Missouri Bullet Company shop photos

PDA

MissouriBullet
December 14, 2009, 09:27 PM
What the heck. I took a few snaps with my Android before coming in from the shop, if anyone's interested in seeing where their bullets are born.

The alert among you will note one of the pigs. We start the day with a ton each of 2/6 and 1.33/4 alloy and work through most of both of them by midnight. The pigs weigh 58 lbs. each and we manhandle them directly into the Magma Mark 7's, each of which will eat one every 38 minutes or so, figuring on a 200 grain bullet in production. We try not to drop the pigs on our feet very often, especially the 1.33/4 pigs, because they dent so easily :-)

Sizers, casters, stock shelf, cart with 35 boxes of bullets (about a quarter of today's production), all captured in grainy, low resolution for your viewing excitement.

And Robert, my excellent night man, who managed to dodge out of all the other photos. I caught him when he wasn't looking.

Brad

If you enjoyed reading about "Missouri Bullet Company shop photos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Canuck-IL
December 14, 2009, 10:23 PM
Actually, not too grainy at all - thanks for sharing.
/Bryan

Roccobro
December 14, 2009, 10:26 PM
Yes. Thank you Brad for sharing. :)

Justin

atlanticfire
December 14, 2009, 10:29 PM
Cool! :eek: Just reminded me that I still need to order 500s and 45 #4s. Maybe when I get paid Friday.

Quoheleth
December 14, 2009, 10:29 PM
That's cool.

I've gotta ask. I see the fans; at least one was running. How warm does it get in the shop in the summer? Winter?

Jon

MissouriBullet
December 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
That's cool.

I've gotta ask. I see the fans; at least one was running. How warm does it get in the shop in the summer? Winter?

Jon
Well, those are exhaust fans to get the fumes out. We keep it toasty or cool in there, depending upon the season with a 4-ton HVAC unit. Before we got that wonderful thing, we measured the temp near the casters in late June and it was 124 degrees there. Now on the hottest of sunny days, it's as cool as we want it to be.

That must be why my electric bill is $400.00 a month now?

For heating, we have a fine little Charmglow 30k BTU fireplace that runs off the propane tank outside that keeps us warm after the first 10 minutes or so. I try to get into the shop around 0700 and get the building warm and start heating up the casters and sizers before the day shift arrives at 0800 (in theory.)

idahoglock36
December 15, 2009, 12:05 AM
Brad,

Great Job! How do you get away with only a $400 month power bill with the amount of lead you melt? If your going through a ton or two a day that is some serious power! Shop looks great! Thanks for the pics....and your op is great for product service and value......Congrats for the pics and your continued hard work!

Publius1688
December 15, 2009, 12:19 AM
Great pics! thanks for sharing them. Shop pictures rock.

tommyintx
December 15, 2009, 01:35 AM
can you describe/name the equipment you use?
I'm getting into casting.. not necessarily high quantities.. maybe 1000 per month of 45 200 or 230 grain swc/rns... my friend gave me a lubrasizer yesterday.. curious of what equipment i can get to expedite the process.. i see some collaters.. looks like the cam-dex and ammoload collaters i've seen.. for sizing? do you have a bullet feed setup on some sort of progressive sizer/swager/gas checker or something?

thanks
tommy

rondog
December 15, 2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the photos! Let me put this bug in your ear - "You Tube Video!" I think a LOT of people here would LOVE to see a video of the operation! I know I would anyway.

If there's anybody here that produces loaded ammo commercially, let's see videos from you too!

ArchAngelCD
December 15, 2009, 01:51 AM
That bucket of bullets in the middle of the first photo brings a tear to my eye, it's a beautiful thing...

Nice photos, thanks for posting them...

Seedtick
December 15, 2009, 02:05 AM
`
Thanks for the photos! Let me put this bug in your ear - "You Tube Video!" I think a LOT of people here would LOVE to see a video of the operation! I know I would anyway.

Here, here, Rondog. That's a great idea.

