Thunder 5

PDA

Lord Soth
January 20, 2003, 01:59 PM
Does anyone have any experiences with a Thunder 5? Is it a good gun? How much does the .410 shot shell scatter when it is fired from a Thunder 5?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Thunder 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
January 20, 2003, 05:17 PM
I've fired a cylinder-full from one, and my impression is that it's a solution in search of a problem. The thing is so large and awkward that it would be like trying to conceal a goiter or a siamese twin, and the actual mechanics of the thing didn't impress me. It's a "neat" revolver, but I'd rather choose a snubby 357 if you're looking for a carry piece. At 15 feet, I got a 410 pattern about 6 inches in diameter (~#4 shot).

EJ
January 20, 2003, 07:17 PM
It's a great gun--(FOR IT'S PURPOSE) which is mostly specialized.
They make a neet squirrel and Bunny gun--Though in most states that's illegal-
They are huge and heavy and interesting--
Built on a Charter arms grip frame-- (Not made by Charter but they fit those grips)

Buit their really usefullness is perhaps a mystery--
I had fun with mine while I had it--But what can you do with it????

Jim March
January 20, 2003, 08:35 PM
Ah yes, the "Chunder Five", strong candidate for the dubious crown of "world's ugliest gun" :p.

Everybody who sees one has an initial reaction of "neeeto!", if they get past "yuck!", even if they come across the Calif-legal version chambered in 45-70 :what:. Contrary to what somebody said above, most states didn't classify the 45LC/410 version as a "sawed off shotgun" but California sure as hell did.

Sure would scare a Goblin though, wouldn't it?

http://www.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2002-12-29/wool1_1041296214_thunderfive.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=7003432

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=7018819

Wow, it had AMBI SAFETIES, I'd forgotten about that!

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=7106448

Brutal, wretched excess at it's sickest :D.

PlayTheAces
January 20, 2003, 08:40 PM
A buddy of mine has one, and told me it's more of a conversation piece than anything else. He took it out and shot it one time, and said that once was enough. He calls it his "cartoon gun".

Mike Irwin
January 20, 2003, 08:43 PM
Absolutely NEVER EVER fire shot in one of these against any type of target where the shot could rebound!

When I was with American Rifleman we got one in to test fire.

I was standing with the tech who was test firing the gun with shells loaded with No. 6 shot.

The nailer for the targets was a 2x4 at the top edge of the trap. At 15 feet, the pattern thrown was so wide that many of the shot hit the 2x4 nailer.

Even worse, though, was that because of the short barrel, the No. 6 shot didn't get enough velocity to penetrate the soft pine 2x4, and they rebounded back at us.

I was hit with at least 4 pellets that rebounded -- in the neck, right ear, cheek, and 1 in the shooting glasses I had on, dead center with my right eye.

The tester was also struck with several pieces of rebounding shot.

In a room, where there are a lot more surfaces from which the shot can rebound, I can only imagine that it would be a LOT worse.

Quite frankly, the Thunder 5 IS silly.

Shot loads are pretty much worthless out of it.

The 3-ball buckshot loads showed horrible accuracy at 15 feet with patterns of 20" or more.

The .45 Colt bullets also showed pretty hideous accuracy, but at least would be marginally passable.

If I were broken down in a bad neighborhood, I'd want my Beretta or one of my Smith .357s.

If you need a gun, get a gun. If you want a toy, there are toys out there that are a lot cheaper.

Johnny Guest
January 21, 2003, 01:52 AM
- - -Especially from Mr. Irwin, concerning the American Rifleman testing.

I never liked the looks of the Thunder Five, and the two examples I have handled seemed very clumsy and awkward to handle. Never bothered firing one, and I'm just as glad. My first thought was that it might make a decent survival kit gun, for someone who doesn't care much about guns in general--You know, foraging for small game and perhaps protection. Given Mike's comments about it, though, I doubt penetration OR patterning would be sufficient for bird shot use, and accuracy doesn't look sufficient for adequate self defense. Oh, well, I wasn't in the market to begin with.

As an aside, one T5 was prominently featured in the movie "Three Kings" with George Clooney. A young soldier in Desert Storm was using one to shoot aerial targets and carried it as his sidearm.

Best,
Johnny

JMLV
January 21, 2003, 04:28 PM
movie "Black Dog" with patrick swazie as a truck driver smuggling a crateloads of ak-47's and Thunder Fives! swazies driving partner apropates one for his own use after a hijack attempt.
for 410 use I think a american derringer alaskian model(410/45 colt caliber) with the 8" barrels and over sized grips would make a better mini double shotgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thunder 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!