014.jpg

Oh and you've got a pretty great list of choices up, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.

stchman
December 14, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have a Ruger SR9 and I love it. Reliable, excellent price, very nice trigger. Over 1000 rounds and no FTEs or FTFs.

I saw one at a gun show for $420 out the door new.

It is a beautiful pistol.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9BrushedStainless/images/3301.jpg

For about another $100 more you can get a Glock 17. That might be as reliable as it gets.

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 08:48 PM
Do either of these display that taper? I'm guessing you mean on the sides of the frame and slide towards the muzzle end right?

yup, it just looks kinda weird to me. I might buy one, someday just because it is a nice combloc weapon.

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 08:50 PM
For about another $100 more you can get a Glock 17. That might be as reliable as it gets.

No offense to the glock fan club, but I just didn't like the feel of it. I the sigma has that same feel but not nearly as bad, the only reason it is up there is because it is cheap and did feel quite comfortable holding it.

Pilot
December 14, 2009, 08:56 PM
The Browning Hi Power is THE 9MM. If you can't swing that, get a CZ.

sprocket3
December 14, 2009, 09:01 PM
What is your budget and what are you looking for in the GUN? DA only or DA/SA or SA only. Good target and plinker or self defense only! How heavy of a gun do you want or can you have. Seems like your list is missing some key options and very short (Sig and CZ just to mention a few). You need to look at the entire line of CZ 75s as well.

Why can't you shoot a .40? My wife is 120 pounds and had never shot in her life and did fine with a Glock 23 in .40 with no complaints. You can hardly tell the difference at times.

Vonderek
December 14, 2009, 09:02 PM
While other designs are more modern, my vote would be for the Hi Power. Proven design, cheaper and more abundant mags available, parts availability, fits most hand sizes well, etc etc etc. Plus it's a timeless classic that is fun to shoot. My only concern would be if all your family members are familiar with the manual of arms and if not will all put in the time and effort to master it. It's not just a point and shoot gun like a DA.

Oyeboten
December 14, 2009, 09:07 PM
How 'bout the Vis Radon?

flyingdog
December 14, 2009, 09:11 PM
This is a no brainer, BHP.

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 09:15 PM
Why can't you shoot a .40? My wife is 120 pounds and had never shot in her life and did fine with a Glock 23 in .40 with no complaints.

I can shoot the .40 pretty easily, I have one in fact. But I am going to standardize my ammo into 9mm and only buy that caliber in large quantities. The guns chosen were because they fit everyone in my families hand, and 9mm was the only round that everyone could handle comfortably. It is also much cheaper, (9 bucks for practice ammo compared to 15 for .40). I have a High power in mind at a local gunshop for 655+tax that is winning. I have an unlimited budget technically cause whatever it is I have a 3rd job to pay for it. I also could buy 2 and a half FEG copies for that same money in this area.

sprocket3
December 14, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hi Power is a great option!

I would try to check out the CZ 75 B in 9mm. It should fit the same and looks very much like the Hi Power. Cabellas has them on sale for around $470 i heard. For $900 you could have 2 of them which is nice.

kingmt
December 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
I like the P89 & the 24/7. I just ordered a 24/7 for myself to carry & I pick it up tomorrow. It will be my second 24/7 & I selected it because the last one is very dependable, shoots great, & fells good. I got a 9mm 3" barrel sub-compact w/17+1 round high cap & 10+1 compact mags. I had to have the Titanium slide.

Good luck with which ever one you choose.

M2
December 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
Y'know, this is tantamount to asking a bunch of people to pick out a wife for you...everyone's tastes and dislikes are gonna be different especially when you don't narrow the field a little (blonde or brunette? Tall or short?).

I have always disliked the 9mm thanks to the 92F we were issued in the military. I never cared for that pistol and steered towards .45s and .357s in my collection (for the most part). But then I got an offer to trade a Kel-Tec P3AT that I bought off a bud as a favor (he wanted to get rid of it to buy something else) for a 3rd gen Taurus PT111. One of the magazines had a bent lip on it, so I called Taurus and they replaced it for free.

I really enjoyed the PT111 so when the PT709 Slim came out I got one of those as well. Both have been 100% reliable and are great guns. Inexpensive, mind you, but not cheap. I like that.

So there are tons of 9mm pistols for your consideration. Personally, I would steer towards the XD-9 as I have that pistol in .45 ACP and it is my favorite carry weapon. I don't understand your comment concerning the need for everyone to be able to use it, the XD is the most user-friendly pistol around. Both safeties don't require an additional action to disengage, so if it is loaded the shooter can basically grab, point and shoot. For all the people that I have let shoot mine, they all prefer it over my other pistols (both semi-autos and revolvers).

I would recommend going to a gun show and handling numerous 9mm pistols in your price range to see which one feels best to you. Better yet, if you can find friends with 9mms, or a gun range that rents the, take 'em out and see how they feel. It is like "dating," you don't marry the first girl you go out with; you "play the field" until you find the one you know is right for you!

Good luck!

Cheers! M2

Eightball
December 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
I voted for a HP. It's like the 1911 of 9mms (without actually being a 9mm 1911)--points easily, made how it should be made, it was ergonomically designed with an actual human hand in mind, and you can adjust the grips to suit your tastes.

red94yj
December 14, 2009, 09:44 PM
The BHP is an awsome pistol but I like the SR9 and rugers customer service.

Grease Monkey
December 14, 2009, 09:45 PM
If it were my choice, I'd get the Witness. Later on you might want to go a little bigger than the 9mm, and the Witness has some really good conversion kits.

If it were something other than the ones on your list, I'd say M&P9.

Guns and more
December 14, 2009, 09:47 PM
The gun is a tool. First decide what the job is.
Target? Concealed carry? Competition? Historical value? Sexy looks?
All are valid reasons.
Don't overlook the CZ-75 for high quality and reliability. Kinda big for carry.
Kahr PM-9, maybe the best CC gun out there (in 9mm.) Not a lot of fun at the range, but OK.
Springfield EMP. 1911 in 9mm. and sexy.
H&K P-30. Reliable, maybe CC, high quality. Maybe the last gun I'd part with.

Choices, choices.

I do agree with you about 9mm. Ammo is cheaper which equals more practice and that's good.

ccsniper
December 14, 2009, 10:58 PM
well, High Power it is.

Thanks guys!!!

Larry Ashcraft
December 14, 2009, 11:10 PM
Closed at author's request.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!