I for one have no idea what all is involved in making all those purty little boolits.

I vote yes for a vid!

ST

:)

Roccobro
December 15, 2009, 02:42 AM
I will have to agree on the Youtube cry. I can sit and watch machinery videos all day...

Jusin

twice barrel
December 15, 2009, 07:50 AM
Only wish the pics were larger so these tired eyes could see it better. Spent a number of years in a small operation not too unlike what you depict. Wet & applied many labels to small boxes and cased them up for shipment.

Great times and thanks for sharing yours.

Merry Christmas,

TB

MetalMan52
December 15, 2009, 07:52 AM
The pictures are great. Thanks for posting them. Somehow I pictured your shop being larger, just shows how much you have your act together. You guys absolutely rock, best customer service I have ever experienced.
I wish that the company that I work for was managed as well as yours.
Congratulation and continued success if the comming new year.
Pat

jmorris
December 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
Only wish the pics were larger so these tired eyes could see it better. Spent a number of years in a small operation not too unlike what you depict. Wet & applied many labels to small boxes and cased them up for shipment.

Great times and thanks for sharing yours.

Merry Christmas,

TB

Click on the photo and you will see the larger version.

MissouriBullet
December 15, 2009, 10:15 AM
can you describe/name the equipment you use?
I'm getting into casting.. not necessarily high quantities.. maybe 1000 per month of 45 200 or 230 grain swc/rns... my friend gave me a lubrasizer yesterday.. curious of what equipment i can get to expedite the process.. i see some collaters.. looks like the cam-dex and ammoload collaters i've seen.. for sizing? do you have a bullet feed setup on some sort of progressive sizer/swager/gas checker or something?

thanks
tommy
The casting equipment is all Magma Engineering Bullet Master Mark 7's. We have a Mark 8 on order, should be here in 3 weeks. The sizers are all Magma Engineering Lube Masters. We have 5 M-A Systems collators and one Howell CNC collator, which is a much heavier-duty unit and which we use exclusively for the difficult .380 and Makarov bullets. We'll be replacing the M-A's with Howells over time, as they are better collators and require much less service and will handle more load.

Magma makes great stuff but man, talk about constant adjustments! A challenge to the mechanically impaired, like me. The Mark 7's do about 3200 bullets per hour (depending upon the bullet) and the Lube Masters run at about 4,000 per hour. What I enjoy doing is setting up 2 or 3 sizers to run a tub of 20,000 of the same bullets and watch that pile of bullets get finished in 2 hours or so.

We try to make 3 or 4 different bullets every day. With some of the very hot ones, we will routinely do a "stocking run" of 2 full days of production (day + night shift) and wind up with 70-80k of that bullet. The SmallBall 9mm is our most popular bullet and we do that one in that manner every 10 days or so.

Brad

rockdoc806
December 15, 2009, 10:42 AM
The pictures are great. I too, vote for a You Tube Video. Thanks also for explaining what we are looking at. Congratulations on a very good product and your excellent customer service.

MissouriBullet
December 15, 2009, 04:12 PM
Don't you feel sorry for our maillady? That's 44,000 bullets.

m&pc9
December 15, 2009, 05:37 PM
The last order I had of 2000 bullets. The mail lady wouldnt bring it to the house. She left a note it was too heavy and I had to pick up at post office.

MissouriBullet
December 15, 2009, 05:49 PM
The last order I had of 2000 bullets. The mail lady wouldnt bring it to the house. She left a note it was too heavy and I had to pick up at post office.
Actually, I believe that they are required to deliver the mail. They will attempt to evade that responsibility sometimes, depending upon the carrier.

Joemyxplyx
December 15, 2009, 06:02 PM

My mailman always puts the boxes on the porch.

Once I took a box of 3,000 back to the post office. The box had to be at max weight - 70lbs or so. Now I'm 275lbs, I work out and rehab houses. I'm pretty strong. I picked the box up and put it on the counter like it weighed half as much just to watch the mail lady - about 5'8", 140lbs - struggle with the box. She picked it up and slipped it behind the counter with as much ease as I used putting it on the counter.

