8mm Mauser

PDA

oz_lowrider
December 15, 2009, 06:18 AM
Anyone got an opinion on the 8mm Mauser as a cartridge. And I would like some ideas on what game size you feel it would handle.

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atlanticfire
December 15, 2009, 07:11 AM
I hand load for 8mm and I feel it can be compared to the 30-06. Maybe a bit shorter. I've only ever hunted out here on the shore so I've never used it for anything bigger than plan old white tail. But its a got cartridge.

SaxonPig
December 15, 2009, 09:51 AM
The 8x57 is the 30-'06 of Europe. Similar performance, but less variety in ammo and bullets for reloading are available. A caliber that demands reloading for max performance. A couple years ago some outfit was pretty much giving away surplus 8x57 ammo (before the current shortage started) and I stocked up to feed my M98 sporters like this one.

http://www.fototime.com/5CEEF8D30C654A5/standard.jpg

NCsmitty
December 15, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hand loading or European factory loads makes the 8mm Mauser a very potent round for anything up to big bear. It is the equal of the 30'06 in hunting situations when loaded to it's potential.
Factory ammo produced in the US is generally loaded down to allow safe use in some of the early rifles chambered in old versions of the 8mm with different bore sizes.

NCsmitty

Kurt S.
December 15, 2009, 12:41 PM
I have 2 complete Mausers, a Turk that I put together from two other rifles, and a Yugo that was absolutely cherry when I bought it. I also have 3 unstocked barreled actions that I'll do something with eventually.

The US 170 grain commercial loads are just north of 30-30 power range. I have a supply of Sellier & Bellot 196 grain SPCE rounds. I wrote to the company regarding applications a few years back and they were nice enough to answer me. The long & short of it is that they unreservedly recommended the round for use on any large game animal in the lower 48 states. They stated that the round is used in Europe with great effect on large boar and red deer, which approach elk in size.

Dr.Rob
December 15, 2009, 02:20 PM
Anything up to moose. That round, in it's original European loading is pretty stout. (196 gr bullet @ 2600fps is on par with heavy .30-06 loads)

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!