1911 Question

PDA

Wedgester
December 14, 2009, 11:29 PM
For the guys who carry a 1911 with a 5 inch barrel with your CHL. Is it to long or do you wish you had a 4 inch barrel instead. If you carry a 5 inch how are you carrying it and driving with it. Thanks for any info.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MICHAEL T
December 14, 2009, 11:35 PM
I can carry if I have a good raked holster. Other wise to long when sitting This why I own more Commanders and Compacts

jlg
December 14, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have a 4" and wish I had a 5". The 4" is very easy for me to conceal and I'm only 5'8" 165lbs.

Ridgerunner665
December 14, 2009, 11:41 PM
I prefer the 4.25" barrel (or 4")...

But whats most important is the grip length...thats what is hard to conceal for some people.

My 1911 is built on an "Officers frame"...it holds one less round of ammo, but its much easier to conceal.

Get a 1911 with the 4.25" barrel and officers frame...in my opinion, thats about as close to perfect as it gets.

Examples...Baer Stinger, DW CCO (not sure about the barrel length on that one), Sig C3...there are a couple more also, but that should get you started.

Guillermo
December 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
the flatness of the 1911 make it relatively easy to conceal if you wear much in the way of clothes

Ridgerunner665
December 14, 2009, 11:51 PM
BTW...since the OP mentioned "driving with it".

I'm an OTR truck driver...driving 9-11 hours a day, everyday...with a 1911 on my hip.

A full size does not work so well, or at least it didn't for me...the one I mentioned above works great...for me.

Wedgester
December 15, 2009, 12:07 AM
Great info. I was looking at a Kimber CDP ll in the Custom--Pro--and Compact. The Compact is the only one with the officer frame or shorter frame. Funny thing is that I believe they are all 7 shot clips???? Wouldnt the Custom and Pro be 8 shot clips. The custom is a 5 inch barrel with the other 2 being 4 inch.Thanks again for any info.

Custom CDP--5 inch barrel full frame

Pro--4 inch barrel full frame

Compact--4 inch barrel Officers Frame

Can you get a regular size hand around a officers frame. I don't want another short grip gun or pinky finger hanging off?

Ridgerunner665
December 15, 2009, 01:50 AM
My hands ain't exactly little...the gun fits me just fine.

The 7 round Tripp mags have a base plate on them that adds a bit of length (just enough)

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 15, 2009, 01:58 AM
I'm about 6'3" ish, and I carry a 5" model everywhere.

It's uncomfortable at times, but never unbearable.

Oro
December 15, 2009, 04:05 AM
I gave up on carrying 5" 1911's about 1994/5. I don't mind carrying a 4 1/4" Commander nearly as much. A 2.5" revolver is even easier to carry. I had a slick Alessi IWB and tried all kinds of other slick arrangements. At the end of the day, the barrel was still 5".

Demitrios
December 15, 2009, 05:59 AM
Honestly it depends mostly on the holster and somewhat on the weather and how you dress around it. I have an IWB yaqui holster for a full sized 1911 and you can barely tell it's there when I'm just wearing a t-shirt. No matter what you choose you need to remember, ultimately, dress around your gun. A good holster will give you a lot of options but that's the bottom line, dress around your carry piece.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!