For some reason, our postal people are inordinately strong. Maybe something to do with being rural Ohio country folk. Or maybe she had seen the box of bullets on the counter trick before. :)

twice barrel
December 15, 2009, 06:40 PM
Just wait until your old or frail. Between arthritis and carpal tunnel amongst other things I found my order of 1000 difficult to get to the bench. 2000 will be a real booger.

TB

dagger dog
December 15, 2009, 07:41 PM
Now thats what I call GETTING THE LEAD OUT!

Very professional looking operation, neat and clean, you can always tell when someone takes pride in their work(product)!

m&pc9
December 15, 2009, 07:49 PM
My mail lady is very nice, so I didnt have a problem with going to the post office.

flashhole
December 15, 2009, 07:52 PM
MissouriBullet - Thanks for sharing the pics. I share the same sentiments of others who posted but can you clarify something for me.

We try not to drop the pigs on our feet very often, especially the 1.33/4 pigs, because they dent so easily :-)

What is it that dents? The pig or your feet?

MissouriBullet
December 15, 2009, 08:40 PM
MissouriBullet - Thanks for sharing the pics. I share the same sentiments of others who posted but can you clarify something for me.

We try not to drop the pigs on our feet very often, especially the 1.33/4 pigs, because they dent so easily :-)

What is it that dents? The pig or your feet?

The pigs (well, the 1.33/4 ones) dent because they're the soft alloy we use for the Cowboy line.

They don't hurt our feet because we're all tough guys around here :-)

iScream
December 15, 2009, 09:01 PM
Nice. I would like 100,000 38 Special and 100,000 9mm, please. :D

MissouriBullet
December 15, 2009, 09:19 PM
Nice. I would like 100,000 38 Special and 100,000 9mm, please. :D
Friday work for you? :-)

Afy
December 16, 2009, 05:56 AM
What is a Pig in this context. The only Pig I know is the one that goes oink!

More pics and video please. :)

iScream
December 16, 2009, 08:51 AM
Friday work for you? :-)
Yes, Friday will be just fine. Can we do the 50 easy installments payment plan?

I was here when the mail lady delivered the first 2000 bullets I ordered from you guys. She is pretty small framed but brought them right up to the door and rang the bell. I was trying keep the dogs from getting out while she was standing there will all that lead in her hands. She did give me a pretty annoyed look at that point.

-Chris

MissouriBullet
December 16, 2009, 09:23 AM
What is a Pig in this context. The only Pig I know is the one that goes oink!

More pics and video please. :)
A pig is a huge ingot with ears that you can get a forklift under.

We'll go ahead and do some video here pretty soon. It'll be a new adventure for me, so I don't promise quality results :-)

LAH
December 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
Don't you feel sorry for our maillady?

I had a great Postmaster. This lady could wheel bullets.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/PostOfficebullets.jpg

MissouriBullet
December 17, 2009, 11:08 AM
I had a great Postmaster. This lady could wheel bullets.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/PostOfficebullets.jpg
Now that's my kind of postal lady! The one we have expects us to load up her vehicle. I'm not sure what she's being paid for, exactly :-)

LAH
December 17, 2009, 06:02 PM
Now that's my kind of postal lady! The one we have expects us to load up her vehicle. I'm not sure what she's being paid for, exactly

Before you get too mad at her I took these to the post office.:) Dry Creek's Post Office is in the jot-em down store at the mouth of the hollow. I could leave bullets there anytime the store was open. The store owner would put them in the post office for me, pay the postage & I would settle up next time I came through. This is called living the life of a Creeker.:D

mhillsing23
December 18, 2009, 12:04 PM
Cool photos, thanks for sharing!

Robert Palermo /Penn Bullets
December 18, 2009, 12:28 PM
Well, those are exhaust fans to get the fumes out. We keep it toasty or cool in there, depending upon the season with a 4-ton HVAC unit. Before we got that wonderful thing, we measured the temp near the casters in late June and it was 124 degrees there. Now on the hottest of sunny days, it's as cool as we want it to be.

That must be why my electric bill is $400.00 a month now?

For heating, we have a fine little Charmglow 30k BTU fireplace that runs off the propane tank outside that keeps us warm after the first 10 minutes or so. I try to get into the shop around 0700 and get the building warm and start heating up the casters and sizers before the day shift arrives at 0800 (in theory.)

Don't feel bad. my electric bill is 575.00 a month without air condtioning.
Of course some insulation on the walls and ceiling would help a lot. My shop is fully insulated with an all drywall finish interior and the casting is seperated by its own room with its own hvac system. Nice pics and set up though. :D

MissouriBullet
December 18, 2009, 01:59 PM
The electric bill is only $400.00 because we *do* have 6" insulation on all walls and ceiling, backed by plastic. It's all behind the walls.

And the $400.00 includes electricity for the house as well, where our Compaq/HP DL585 5-U dual-power supply 4-way multicore Opteron servers run. Each of them has 4 drives and run external DNS, mail, ftp, web, and the MySQL backend, then we have the little HP 360's that run our internal DNS and DHCP, plus of course all the office workstations. Those DL585's' suck as much power as our central air unit.

Probably next year we're going to put up a 60x60 building. I'm tired of storing the lead outside and want to make it easy for the semi's to back right up for us to get the 22 pallets straight into the warehouse area. Then we can have office/reception plus manufacturing plus inside storage. If we build it 16' high, we can put in a loft and have living space for illegals, which would reduce our labor costs :-)

We'll see. Things are getting cramped and we have a Magma Mark 8 coming in 2 weeks so we're going to have to re-arrange already cramped quarters. We've shipped over 12,000,000 bullets so far this year and next year is going to be at least double that. We need more room!

LAH
December 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
Gee guys..................glad I'm a one man operation.

MissouriBullet
December 18, 2009, 05:48 PM
Gee guys..................glad I'm a one man operation.
{chuckle}

Lynn, our employee absenteeism is so rampant that half the time, we are a one-man shop, too.

buck460XVR
December 18, 2009, 07:02 PM
We'll go ahead and do some video here pretty soon. It'll be a new adventure for me, so I don't promise quality results :-)

youtube? hell......you'd make a good episode for "How it's Made" or "How do they do that?".

MissouriBullet
December 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
youtube? hell......you'd make a good episode for "How it's Made" or "How do they do that?".
I'll start scouting for stunt doubles immediately :-)

Rodentman
December 18, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thank you very much for sharing the photos. I try to always have a good supply of MO bullets on my bench! As soon as I test my EFK barrel in my G17 I'll be ordering a bunch of 9mm. I shoot .38 Match, Cowboy #5, and Elmer K .44. Great stuff. Great service.

LAH
December 19, 2009, 08:33 AM
Lynn, our employee absenteeism is so rampant that half the time, we are a one-man shop, too.

I've dealt with customers, stores, writers, suppliers, the postal systems, etc. and can't imagine trying to deal with employees at the same time. My hat's off to you guys.

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

December 19, 2009, 08:35 AM
Yea, I know what you mean as we just passed over 16,000,000 bullets this year ourselves and still can't catch up. So I'm going to open a second production shop that will be larger than the current one to handle the ever increasing onslaught of orders. It'll also be time to double out the foundrys production to cover the expansion. Oh well its only money.:D

By the way, a good friend of mine who was with the State Supreme Court in PA has written a series of books geared towards us gun owners and the first printing has just been released. The title of the book is: "They came for our guns, They came for our freedom." Great read. check it out at
www.williamlafferty.com

LAH
December 19, 2009, 08:49 AM
Robert how much do you think is panic ordering? I know the run on powder & primers has been fantastic...............Lynn

December 19, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have been thru this three times before. The first was the threat of the Brady Bill, the second was the Y2K scare and the third was 9/11. Now its obvious that everyone is really scared about the current political climate in a way that I have never seen. Makes me wish Hillary had won as at least she was a known evil and would never have had the ambition to totally remake the country and its politics like this guy is doing. Just look at the current strong arm tactics about the vote on the Health care bill that still hasn't been released and is pushing for a vote this Christmas eve.
You couple that with the loss of bullet casters that closed over the last 3 years, a gap that created a 250,000,000 bullet shortfall across the country and you start to get some sense of whats playing right now. As I talked to one of the major gun distributors his read was that this was worse than the 3 previous events I outlined above, all combined is how bad this is.
Now bear in mind that this SOB hasn't really turned his dogs all the way loose on us and that theres no serious legislation against us pending yet.
What do you think will happen when the first wiff of that gets going?
And you think we are behind now? Nothing that Brad or I can do in the next year will cover that surge when it happens. Thats why my friends book is so timely right now as it covers this very issue under this administration and the resulting fallout.
The downside is that we are gambling that we won't be legislated out of buisness or new restricions placed on us that will litterally kill our buisness. I'm not worried as I 've been at this for 30 years anyway so I'll just retire out but for others?????
Also if the dems lose the control of Congress in 2010 then we crash and burn also as the panic subsides and we are relegated back to just normal pre- panic levels of production. So thats another problem that happens after each of these panic ridden drives. As the Chinese say, may you live in interesting times.

MissouriBullet
December 19, 2009, 09:35 AM
I completely agree with every point. We could easily get taken out by a stroke of the pen, even at the hand of an EPA bureaucrat rather than via legislation. So we are indeed gambling with our livelihoods. Every piece of new equipment we buy might be worth its scrap metal value tomorrow and so any expansion moves us into scary territory.

But there are some redeeming elements in the stream of possibilities. Foremost among them is that this is still America and Americans tend to start behaving like Americans when they awaken to a threat and they are awakening now. And another element which I will touch on very lightly is my firm belief that the Second Amendment is only needed when it's been revoked. 'Nuf said.

I do think, though, that demand will never return to the previous routine levels we had before the election and that is because of the new reloaders. I have never seen such a surge and it continues. Once people start reloading, few will stop just because ammo availability and pricing return to normal levels. And so I foresee continued, growing demand regardless of what happens next year.

I do have a secret exit strategy, though, if we are suddenly put out of business. Lead is a base metal which will always have value and it is likely to continue to appreciate over time. Every nickel of revenue we can spare from our operation goes towards the purchase of more foundry lead. That's my nest egg. If I can go out of business with a hundred tons or more of lead on hand, I will be able to live reasonably well the rest of my days. But I don't think it will come to that, as I am an optimistic person who really does believe America is going to come back. Or we could move to South Africa and export our products :-)

I will check out your book recommendation. In return, I will commend to you John Ross' "Unintended Consequences" if you have not yet read it. I will note that Mr. Ross (a fellow Missourian who lives on the opposite side of the state) lifted the derisive moniker for Chuck Schumer for his book which I created and used in my own political writings of the time, which is "Lizard Face."

He does have a Lizard Face, doesn't he?

December 19, 2009, 11:52 AM
Ditto!

spartywrx
December 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
Cool pictures guys. Thanks for sharing.

MissouriBullet
December 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cool pictures guys. Thanks for sharing.
Well probably I will regret this, but last night i ordered a pretty good quality Cisco/Linksys IP camera. In a week or so we'll probably have semi-live video coming from the shop available through web browsers.

snuffy
December 19, 2009, 02:09 PM
Well probably I will regret this

I don't think so_____-------------. Why would you regret publicity? The more we can see, the more we can trust your bullets! Or should I say "they" because I make my own cast boolits!;)

MikeS.
December 20, 2009, 01:55 AM
My mailman knows to leave the heavy packages at the garage door.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missouri Bullet Company shop photos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!